Dave Hakstol: new HC

RJ8812

460x.jpg

who?

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=768020

Philadelphia Flyers general manager Ron Hextall announced this morning that Dave Hakstol has been named the 19th head coach in Flyers history.

“Dave brings a wealth of head coaching experience and success to the Philadelphia Flyers organization,” said Hextall. “He’s a proven winner and we are pleased to have him become part of the Flyers family.”

“I am extremely excited to be named the Philadelphia Flyers new head coach,” said Hakstol. “Through the process here with Ron [Hextall] and everybody in the Flyers organization I have gained even more of an understanding of the history and tradition of this organization and I’m very proud to become part of the Philadelphia Flyers today.”

Hakstol, 46 (7/30/1968), comes to the Flyers from the University of North Dakota where he spent the last 11 seasons compiling an overall record of 289-143-43 with a .654 winning percentage in 475 games. In 2014-15, he led North Dakota to a 29-10-3 record with a .726 winning percentage and a berth in the NCAA Frozen Four.

North Dakota made the NCAA Tournament in every one of Hakstol’s 11 seasons and reached the Frozen Four seven times in that span, which is the most of any program in the country during that period. Hakstol led North Dakota to an overall postseason record of 54-24 for a .692 winning percentage, including a 17-11 record in the NCAA Tournament, during his tenure.

He joined the school’s coaching staff in 2000 as an assistant coach, and took over the head coaching job four years later. Under Hakstol’s watch, North Dakota won three regular season conference championships – two in the Western Collegiate Hockey Association (WCHA, 2008-09, 2010-11) and one in the National Collegiate Hockey Conference (NCHC, 2014-15).  North Dakota also won WCHA playoff championships in 2005-06, 2009-10, 2010-11 and 2011-12.  Hakstol received conference coach of the year honors twice, in the WCHA in 2008-09 and in the NCHC in 2014-15.  He was also an eight-time finalist for the Spencer Penrose Award as national coach of the year.

Hakstol’s program has produced 20 NHL players and a total of 46 that have played professionally at some level. His former players include Jonathan Toews (CHI) and Matt Greene (LAK), each of whom have won two Stanley Cups since leaving the school, as well as T.J. Oshie (STL), Travis Zajac (NJD), Drew Stafford (BUF, WPG) and Chris VandeVelde (EDM, PHI). He has also had seven players named Hobey Baker Award finalists, including Ryan Duncan who won the award in 2007, and 11 players named All-Americans.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's for sure....I just hope we didn't just outsmart ourselves with such a move.

I like the outside the organization approach..I like the fact he should be able to coach/develop young players given his college background.  I like the fact that he's had success.

I'll take a wait/see approach......should be interesting to see if his game/style can translate to the NHL.  

I think Hextall just wanted a clone and named him Hakstol :) Bahahaha!

Kidding aside, if Hexy thought this was the best guy for the job, I trust him. I know nothing about Hakstol other than what I just read, so I have to wait and see. But a huge kudos for thinking outside the regular box of hiring retreads and has-beens or never-weres.

Oh, and a few tweets for context:

Elliotte Friedman ✔@FriedgeHNIC
Hextall's son played for Hakstol, which is the connection.

Elliotte Friedman ✔@FriedgeHNIC
When Hextall was in LA, Kings draft pick Derek Forbort played there, too. Another connection.

I love that our site scooped the philly news sites... douches !

well done lads.

if it doesn't work out with this guy it will only be two years right ?  i think its pretty cool that he picked a guy that was on no one's radar , and when you read his bio...has a great track record.  very cool !

Ryan Bright ‏@philabright  7m7 minutes ago

Quote on Hakstol from @GFHerald: “That stare,” one former player said, “will penetrate the back of your helmet.”

Ryan Bright ‏@philabright  11m11 minutes ago

Per @GFHerald, Hakstol is "stoic, straight-forward personality." Known for "intense presence." He also doesn't sleep, apparently.

I like this guy already :)

Okay then... well that was different.

I watch a lot of college hockey and this guy is a winner.   We will see how everything translates over to the NHL but I am very intrigued.   He tends to be no nonsense and he was truly one of the best coaches in the college ranks.

I like the outside the organization approach..I like the fact he should be able to coach/develop young players given his college background.  I like the fact that he's had success.

I'll take a wait/see approach......should be interesting to see if his game/style can translate to the NHL.  

I am glad for that too...I was going to ralph if we got Kevin Dineen, Terry Murray, or John Stevens again.  Hopefully this is more like Mike Keenan outside the box and less like Wayne Cashman outside the box.

was going to ralph if we got Kevin Dineen, Terry Murray, or John Stevens again

Agree 1000000% with this.  I would even add Ken Hitchcock to that list.  I had no desire to see him back in Philly.

Wow, this is certainly new territory for the Flyers...dipping into the college ranks for a coach, especially when some coveted candidates were available.  Snider must have bitten a hole through his lip by now!

Considering how little I follow college hockey, I have no clue if this is a good move or not because I have never heard of this guy.  I hope Hexy comes out smelling like roses on the other end of this.

Wow, this is certainly new territory for the Flyers...dipping into the college ranks for a coach, especially when some coveted candidates were available.  Snider must have bitten a hole through his lip by now!

Considering how little I follow college hockey, I have no clue if this is a good move or not because I have never heard of this guy.  I hope Hexy comes out smelling like roses on the other end of this.

Lets hope in a few years we are kissing Hexy's and Hacksy's butts so much that we need to buy stock in ChapStick.

Adams.... Like I said in my previous post I am very intrigued.   The guy is a GREAT college coach and I truly love the fact Hextall has gone against the grain and stepped outside the typical Flyers BS - Yes, Hextall has brought a culture change.   This move is great considering Hakstol is perfect for developing our young core.   We shall see how it plays over to the NHL...

So Hakstol - what are you doing w VLC and Umberger? ;)

Hard to say whether I like the move or not since I know nothing about the guy. This IS the direction that I was asking for, though, finding someone who might be an up and comer. Like that they're branching out and looking outside of the box. Obviously Babcock is the big prize this offseason, but I never really thought that he was leaving Detroit. Still taking some getting used to with the way Hextall handles things. Who even knew we had interviewed anyone?

Hard to say whether I like the move or not since I know nothing about the guy. This IS the direction that I was asking for, though, finding someone who might be an up and comer. Like that they're branching out and looking outside of the box. Obviously Babcock is the big prize this offseason, but I never really thought that he was leaving Detroit. Still taking some getting used to with the way Hextall handles things. Who even knew we had interviewed anyone?

This ^^

I'm really digging the absence of rumours coming out of the Philly camp since Hexy took over. It's refreshing to not be tied to every single thing.

250px-Punk%27d_logo.jpg

(I really don't have a problem with it.  I haven't mentioned it recently, but after Berube was fired I was asking about juniors coaches and AHL coaches.  While THIS guy was not on my radar--never heard of him--it's along the lines I was wondering).

250px-Punk%27d_logo.jpg

(I really don't have a problem with it.  I haven't mentioned it recently, but after Berube was fired I was asking about juniors coaches and AHL coaches.  While THIS guy was not on my radar--never heard of him--it's along the lines I was wondering).

The media has a big ol' egg on their faces here...   LOL...

Have to say I am surprised.  I think it is fair to say not many people saw this coming.  I was hoping to see someone with more pedigree, although his record at Univeristy of North Dakota does seem imrpessive.  What does this all mean on the NHL level?

We will find out soon, I guess.

Archived