Dave Hakstol: new HC

RJ8812

HAAAAKKKKSSSTTTTOLLLLL!!!!  I hope his uptempo style translates to the NHL. No way that Umberger, Lecavalier and turnover machine MacDonald are back, and Grossman will probably be moved. A college coach with no Flyer connections, no matter how successful, would have been the last place I would have thought they would have looked, other than in the KHL for one. Also, I am VERY encouraged by the fact that Hextall is at least starting to tap into the Russian pipeline for skilled players. Yeah, I'm a little late to the commenting on Hakstol party.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way that Umberger, Lecavalier and turnover machine MacDonald are back,

where on earth are they going?  I dont see anyone taking any of these 3 honestly...   if VLC has not been moved by now he is going nowhere unless he retires after his July bonus.   MacDud is staying - sorrry man, nobody in their right mind is going to take on that contract unless Homer becomes the GM of another Team.   RJ? lol....

Hakstol signed a 5-year deal worth $10 million...not sure if this has been reported anywhere the length and how much he was making it is the first i seen about it.

Interesting 

During his 11 seasons at North Dakota, no team, not even Boston College, had more wins. Hakstol's team advanced to the Frozen Four more times (seven) than storied programs Boston University, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Maine and Notre Dame qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

He reached the Frozen Four with nine seniors one year, then with 13 freshmen the next season.

@OccamsRazor  When I posted his frozen four appearances, I was quickly reminded that he never won one....but this looks more and more like a VERY promising hire. Pumped for this upcoming season and a FRESH new start. The great part is Hak has no preconceptions about who is doing what, so he will be a fresh set of eyes, and some of the previous "favourites" will all be on even ground....looking forward to that as well.

I was quickly reminded that he never won one

Yeah that is about the only knock i can find on the guy....going from Berube to him....i like it a lot...at least it seems he has a plan is good with kids and is willing to adapt during a game and try different thing to yield a win. It a huge brick in the foundation and soon when the kids arrive to mesh with the current core i think it will be the vehicle they will drive to more than just one Cup wins...like the Hawks and Kings have done with their club...drafting with the right combo of free agents.

But first things things first get the club playing sound consistent hockey and the playoffs and success will follow.

@OccamsRazor When I posted his frozen four appearances, I was quickly reminded that he never won one....but this looks more and more like a VERY promising hire. Pumped for this upcoming season and a FRESH new start. The great part is Hak has no preconceptions about who is doing what, so he will be a fresh set of eyes, and some of the previous "favourites" will all be on even ground....looking forward to that as well.

Good post. Agree. I know it's prolly a long shot, but I hold out some hope that Hakstol and his fresh eyes gives players the opportunity to reinvent themselves, start over, new beginning. So guys like McDud, Like, even Read.

@Podein25   I like the fact that his system revolves around a strong 200 ft game and he requires strong skaters to carry that out. That means the weak skaters will be weeded out eventually, which is great news. That is exactly the kind of thinking that is required to compete with the Tampa Bays, Montreals and Rangers in the East. For to long, the Flyers craved big, strong and mean....and speed took a back seat. Hakstol will fix that, with the help of Hexy, who I believe has the same kind of vision for the team....or he would not have hired Hak in the first place.

Hakstol signed a 5-year deal worth $10 million...not sure if this has been reported anywhere the length and how much he was making it is the first i seen about it.

Interesting 

During his 11 seasons at North Dakota, no team, not even Boston College, had more wins. Hakstol's team advanced to the Frozen Four more times (seven) than storied programs Boston University, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Maine and Notre Dame qualified for the NCAA Tournament.

He reached the Frozen Four with nine seniors one year, then with 13 freshmen the next season.

He was probably getting paid around the same to coach at UND

He was probably getting paid around the same to coach at UND

He was making only 300K per year at ND but i think he made about 430K with incentives he made. So that is a nice pay raise i'll say...hard to turn that down.

Yeah that is about the only knock i can find on the guy....going from Berube to him....i like it a lot...at least it seems he has a plan is good with kids and is willing to adapt during a game and try different thing to yield a win. It a huge brick in the foundation and soon when the kids arrive to mesh with the current core i think it will be the vehicle they will drive to more than just one Cup wins...like the Hawks and Kings have done with their club...drafting with the right combo of free agents.

But first things things first get the club playing sound consistent hockey and the playoffs and success will follow.

i know he wants speed on this team but what kind of conditioning does he want this roster to have? not in terms of size but does he want his players to gain weight and bulk up? because i have so many players skate and get knocked down so easily, accept for Simmonds and voracek because they are big in in terms of weight and have alot of speed. speed is important to have but they have to be strong as well, so they dont get easily knocked down.

@FD19372

We can only pray that Umberger/VLC/McDud aren't back...reality tells me they will be. At least for one more slow, agonizingly painful season.

I know I am in the minority on this, but I am actually willing to give Umburger a second chance.  I keep hearing his right hip basically made him a handicap last season, which is why after each game he was spending about 40 minutes laying down on a bench and resting without moving.  Add a recurring issue of an abdomen, the mere fact that he was able to dress and play was a miracle.

With both issues taken care through surgery, I honestly don't think it would be much of a stretch to think we will be seing a reborn RJ in the 2015-2016.  For one, the Flyers don't have much of a choice as he is under the contract and I don't know how much any GM will give you back for him.  

VLC and Muc Dudd, on the other hand, yeah.... the sooner, the better.

after each game he was spending about 40 minutes laying down on a bench and resting without moving.  Add a recurring issue of an abdomen, the mere fact that he was able to dress and play was a miracle.

I'm all for giving people second, third even fourth chances - hell, it's a miracle I'm still married.

But if that was the case with Glueburger, if he was really barely able to play, why was he playing? I guess it would have been season-ending surgery, but still. I could see if it was, you know, a good, important player. But he's past his prime and is at best a role player, if healthy, in the NHL. Makes no sense to me....

But if that was the case with Glueburger, if he was really barely able to play, why was he playing? I guess it would have been season-ending surgery, but still. I could see if it was, you know, a good, important player. But he's past his prime and is at best a role player, if healthy, in the NHL. Makes no sense to me....

Good question.  Does ANYthing with the Flyers make sense?  Why did Berube send Mason to play when Mason had a chance to have a career-ending injury?

Archived