Bumberger

Samifan

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was trying to tell everybody who was willing to listen.  He didn't have a healthy spot on his body.  He was a walking dead last season. He was allowed to skip practices so he could rest on a sofa (I am not joking) before games - that's how injured he was. I have no idea how, and most importantly WHY, he was asked to dress for the games last year.  He should've been shut down half way into the season, if not earlier. 

There was no way for his game to go this year but up.  He is no superstar, but if he manages to stay healthy, 25/25 line is fully attainable.  

I was and am really sick of hearing how he was "injured" all last season and thus was unable to play up to his level.

If a player is injured to that extent, he should not be in the lineup. He is hurting the team and himself.

It is not laudable that he "played through it" or "gutted it out" or anything of the kind.

He deliberately hurt the team throughout all last season for selfish reasons.

I am pleased that he played well last night - it was noticeable and great to see.

But he is no hero for what he did last season. None at all.

And we haven't even gotten to the point that the coach and the GM were throwing a guy onto the ice who obviously couldn't play and obviously was injured.

I was and am really sick of hearing how he was "injured" all last season and thus was unable to play up to his level.

If a player is injured to that extent, he should not be in the lineup. He is hurting the team and himself.

It is not laudable that he "played through it" or "gutted it out" or anything of the kind.

I am pleased that he played well last night - it was noticeable and great to see.

And we haven't even gotten to the point that the coach and the GM were throwing a guy onto the ice who obviously couldn't play and obviously was injured.

What happened with Umberger last season falls on everyone. Umberger, who clearly wasn't healthy enough to play, should have said he was hurting and couldn't play. That's his fault. Hextall, who knew at the time of the trade that Umberger was hurt, should have known that Umberger was in bad shape. The moment that Ron said Umberger couldn't get any worse was a sign that he should have been held out. That falls on Hextall. Berube, who was the head coach at the time, saw first hand how ineffective an injured Umberger was, could have held him out of the lineup, but he didn't/ That falls on Berube. Finally, the medical staff in Philadelphia could have chosen not to clear Umberger to play, but they did, knowing full well that his injuries were at an extent that he couldn't get any worse, should have known that he wasn't going to get any better until those surgeries were performed. That falls on the medical staff.

It was a poorly handled situation all around by all parties.

Gee, I heard ESPN was planning on giving RJ the Arthur Ashe Award for Courage and Heroism at the ESPYs this year. He should have won last year but was beaten out by Bruce....er, Caitlin Jenner. :ph34r:

What happened with Umberger last season falls on everyone. Umberger, who clearly wasn't healthy enough to play, should have said he was hurting and couldn't play. That's his fault. Hextall, who knew at the time of the trade that Umberger was hurt, should have known that Umberger was in bad shape. The moment that Ron said Umberger couldn't get any worse was a sign that he should have been held out. That falls on Hextall. Berube, who was the head coach at the time, saw first hand how ineffective an injured Umberger was, could have held him out of the lineup, but he didn't/ That falls on Berube. Finally, the medical staff in Philadelphia could have chosen not to clear Umberger to play, but they did, knowing full well that his injuries were at an extent that he couldn't get any worse, should have known that he wasn't going to get any better until those surgeries were performed. That falls on the medical staff.

It was a poorly handled situation all around by all parties.

I just got really really sick of hearing JJ and Jonesey saying again and again that "that wasn't a play RJ could have made last season."

As you note, I don't think they realized just how much they were indicting the entire organization when they said it.

Just a complete clustereffup from start to finish. Really amazing.

Oh I completely agree.  And to be clear, I am not praising him for what he did (or did NOT do).  He did not have to make any statements.

The overarching point I was trying to be making, however, was that I fully expected him to play MUCH better this year knowing that he took care of those two surgeries. 

But what the Flyers did last year with him was disgusting and sickening.  How can they keep doing it and keep getting away with this is just unreal.  It defies any common sense.

same should be said for Read... Read definitively looks to have his speed back.  

same should be said for Read... Read definitively looks to have his speed back.

Yeah, JJ and Jonsey were all about telling us how Read played on "two bad ankles" last year.

As if that was somehow a "good thing" for the team or the player. Or wasn't an indictment upon them for not bringing it up when it was happening but now using it as an "explanation" of why they were so terrible last year.

They both "gutted it out" and "played for the team" and had awful seasons while the team missed the playoffs for the second time in three years.

Yay?

Keep it up RJ...make yourself tradeable!

He's already been tradeable, what you meant to say is keep raising your stock!!! And that was just the way to do it...in fact if he continues to play like that he may make himself hard to move because they need him.......i'm not complaining that is a good problem to have.

@OccamsRazor

Pretty sure if Umberger was tradeable last year he wouldn't be a Flyer right now. His contract made him unwanted in Columbus (they planned to buy him out) And I don't think you could find a single person on here after the first month or so that actually wanted him on the team.

If he can have a good year I'd deal him. He's at the age where he likely won't be contributing much when the D is finally transitioned to an NHL calibre one.

Or untouchable

I think he was the best Forward on the ice for the Flyers last night. That was almost hard to type.

WHoah there!... settle down there cowboy. I would NOT go that far. He was, however, much improved from what we saw last year. Remember, though, he did cough up the puck which led directly to Tampa's first goal. Other than that.. his speed looks way better and he hustled out there. He set up some plays.

Overall, I think everyone can agree that he played better last night than in ANY game last year. It's a good start, but it's only a sample of one. I'm not reversing my opinion on him yet. 

Other than that.. his speed looks way better and he hustled out there.

Yes i noticed that on the rush with Drouin. His speed is back. Sorry i screwed up the post i accidentally hit post before putting in my comments.

Archived