The Split Medvedev Thread

ZeZel25

@ZeZel25

While I won't dispute anything you said he's spent his entire career on some terrible hockey teams. He was certainly a part of those teams, but I'm willing to give him a chance...especially on a 1 year and with him getting rid of grossmann AND Pronger contracts. A no-brainer trade.

I agree with the trade but I disagree with keeping him on the team instead of a buyout.  Not a fan of the Medvedev signing either, not at all come to think of it. Medvedev at 32 or 33 wasn't needed. His 3 million per and Gagners money could have got a pretty good player on this team

I do not like the medvedev signing either but saying we could have used his and gagnes money to get a better player isn't possible. Are u speaking ufa? No way was that possible ? Trade? Giving up what assets to get what player with a higher cap hit? Not reality right now.

Not a fan of the Medvedev signing either, not at all come to think of it. Medvedev at 32 or 33 wasn't needed

What have you seen this blueline??? Schultz was on the top pair last year that is hideous...he is a 7th Dman............6th tops....yikes Medvedev will be an upgrade at 39!!!

Howdy:

I understand both sides on this.  I wasn't a big fan of the signing. But I concur that we weren't blessed either. I doubt the Brains Trust assumed Provorov in the works. And they don't want to rush the youngins.

As many of us here have said, the coming year is transition.  One year is one year.  As for MDZ, well, I like the guy but Pinaccio's assessment is good--if he asks for too much, let him walk.  I like MDZ but if he can't appreciate what we've done for him--auf wiedersehen.  This team's cap problems are so severe we have to be cautious with any multi-year signing--even a possible up-and-comer on D.  

Howie

Howdy:

I understand both sides on this. I wasn't a big fan of the signing. But I concur that we weren't blessed either. I doubt the Brains Trust assumed Provorov in the works. And they don't want to rush the youngins.

As many of us here have said, the coming year is transition. One year is one year. As for MDZ, well, I like the guy but Pinaccio's assessment is good--if he asks for too much, let him walk. I like MDZ but if he can't appreciate what we've done for him--auf wiedersehen. This team's cap problems are so severe we have to be cautious with any multi-year signing--even a possible up-and-comer on D.

Howie

Howie i guess you are referring to the Medvedev signing...but this blueline is devoid of a lot of talent just look at the lineup when Schultz and Streit are that high up in it.

Medvedev is a savvy vet maybe new in the NHL but even for the KHL he has an impressive resume...

During his seven years in the KHL, Medvedev has won two Gagarin Cup league championships with Ak Bars Kazan (2008-09, 2009-10) and has been a three-time KHL All-Star (2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14). He has also represented Russia internationally for the past four years, winning gold medals at the World Championships in 2011-12 and 2013-14 and a silver medal in this year’s World Championships...

...good size and a good skater he and Provorov wouldn't shock me to be Hak's number 1 pair when it's all said and done...not a lot of talent to beat out once you take Ghost, Morin and Hagg out the equation...i guess we'll see after camp and preseason...

he may find himself on the shootout if he can replicate this.........

a "pretty good player" for what reason? A UFA that we'll sign to a multi-year deal, who we wish we didn't? This team won't be contending for the Cup anyways. These are two contracts that run out next summer, so there's really no risk in either of them

With that mindset, why bother signing any UFA anytime ...

What have you seen this blueline??? Schultz was on the top pair last year that is hideous...he is a 7th Dman............6th tops....yikes Medvedev will be an upgrade at 39!!!

Medvedev is 32 YEARS OLD. He's a dime a dozen 4th or 5th defenseman really. Manning can be better then he can IMO. A 32 year old with no future here ? I'd surely rather see a young kid play then a 32 year old, who's never played in the NHL

I do not like the medvedev signing either but saying we could have used his and gagnes money to get a better player isn't possible. Are u speaking ufa? No way was that possible ? Trade? Giving up what assets to get what player with a higher cap hit? Not reality right now.

Medvedev counts 3 million against the cap, When he wasn't needed with the defense that was here, and possibly a couple young kids making the team NOT INCLUDING Provorov. Surely a better need for the team could have been acquired or signed. Add a little to that 3 million and you get a LW in Belesky for example. Surely you could have had a player that could have been added that will be a contributor past year 2, maybe even 1 because NOBODY has a clue as to how Medvedev will react to the NHL game

Medvedev is 32 YEARS OLD. He's a dime a dozen 4th or 5th defenseman really. Manning can be better then he can IMO. A 32 year old with no future here ? I'd surely rather see a young kid play then a 32 year old, who's never played in the NHL

The guy who was -13 last year??

The guy who was -24 year before and then -28 the year after that..........ha i'm done with this conversation already............

With that mindset, why bother signing any UFA anytime ...

that really isn't a bad idea. It's been proven many times that you build through the draft, not through free agency. I have no problem signing UFAs for depth purposes, but I wouldn't look to make a huge splash, cause that will only hurt the team financially in a few years.

Howie i guess you are referring to the Medvedev signing...but this blueline is devoid of a lot of talent just look at the lineup when Schultz and Streit are that high up in it.

Medvedev is a savvy vet maybe new in the NHL but even for the KHL he has an impressive resume...

During his seven years in the KHL, Medvedev has won two Gagarin Cup league championships with Ak Bars Kazan (2008-09, 2009-10) and has been a three-time KHL All-Star (2011-12, 2012-13, 2013-14). He has also represented Russia internationally for the past four years, winning gold medals at the World Championships in 2011-12 and 2013-14 and a silver medal in this year’s World Championships...

...good size and a good skater he and Provorov wouldn't shock me to be Hak's number 1 pair when it's all said and done...not a lot of talent to beat out once you take Ghost, Morin and Hagg out the equation...i guess we'll see after camp and preseason...

he may find himself on the shootout if he can replicate this.........

Occam:

Thanks for the info...guess I am a product of the Cold War era and lump my Russians altogether....Hope the guy produces.  

Howie

Occam:

Thanks for the info...guess I am a product of the Cold War era and lump my Russians altogether....Hope the guy produces.  

Howie

I think he will be an upgrade maybe on 50% of the blueline...and if he comes in and settles Provorov down and maybe helps him make the team he may be worth his weight in gold....i'm cautiously optimistic...but i think he can help implement Hak's system.....

I think he will be an upgrade maybe on 50% of the blueline...and if he comes in and settles Provorov down and maybe helps him make the team he may be worth his weight in gold....i'm cautiously optimistic...but i think he can help implement Hak's system.....

I have to figure the signing was all about mentor for Provorov. I know we hadn't drafted yet, but I have to figure that's who they were hoping for. I'm okay if that's his purpose. I also agree he's probably an upgrade over half the defense. I do also think he was probably an unnecessary signing given the already crowded blueline and prospects looking for a spot (and other pressing needs).

I'm okay with it.

And like @radoran said, what else was really out there. It really is a crap FA market this year. I expect crap FA markets to be the new norm, btw.

I have to figure the signing was all about mentor for Provorov. I know we hadn't drafted yet, but I have to figure that's who they were hoping for. I'm okay if that's his purpose. I also agree he's probably an upgrade over half the defense. I do also think he was probably an unnecessary signing given the already crowded blueline and prospects looking for a spot (and other pressing needs).

I'm okay with it.

And like @radoran said, what else was really out there. It really is a crap FA market this year. I expect crap FA markets to be the new norm, btw.

He really isn't overcrowded when you remember once they sign MDZ they'll have 8 Dmen...its what they started with last year and it's a good measure for just in case schitt happens...plus they have 2 guys if need be they can waive in a pinch and get their whole cap hit if they need in Manning and Gudas....

He really isn't overcrowded when you remember once they sign MDZ they'll have 8 Dmen...its what they started with last year and it's a good measure for just in case schitt happens...plus they have 2 guys if need be they can waive in a pinch and get their whole cap hit if they need in Manning and Gudas....

Gudas is on at $1.4M and Manning, quite frankly, isn't even in the disucssion...

It's overcrowded if the idea is to start working in some prospects. If they aren't going to make any effort to do that, it's fine.

And I really don't want Manning playing. If he's well, I'd rather Gudas play over several of them.

I have to figure the signing was all about mentor for Provorov.

Why would Hextall sign a guy to be a mentor 6 weeks before he drafts Provorov? There was no guarantee that Provorov would fall to the Flyers at #7.  I think there has to be a different reason why he was signed.

Why would Hextall sign a guy to be a mentor 6 weeks before he drafts Provorov? There was no guarantee that Provorov would fall to the Flyers at #7.  I think there has to be a different reason why he was signed.

I can't explain what I based it on, but I was sure it was Provorov for weeks.  I agree, though, that it's unlikely they take a $3M gamble on that.  

I still think it's a waste of a roster spot that could have been used for one of the kids.

Archived