Hexie on VLC: Status quo for now

Mad Dog

I know, I know... It's been beaten to death, and then again, but here is the latest:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-notes-status-quo-vinny-lecavalier?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

What I am finding a bit interesting is that Hexie now openly acknowledges that in the perfect world, they WOULD like to find a suitor for him. If the team goes out and says that, they have to understand that the player in question now is well aware that he is not part of the team's vision moving forward, which I am sure Vinnie knew for a long time, but still...  How commited that player will be to the team who announces to the whole NHL world that they want to trade him. 

How commited that player will be to the team who announces to the whole NHL world that they want to trade him.

Might explain any "motivational" problems he may have had after last summer when they effectively said and did the same thing.

Two more years after this next season.

Two. More. Years.

#homercoaster

If Vinny really didn't want to play here, he would just agree to terminate his contract and go somewhere else

It's not that easy.

Would you walk away from 10 million dollars?

I wouldn't.

You'd think he's made enough money and would be more concerned with how he retires...you'd think he would want to retire like Kimmo on his skates and not scratched fetching popcorn...

...and he also maybe holding out hope it will be different with Hak and he will earn a spot.

Not muc you can do thanks to Homer giving him his complimentary NMC...cross ya fingers and wait and see...

They'll be making post like this in 3 i think.

That's probably closer. He's in the 40-point range consistently these days, which won't go up with age, and the price tag is big. Or else, when they have to move a good young player because they're having a hard time moving his contract.

Two more years after next year is three years.  

That's my PA public school math skills on display right there!  :)

Reminds me of a South Park bit.

Stan Marsh: "All of the calculations have been wrong. The next big ice age will hit two days before the day after tomorrow."

"Oh. My. God. That's today!"

It's not that easy.

Would you walk away from 10 million dollars?

I wouldn't.

You'd think he's made enough money and would be more concerned with how he retires...you'd think he would want to retire like Kimmo on his skates and not scratched fetching popcorn...

...and he also maybe holding out hope it will be different with Hak and he will earn a spot.

Not muc you can do thanks to Homer giving him his complimentary NMC...cross ya fingers and wait and see...

What's $10m when you're miserable? Vinny has already made over $85m dollars in his career. Plus, Tampa Bay will be paying him millions more until 2027 to not even play for them. If I was miserable and sitting in the press box, I would want to get out of here without question. Uncle Ed can just donate a **** ton of money in Vinny's honour to make up for his lost wages.

I guess the whole "I want to see how Hakstol uses me" thing is likely true, but I think Vinny just needs to face the facts and realize that he just doesn't have it anymore. He's slow, injury prone, not very good defensively. You'd think he would want to leave the game before it gets any worse, because it wont be getting any better for him at his age.

What's $10m when you're miserable? Vinny has already made over $85m dollars in his career. Plus, Tampa Bay will be paying him millions more until 2027 to not even play for them. If I was miserable and sitting in the press box, I would want to get out of here without question. Uncle Ed can just donate a **** ton of money in Vinny's honour to make up for his lost wages.

I guess the whole "I want to see how Hakstol uses me" thing is likely true, but I think Vinny just needs to face the facts and realize that he just doesn't have it anymore. He's slow, injury prone, not very good defensively. You'd think he would want to leave the game before it gets any worse, because it wont be getting any better for him at his age.

Everything you are saying is true, of course.  I agree that he is 35 and his game has been declining rapidly and steadily over the last 4-5 years. But the emotional factor is the one that often gets overlooked.  When we talk about professional athletes, we almost automatically assume that money means everything to them.  That's not true.  Sports is all they know, and considering that their professional career is so short-lived to begin with, it's not that easy for them to just walk away from what they love... as obvious as it might be (even for them) that they are done.

Like you said, Vinnie is financially secure and this extra $10M is more like a an extra $1,000 for you or me: it's money, but at the end of the day, it's unlikely to make a huge difference to our financial state.  Saying goodbye to the game for good is what makes the decision difficult.  I am sure in his mind, he is convinced he can still contribute.  You can be rest assured that Hextall tried to unload him the minute he became the Flyers' GM.  The fact that LeCavalier is still here tells you nobody wanted him. 

The Flyers *could* have bought him out, and that's really the only sure way to get rid of him and vacate that much-needed space in the salary cap, but clearly, they are not doing it.  The reality is, he is here for now and that's not going to change any time soon.  Sending him to a press box, booing him, or other childish nonsense that's been thrown around here, is not going to solve the problem. You are still paying him money and it's not going to make him retire.  I have been to a bunch of Flyers games last year.  Home fans booed him almost every time he touched the puck in some games (it was actually embarrassing).  Did that change anything? 

The only sensible option for both parties is to do everything humanly possible to make it work. There is no other solution at this point.

I know, I know... It's been beaten to death, and then again, but here is the latest:

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/flyers-notes-status-quo-vinny-lecavalier?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

What I am finding a bit interesting is that Hexie now openly acknowledges that in the perfect world, they WOULD like to find a suitor for him. If the team goes out and says that, they have to understand that the player in question now is well aware that he is not part of the team's vision moving forward, which I am sure Vinnie knew for a long time, but still...  How commited that player will be to the team who announces to the whole NHL world that they want to trade him. 

He actually did the same thing with Gagner "Im not sure if we kep him or not" - that is a brutal message to a player. BUT I like it. Its all about the team! its the team its about, you play for the logo, the fans and the team. I think thats a good way to send message to the players. Vinny is not a good player, dont hush about it. What does Vinny bring to this team? ofcourse Hexie should be open about it I think. Players ego is big enought anyway. 

He actually did the same thing with Gagner "Im not sure if we kep him or not" - that is a brutal message to a player. BUT I like it. Its all about the team! its the team its about, you play for the logo, the fans and the team. I think thats a good way to send message to the players. Vinny is not a good player, dont hush about it. What does Vinny bring to this team? ofcourse Hexie should be open about it I think. Players ego is big enought anyway. 

He brings leadership, an effort night in and night out, heck he'll even drop the gloves to stick up for team mates even though he knows he probably wont fair well.

He still has skill, not the level he once had but he still has skill ,he just needs to be put in situations where he can show it.

Vinny last year was basically dumped on and a whipping boy. Miss handled to say the least. 

He brings leadership, an effort night in and night out, heck he'll even drop the gloves to stick up for team mates even though he knows he probably wont fair well.

He still has skill, not the level he once had but he still has skill ,he just needs to be put in situations where he can show it.

Vinny last year was basically dumped on and a whipping boy. Miss handled to say the least. 

Totally agree.  And I have never been his biggest fan to begin with - even going back to his days in Tampa. 

But this whole preconception that "he plays with no heart" is just not true.  It may look that way on the surface, but I watched him closely, and I did not see the lack of effort, quite frankly.  What I did see the last year was a player on a steady decline, with a broken body, who was put in a horrible spot but his coach.  And I am not saying they should've catered to him.  I don't think teams should cater to *any* players; not even the Crosbys and Ovechkins of the world.  But it is a coach's responsibility to put every single player on his team in a position to succeed.  VLC was put in a position to fail. 

I expect Vinnie to be a spare part for another season and, if I'm right, it is going to be interesting to see what he does about it.

The "lack of heart" misconception is closely followed by the "he was mishandled" misconception and it is unfortunate really because since there is no lack of effort and because the issue isn't that he wasn't used properly, I don't know how Hakstol or anyone else gets more out of him.

It is hard for me to imagine him putting up with seeing most of another season from the press box and in fact I can sooner see him walking away. He doesn't need the money.

I expect Vinnie to be a spare part for another season and, if I'm right, it is going to be interesting to see what he does about it.

The "lack of heart" misconception is closely followed by the "he was mishandled" misconception and it is unfortunate really because since there is no lack of effort and because the issue isn't that he wasn't used properly, I don't know how Hakstol or anyone else gets more out of him.

It is hard for me to imagine him putting up with seeing most of another season from the press box and in fact I can sooner see him walking away. He doesn't need the money.

This is where I disagree , He was badly misused, Vinny his whole career has been an offensive creative player.

You take that roll away from him and ask him to all of a sudden become a fourth line banger and crasher at his age and it's no wonder his body is braking down.

I'm not saying he is still the player he was in Tbay but he certainly  doesn't belong playing a regular shift with the bangers and crashers either.

Hopefully he can get third line minutes and a regular spot on the 2nd pp unit and I don't think if he does get that kind of playing time that is a stretch that he can put up solid point numbers.

Vinny is not washed up if used properly.

This is where I disagree , He was badly misused, Vinny his whole career has been an offensive creative player.

You take that roll away from him and ask him to all of a sudden become a fourth line banger and crasher at his age and it's no wonder his body is braking down.

I'm not saying he is still the player he was in Tbay but he certainly doesn't belong playing a regular shift with the bangers and crashers either.

Hopefully he can get third line minutes and a regular spot on the 2nd pp unit and I don't think if he does get that kind of playing time that is a stretch that he can put up solid point numbers.

The thing is, Vinny is a career -140 player. There was a timr when his production and creativity made up for the complete lack of care for the defensive side of the puck. Those days are gone so he's just a liability and an expensive one at that.

I'm not saying he is still the player he was in Tbay but he certainly  doesn't belong playing a regular shift with the bangers and crashers either.

The thing is he has never been good in his own zone. Even in his prime.

Hak's system requires a 200 foot commitment. Berube tried to get that out of him while he was here and benched when he didn't see it.

Am i'm glad Berube did Chief messed up because he didn't do that with everyone.

But Vinny is also just slow.

Like Hall Gill slow...but you wouldn't put Gill on the top D pair because of what he use to be because he can't keep up. So why would you put VLC on the 2nd line...he can't keep up.

The thing is he has never been good in his own zone. Even in his prime.

Hak's system requires a 200 foot commitment. Berube tried to get that out of him while he was here and benched when he didn't see it.

Am i'm glad Berube did Chief messed up because he didn't do that with everyone.

But Vinny is also just slow.

Like Hall Gill slow...but you wouldn't put Gill on the top D pair because of what he use to be because he can't keep up. So why would you put VLC on the 2nd line...he can't keep up.

Hall Gill slow ? No one but Hall Gill is that slow. :D

I never said put him on the 2nd line ,I said third line and 2nd pp unit, just to clarify. :thumbsu:

Archived