Babcock is Toronto's new coach.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

8 years for any Coach is ridiculous... they have the money for sure.   The problem is the organization is a mess and he alone is not going to be the savior to their stupidity.   

Coach contracts don't count against the cap.  What does it matter how long it's for, or how much money it's for?  If things sour after awhile, they can do what every single team in the league does...........FIRE HIM.  Using their financial muscle is one of the SMART things they do.  It's not stupid at all.

Well, I am not a 'hater'...but I will say this:

Winning player (Brendan Shanahan) brought in to oversee hockey operations....good deal.

Winning head coach to run things behind the bench.... good deal.

GM? Yet to be determined...unless either Shanahan or Babcock wear two hats.

All good things moving forward from the looks of life in Toronto......except the roster.

The Leafs can bring in all the big names they want, can bring in all the winning personnel on the coaching and executive side they want, but unless the actual players do what needs to be done on the ice, things won't be much different.

Leafs have some big contracts, lots of UFA's and a few RFA's, have a wretched defense, and unless Jonathan Bernier (RFA) steps up and plays like the guy the Leafs traded for, they don't have a number one goalie either.

Toronto STILL has much work to do and given the division they are in, they can't afford to take 'short cuts' in getting the franchise back to competitiveness.

Good on Toronto in getting one of today's top head coaches...now....all they have to do now is improve where it counts most: On the ice!

Babcock is going to adapt a revolutionary new "hands-on" approach to coaching where he will play for the Leafs and coach at the same time!!!  :P

(Because God knows this group of stiffs can't follow any kind of "system" successfully.)  I'd give Babcock the Jack Adam's award if he avoids 30th place next year.

If the Leafs didn't make this move, it would have been a huge disservice to the long suffering fan base. It was the least that they could do.

Then again, the problem is that they've done the least they could do for a long time. They're going to have to show me that they're serious about winning before I'll buy it. Babcock may be part of the answer, but he's not the whole answer.

Babcock may be part of the answer, but he's not the whole answer.

I'm pretty sure that NO ONE thinks that the Leafs are "all fixed" now that they've spent a ton to get a good Coach.  There's obviously still lots wrong with the team and lots of work to do to make them better.  But this is at least one good piece of the puzzle, locked up long-term.

Accountability has just returned to the Leaf's dressing room.  Perform or pack yer bags.

I'm pretty sure that NO ONE thinks that the Leafs are "all fixed" now that they've spent a ton to get a good Coach.  There's obviously still lots wrong with the team and lots of work to do to make them better.  But this is at least one good piece of the puzzle, locked up long-term.

I'm well aware of that fact, and I'm not saying anyone does believe that. The comment about Babcock not being the entire answer isn't my main point though. My main point is that I want to see what the Leafs' management will do now that they do have their coach nailed down. I want to see if they'll continue to make moves that can make the team competitive. They haven't appeared to be committed to winning for a few years now, and have appeared to, as I said in response to @jammer2, do just enough to try to placate the fan base. This is a big move, no doubt. Now, let's see if it's a harbinger of things to come.

MLSE has always wanted to win.  Why wouldn't they?  It would feel great.....more home games, more ticket sales, more jersey sales, more branding, more attention........they've just been inept.  

They haven't had a clue how to ice a winner for years and years.  

Then again, the problem is that they've done the least they could do for a long time. They're going to have to show me that they're serious about winning before I'll buy it. Babcock may be part of the answer, but he's not the whole answer.

Toronto is a better team today than it was yesterday....and their cap is the same...so, win=win.

Toronto is a better team today than it was yesterday....and their cap is the same...so, win=win.

I'm in full agreement on that part of it.

Holy Halibut!

If I had bet I would have lost big time.  I was certain it was Buffalo or stay in Detroit.  Wow.

Ahem. At the risk of saying I told you so, I have annoyed my few fellow Wing fans in here for the past year or even a little longer, I predicted Toronto. It just seems right.

If at any time during the next eight years the Leafs win the cup his face will be on the money. Great signing for the Leafs, a homecoming for Babs. I truly do not feel anything but happy for him and wish him luck.

He is the best coach in the NHL but truthfully the Wings have gone stale under his tutelage, Blashill down at GR has been training to be his replacement for the last 3 years, just like everything else the Wings do, they are prepared nicely for this eventuality. Blashill has coached about two thirds or even more of the roster that will be in place next year. And Tony Granato, an experienced coach will be at his side running the special teams, something that Tony did exceptionally well last year. So yes, we are losing the best coach in the game but do not feel sorry for the Wings. Like with everything else we are prepared.

Oh, and I told you so. I miss on a lot fo this stuff but when Carlyle was whacked last year I told the guys it was a foregone conclusion.

@yave1964

Yep you told me so.

So going forward, I'm in charge of the bets on Blues, Capitals, and Canadiens and you're in charge of bets on coaching movements.  Deal?

What do I get to be in charge of? Lol

@yave1964  It really must be about money, and it must have been money all along. What do the Leafs really have....they have Nylander and maybe....probably Strome...so high end depth down the middle...and on the wings....JVR (Mr.Soulless), not much else, Lupul who is older and constantly hurt...a big question mark in net...Bernier is not the answer....the answer is not on the Leafs....and a suspect defense lead by a rotten Captain....WTF...I don't get this....the Leafs are 3 full lines....4 d-men and a goalie away...wow.

If a long time Stanley Cup winning coach had left Philly for Toronto...I would feel dirty, like the fan base had done something wrong.....lol.

Money was a massive factor in his decision, no doubt.  But after a few more years of trading assets and sucking......the Leafs should be loaded with high end talent.  In theory, in maybe 4 years, Babcock should have a team full of elite young players that came up learning HIS system.  It'll take some time, but looking at his other options(Philly, Buffalo, San Jose...), Toronto might have a pretty nice base already in place, with Strome/Marner coming, and Kadri, Nylander, Rielly, Gardiner and Bernier already here.  Plus whatever we get for Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak, Lupul......

@yave1964 It really must be about money, and it must have been money all along. What do the Leafs really have....they have Nylander and maybe....probably Strome...so high end depth down the middle...and on the wings....JVR (Mr.Soulless), not much else, Lupul who is older and constantly hurt...a big question mark in net...Bernier is not the answer....the answer is not on the Leafs....and a suspect defense lead by a rotten Captain....WTF...I don't get this....the Leafs are 3 full lines....4 d-men and a goalie away...wow.

If a long time Stanley Cup winning coach had left Philly for Toronto...I would feel dirty, like the fan base had done something wrong.....lol.

A Stanley Cup is never guaranteed... $50,000,000 is!

It's nice to have the financial might to be able to "run out and spend 50 million" on one of the NHL's very best Coaches.

In related news........Leafs have announced the ticket prices are set to rise by 93% for next season, to offset this cost.  ;)

:)

@yave1964  It really must be about money, and it must have been money all along. What do the Leafs really have....they have Nylander and maybe....probably Strome...so high end depth down the middle...and on the wings....JVR (Mr.Soulless), not much else, Lupul who is older and constantly hurt...a big question mark in net...Bernier is not the answer....the answer is not on the Leafs....and a suspect defense lead by a rotten Captain....WTF...I don't get this....the Leafs are 3 full lines....4 d-men and a goalie away...wow.

Thanks to parity in the NHL, the Leafs aren't as far away as you might think. With MLSE behind the wheel, they're far away yes, but not with someone that knows what they're doing steering the ship. It could be straightened out much faster than that.

• There's a team chemistry problem here.
  • There's a leadership problem here.
  • There is a lack of strong defensive play here.

Start fixing what needs to be fixed. Step 1: New leadership. Turn the page on Kessel and Phaneuf. Annoint a new leader from the cast of remaining young players. Step 2: Get rid of the floaters and replace them with grinders. Tough, physical, defensive minded players, preferrably with Stanley Cup rings. I'm talking 2nd and 3rd line guys that shut down opposing teams top lines. I'd order half a dozen and turn over a good chunk of the forwards and defencemen on this team. This team is going to start winning games 2-1 with a team concept, not a run-and-gun lone wolf offence.  :)

First off, that is the most bleak assessment of the Leafs I have ever read. And I thought I was pessimistic on them!

Second, apparently (and interestingly), some sources say Buffalo's offer was larger. Who knows?

I don't know why he'd do it, but maybe he likes a challenge. Righting the ship in Toronto is probably the biggest challenge out there.

Righting the ship in Toronto is probably the biggest challenge out there.

It is very high risk, but an even bigger reward....statues of yourself....your kids kids being anointed as saints...LOL....it is HUGE to be leading this charge and to be successful at it!!

I was not trying to be bleak, I was trying to be honest...facts are facts...the Leafs have not won a playoff series since J.R scored that goal.....THAT was a long time ago....The Leafs have not been to the finals since they won it in 67.....they can't even get on the damn diving board to take the Nestea plunge. Just putting things in the proper perspective bro....

Thanks to parity in the NHL, the Leafs aren't as far away as you might think. With MLSE behind the wheel, they're far away yes, but not with someone that knows what they're doing steering the ship. It could be straightened out much faster than that.

• There's a team chemistry problem here.
  • There's a leadership problem here.
  • There is a lack of strong defensive play here.

Start fixing what needs to be fixed. Step 1: New leadership. Turn the page on Kessel and Phaneuf. Annoint a new leader from the cast of remaining young players. Step 2: Get rid of the floaters and replace them with grinders. Tough, physical, defensive minded players, preferrably with Stanley Cup rings. I'm talking 2nd and 3rd line guys that shut down opposing teams top lines. I'd order half a dozen and turn over a good chunk of the forwards and defencemen on this team. This team is going to start winning games 2-1 with a team concept, not a run-and-gun lone wolf offence.  :)

Very nice post Wisdom....the cap constraints put pressure on changing things so quick....when your predecessors are Ferguson Jr, Fletcher (who was interm but made a lot of moves in his short tenure), Burke and Nonis.....well, those are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.....there will have to be a whole lot of undoing....some of which, like you say can be addressed right off the hop, the rest is tied into the cap.....which can dictate if Kessel and Phaneuf are moved....the 2 biggest stressors in my mind. But yeah, right off the hop, you can get some guys who make the Leafs harder to play against AND can play Babbers system....especially the bottom six.

@WordsOfWisdom @jammer2 What you guys have said sums up pretty well why I feel like the management can't just sit back after the Babcock hire and decide they've really done something. I'm pretty sure they trust the guy, or they wouldn't have paid him so much. That said, let him do what he needs to do. Give him the needed resources. Babs can drastically improve the team, but the management has to allow him to do so and support him. It will take some time and work, but they've got the guy to do it.

Archived