I bet you guys forgot about this, regarding Sam Gagner

Mario99

Oilers Vs. Red Wings: Sam Gagner's Streak Continues Despite 4-2 Loss

By Matt Wagner  @bzarcher on Feb 9, 2012, 8:01a + 

The Detroit Red Wings have now won a staggering 18 games in a row on home ice, but the more impressive streak may belong to Sam Gagner, who now has eight goals and six assists in his last four games.

@Mario99

I'll assume that was during his 8 point game....but I'm not Homer, and Gagner is playing for us now, not then. I have no problem having Gagner for one season trying to prove he belongs...especially when he helped us get rid of two contracts we just didn't want.

The Detroit Red Wings have now won a staggering 18 games in a row on home ice, but the more impressive streak may belong to Sam Gagner, who now has eight goals and six assists in his last four games.

IMO, Gagner will be a frequent press box visitor by the midway point, if not sooner. Hakstol too me doesn't appear to be a man who can watch a guy play bad D game after game and not do something about it. Minus 105 in his carer is dreadful for a guy who's never been a 20 goal scorer.

@ZeZel25

While I won't dispute anything you said he's spent his entire career on some terrible hockey teams. He was certainly a part of those teams, but I'm willing to give him a chance...especially on a 1 year and with him getting rid of grossmann AND Pronger contracts. A no-brainer trade.

Just for those who are unaware of the system that Dave Hakstol runs, it's a left wing lock style of system that requires the left winger to be the defensive fall back player. In Gagner's case, it's already been stated that he'll more than likely play the right side, which will alleviate a lot of defensive responsibility on him. I'm also going to say that Gagner not having to play for two dumpster fire franchises is also going to be a big boon for him. Fact is, Gagner can score, has the tools to be a successful player in the league and has good hockey IQ. I'm not worried about Gagner at all and gut feeling says that when this season is over, people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Gagner and will want him re-signed.

Just for those who are unaware of the system that Dave Hakstol runs, it's a left wing lock style of system that requires the left winger to be the defensive fall back player. In Gagner's case, it's already been stated that he'll more than likely play the right side, which will alleviate a lot of defensive responsibility on him. I'm also going to say that Gagner not having to play for two dumpster fire franchises is also going to be a big boon for him. Fact is, Gagner can score, has the tools to be a successful player in the league and has good hockey IQ. I'm not worried about Gagner at all and gut feeling says that when this season is over, people are going to be pleasantly surprised with Gagner and will want him re-signed.

How dare you come in here and be positive! I'm not gonna sit around and take this anymore!  :ph34r:

OK, now that that is out of my system... The guy has not played a single game for us and we have him sitting in the press box already? Maybe that happens. Maybe it doesn't. As far as Hakstoll goes we don't know what he is going to do, only what he has done in the past. And as far as him not wanting to watch bad D from his forwards then he better get used to it if VLC is still here. It would be hard to sit VLC, RJ and Gagner if they are all bad on D responsibilities. Someone who isn't great on D (forward wise) is gonna be out there. He better get used to that. Besides not EVERY forward has to be good on D...

@ZeZel25

While I won't dispute anything you said he's spent his entire career on some terrible hockey teams. He was certainly a part of those teams, but I'm willing to give him a chance...especially on a 1 year and with him getting rid of grossmann AND Pronger contracts. A no-brainer trade.

I agree the kid was thrust into the fire to soon....jeeze how many head coaches has he played for in his 8 year s like 6???

I'm will to give him the benefit of doubt he can bring his A game and succeed here and if not well i imagine he will be shipped off at the trade deadline...considering what they gave up to get him i'll take it...low risk high reward move i say...and Tampa is helping may part of his salary i like it.

It wasn't so much that I forgot; it was that I didn't really care.

I agree with the trade but I disagree with keeping him on the team instead of a buyout.  Not a fan of the Medvedev signing either, not at all come to think of it. Medvedev at 32 or 33 wasn't needed. His 3 million per and Gagners money could have got a pretty good player on this team

a "pretty good player" for what reason? A UFA that we'll sign to a multi-year deal, who we wish we didn't? This team won't be contending for the Cup anyways. These are two contracts that run out next summer, so there's really no risk in either of them

Very interesting, had no idea he employed something close to the left wing lock. I've always been curious about that system. It seems like a system that requires a very specific skill set to pull off successfully. I"m sure the Flyers will inevitably find all the right players to properly employ this system, but until that day, it will be awkward with some of our players, like a square hole in a round setting.

Hey, if it was a proficient enough system for the legendary Scotty Bowman, it's good enough for us. The Red Wings had that whole system down pat years and years back. It was super effective, especially after Bowman got enough players who fit the mold he was seeking.

When our young defensive gems start showing up and cracking the roster, this is the perfect system to compliment and protect players that are new to the NHL. It will make their adjustment to pro hockey a much smoother transition.

Archived