Top 30 Goalie Prospects: Includes Tomek

Howie58

Greetings:

Here is a recent post on the top 30 NHL Goalie Prospects.  Matej Tomek is one of them.  Nobody else in the system is mentioned.  

http://thehockeywriters.com/hockeys-next-ones-top-30-nhl-goalie-prospects/

Who knows....maybe we will grow one of our own.   Heck...maybe we might keep him around.

Best,

Howie

Greetings:

I notice there is a goalie development staffer as well as a goalie coach.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-name-goalie-development-coach.html

So I guess the organization has some "self-awareness" of this problem.  Hexy is showing his street wisdom.  If Stolarz is a bust I suspect we are really back to drawing board.

Peace,

Howie

Greetings:

I notice there is a goalie development staffer as well as a goalie coach.  

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-name-goalie-development-coach.html

So I guess the organization has some "self-awareness" of this problem.  Hexy is showing his street wisdom.  If Stolarz is a bust I suspect we are really back to drawing board.

Peace,

Howie

Howie,

Agreed that we are back to the beginning if Stolarz is a bust, however, I feel that the Flyers are better shape goaltending wise, with Mason, Neuvirth and Labarbera then they have been in a really long time.

Howie,

Agreed that we are back to the beginning if Stolarz is a bust, however, I feel that the Flyers are better shape goaltending wise, with Mason, Neuvirth and Labarbera then they have been in a really long time.

Lunatic:

Greetings...hope you are staying sane!  I apologize..should have been clearer.  You are absolutely right. We have a good force field on our top three.  The prospects are the issue.  Stolarz started out well, then went south. So we will see what happens with the youngins.  Sadly, I hope Mase stays healthy. Granted Neuvirth and LaB would be OK to hold the fort.  But my guess is that learning a new system and lineup changes will put pressure on a D that isn't up to it.

Take care,

Howie

@Howie58  Before I clicked on the list, I said to myself, if Malcom Subban is not in the top 5, I'm gonna have trouble digesting this list. He made it, #4, so there is some reason to think the list might be reliable...lol.

Talk about a sign of the times, 6 members of the top 10 are 6'4 or bigger and one just misses at 6'3...the revamping to bigger goalies is almost a finished product. Interesting to see Winnipeg with two members of the top 10, they are deep in net.

A few random thoughts. I happen to think Calvin Pickard is a damn good prospect, so having him at #13 means either they missed on his real potential, or the league is about to be flushed with unprecedented talent at the goalie position...I suspect something is the middle might be accurate.

With Carey Price just entering his prime, I wonder out loud if Montreal might bring Fucale along slowly, giving him the easy starts in back to backs and then selling him off for some much needed goal scoring....might be a decent strategy. Inevitably, Zach is not gonna be happy playing second fiddle to Price for half his career, so if he does show promise, then a trade could work for both sides. 

Interesting to note that Vasilivesky, Gibson and Ornito are not listed, which makes the young tending even more formidable. Then you have a fairly young Cam Talbot running the show in Edmonton. Calgary also has 2 kids in the top 10, and two fairly young goalies in the NHL roster....they should end up with two star goalies when it's all said and done.

Jammer:

It's good to hear from you.  I hope all is well.

It would be interesting to see how well these "top pick" rosters work over the long haul.  Drafting goalies is a crap shoot. 

:Let's hope somebody in our system pans out...even a backup would say something.  I wonder if outsiders or free agents or even junior players view the O and B as a black hole for goalie development.  Hexy's mindset is a wonderful and radical departure from forward (I'd even say center-driven) development.

Peace,

Howie

Dear Jammer:

Well, we are both here to tell the tale...what tale is anybody's guess but we're here and that's a good place to start.  

I smell "A Tale of Two Seasons."  My gut says Opening through Christmas will be rough.  A new system, new players, tough competition will be headwinds.  But I suspect call-ups, trades, and system change may up the ante by New Year.  I will be a weary optimist.

Best,

Howie

Archived