Hammond, Ottawa, Agree to Deal

CAJ3GJeWcAE8bDG.jpg

From NHL.com

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=768316&navid=nhl:topheads

Looks like the Sens are going to attempt to treat the fans of Ottawa to another round of Hamburglar madness!

The UFA goalie has been re-signed.

3 yrs, just over 4 million? 

The epitome of low risk, high reward.

If Hammond can't produce in the upcoming season, it represents a low cap hit and very little money spent.....if Hammond reproduces (or more realistically, simply plays well) the kind of season he had, then this becomes a steal of epic proportions in terms of value for the money!

Aside from performance, two other questions get raised:

1- Which goalie is odd man out, Anderson or Lehner

2- Who is the actual starting goaltender: Hammond or one of the two that stays?

Throw in a third question: Will the Hamburglar and Anderson/Lehner split time in goal?

IMO, ideally, the Sens would want a Hammond / Lehner combo and deal Anderson to a team that feels they are a goaltender away from being a contender.

That said, I think Lehner represents the better return for Ottawa if HE is dealt.

Sens can answer that question throughout the off season, but for now, Ottawa fans can rejoice (I assume most would rejoice at this news) that the Hamburglar will coming back for an encore performance.......and almost for free admission too!

Nice job, Ottawa....now...how about some depth on the forward lines and defensive pairings.....?   ;)

In all seriousness, I think the reality is, Anderson DOES stay.

I think a team would rather take a chance that Lehner will grow into a capable goalie rather than trade for a guy in Anderson, who while good, is injury prone.

Besides, if Hammond flops, the Sens will need to have a guy who they KNOW can carry the load....errr, when he is healthy that is.... and Lehner is still an uproven commodity.

But again, as I said, since a bottom dwelling team looking to move upwards may want to take a chance with Lehner as a goalie, he probably represents a better return for the Sens over Anderson.

Anderson for a second rounder. Move him out, go cheap in goal, use the money to fix another problem area. Do it quick before the teams in need of a tender sign one. Lots more good goalies out there than usual.

Hammond will fall back to earth in a MASSIVE way next year, but he's been re-signed cheap, so it's a fine deal.

The only problem is who to keep......Anderson or Lehner?

They're BOTH duds in my opinion, so it doesn't matter much.  Ottawa is due for a fall.

I'm still where I've been all along. Keep Anderson, deal Lehner. Anderson has done very well during his time in Ottawa, while Lehner pretty clearly seems to be falling. I think the ideal next season is for Anderson to be the number one guy, with Hammond getting a  good number of games as the number two. I think that in that scenario, the team has two goalies that they can feel confident playing in front of. If Lehner stays and his trajectory remains, the team will have little reason to have faith in him, and that would only serve to increase the load on Hammond. He played a lot down the stretch this past season, but that was about one-third of the season, not a whole season. How would he deal with playing a huge percentage of the games for that long? I'd rather not find out yet. Let him work into it a little at a time.

My only question is, what would we get for Lehner? Probably not much. I'm guessing it would be a late round draft choice. We got both Alfredsson and Stone in the sixth round, so late round isn't so bad, necessarily. If the goalie situation plays out the way I think and hope it will and the season goes the way I expect it to, no one will really care in the long run.

Oh, btw @TropicalFruitGirl26, I actually like our defensive unit going forward. Borowiecki, Ceci, Cowen, Gryba, Karlsson, and Wiercioch are all 26 or younger. If they all stay, they could be together for a long time, and every one of them had, at the very least, flashes of greatness this past season. Ceci and Wiercioch seemed to come along a little later than some of the others, but I felt good about them all by the end of the year.

You all know how i feel about this, so im just going leave this pic here, which has absolutely nothing to do with hockey, but everything to do with how i feel about Hammond

vanilla-ice.jpg

Not sure I understand the picture. You want to squeeze Hammond's ass? I mean, to each their own, so I'm just clarifying not condemning.

Hammond will fall back to earth in a MASSIVE way next year, but he's been re-signed cheap, so it's a fine deal.

The only problem is who to keep......Anderson or Lehner?

They're BOTH duds in my opinion, so it doesn't matter much.  Ottawa is due for a fall.

sounds like what a Leafs fan would say 

They're BOTH duds in my opinion, so it doesn't matter much.

It's hard to say.  Lehner is a dud, in my opinion, but he's young so it's possible it's simply growing pains.  I wouldn't color me impressed in the limited times I got to see him.

I wouldn't expect to see a Vezina Trophy in Anderson's trophy case.  But he's average or slightly better.  My first concern with him is health.  After that, his GAA this past year wasn't good.  It didn't utterly stink (it was better than Ryan Miller, lol) but it wasn't good.  It was smellish, though. Oddly, his save percentage was top 10.  He was tied with Holtby and Rinne.  That's not bad company but worth noting his percentage was in much fewer games so I'm still more impressed by Holtby and Rinne's number.

Money aside, I think they'll be better with Anderson and Hammond than with Lehner and Hammond.   I wonder with the goalie market, though, if they get rid of both Anderson and Lehner and seek help from outside.  Talbot?

sounds like what a Leafs fan would say 

Oh for sure.  ;)

But Lehner's numbers have gotten worse each of the last three seasons, and Anderson is 34 years old now.  His speed and recovery is about to drop off, like just about all older Goalies do.  Looking at the last two seasons, it may already be happening for him.

And I seriously DO believe Ottawa is going to be taking a big step backwards, mostly because of their goaltending options, and also because I doubt their rookies will repeat their performances from last year, next year.  They won't be as bad as the Leafs or anything, but I'm betting they'll be out of the playoffs again.

It's hard to say.  Lehner is a dud, in my opinion, but he's young so it's possible it's simply growing pains.  I wouldn't color me impressed in the limited times I got to see him.

I wouldn't expect to see a Vezina Trophy in Anderson's trophy case.  But he's average or slightly better.  My first concern with him is health.  After that, his GAA this past year wasn't good.  It didn't utterly stink (it was better than Ryan Miller, lol) but it wasn't good.  It was smellish, though. Oddly, his save percentage was top 10.  He was tied with Holtby and Rinne.  That's not bad company but worth noting his percentage was in much fewer games so I'm still more impressed by Holtby and Rinne's number.

Money aside, I think they'll be better with Anderson and Hammond than with Lehner and Hammond.   I wonder with the goalie market, though, if they get rid of both Anderson and Lehner and seek help from outside.  Talbot?

You know...that last bit.....I hadn't considered that.

Good point.

Not sure if things would go down that way, but it's definitely an interesting take.

Have Hammond for the next three years, trade off Anderson AND Lehner, get another goalie in return...or sign one from the FA market.

Well, Rux, if that does go down, YOU said it first!

I think Anderson should be retained. He will make a nice teacher for young Hammond, and knows how to win in the playoffs. A few years ago, he gave the Penguins fits and sinlgehandely kept the Senators in the series, despite some serious lack of goal scoring. If Hammond ever went down, I would feel MUCH more secure with Anderson in net rather than Lehner.

Archived