Babcock is Toronto's new coach.

mike_babcock.jpg

According to Darren Dreger, it's a done deal.  8 years and 50 million bucks.

Press conference at 2:30pm.

Leafs use the only advantage they have.........MONEY.

Let the haters start saying how overrated he's always been!!

WOOT.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Babcock's salary in first three years of his eight-year deal is believed to be as much as $8M per year.

that is just stupidity... sorry but the Leafs are morons.  Turns out this was all about the money in the end.

Well, I am not a 'hater'...but I will say this:

Winning player (Brendan Shanahan) brought in to oversee hockey operations....good deal.

Winning head coach to run things behind the bench.... good deal.

GM? Yet to be determined...unless either Shanahan or Babcock wear two hats.

All good things moving forward from the looks of life in Toronto......except the roster.

The Leafs can bring in all the big names they want, can bring in all the winning personnel on the coaching and executive side they want, but unless the actual players do what needs to be done on the ice, things won't be much different.

Leafs have some big contracts, lots of UFA's and a few RFA's, have a wretched defense, and unless Jonathan Bernier (RFA) steps up and plays like the guy the Leafs traded for, they don't have a number one goalie either.

Toronto STILL has much work to do and given the division they are in, they can't afford to take 'short cuts' in getting the franchise back to competitiveness.

Good on Toronto in getting one of today's top head coaches...now....all they have to do is improve where it counts most: On the ice!

that is just stupidity... sorry but the Leafs are morons.  Turns out this was all about the money in the end.

Totally agree, there's one coach I would pay that money to.  Well, two:    Scotty Bowman, and Phil Jackson.  Yea, yea, he doesn't coach hockey, you get the point.   LOL  

Bidding war between Buffalo and Toronto, apparently, and Buffalo may have matched the offer or at least come VERY close to it.  If that was the case, you have to think that Babcock thought Toronto could build a winner faster than Buffalo could.  

Bidding war between Buffalo and Toronto, apparently, and Buffalo may have matched the offer or at least come VERY close to it.  If that was the case, you have to think that Babcock thought Toronto could build a winner faster than Buffalo could.  

Apparently Toronto also offered Babcock personnel decision power, so that might've helped.

Holy Halibut!

If I had bet I would have lost big time.  I was certain it was Buffalo or stay in Detroit.  Wow.

From what he was saying leading up to it (money's not that important, wants to win, family wants to stay in Detroit) didn't add up to what the Leafs are offering. They're definitely not in win mode... I can't blame him, as that's a monstrous contract, and he just can't lose. I guess now he can afford to fix up the cottage. Oops. Sorry. That's "cabin" in western Canadian parlance.

LOL.  Why are they morons for this move?  Babcock is a BIG TIME upgrade over what they had(and anyone else out there....), and it cost them nothing but money, which they light their cigars, fireplaces, and BBQ flame bars with.

Kind of like thinking the Gobi will flood before the Sahara.

That's some nice misdirection by Babcock. He must have had some fancy New York PR firm handling these negotiations and communications. 

The only thing that would have diverted the truth more is if he'd had Bill Clinton as his spokesman  ("He did not have intercourse with that franchise!")

The only thing that would have diverted the truth more is if he'd had Bill Clinton as his spokesman  ("He did not have intercourse with that franchise!")

Hey now, that all depends on what the definition of the word is is.

Yeah, I can't say throwing a ton of money at Babcock was stupid. He doesn't count against the cap, and the Leafs have a ton of money (only NHL franchise in the top 50 in value in all pro sports)... Plus, Shanahan knows him, knows his style from being a player. Sure it's a lot of cash, but the Leafs are running on the longest active SC drought, and one of the biggest futility marks for making the playoffs recently. This is a bold move that they need, which costs them nothing but money. Hard to fault it.

LOL.  Why are they morons for this move?  Babcock is a BIG TIME upgrade over what they had(and anyone else out there....), and it cost them nothing but money, which they light their cigars, fireplaces, and BBQ flame bars with.

8 years for any Coach is ridiculous... they have the money for sure.   The problem is the organization is a mess and he alone is not going to be the savior to their stupidity.   

Archived