Ghost = Entertainment

Lunatic

Hockey is entertainment. For the last two years the Flyers have been lacking in the entertainment department. Under Berube they were boring, boring, boring! Although Ghost alone won't bring the Stanley Cup, he does bring excitement and that is entertainment. In the future the Flyers will vie for the cup, but for the next few years, please leave Ghost on the team. We forget that sports are all about entertainment, the excitement and promise of youth and pure joy of competition. They allow us to forget whatever drudgeries we face on a daily basis. Sports are our release, because they bring the potential and adventure into out lives that transcend the daily grind. It will be awhile before we bring home the Cup, but in the mean time, hopefully the Flyers management will recall that it is entertainment and excitement that keep the fans loyal. Please keep and play Ghost.

Too late. Sorry.

In addition to "entertainment" hockey is about scoring goals. ghost makes that easier and more frequent.

He's not with the team anymore because Homer is a jackass butt-head.

I'm ok with this move. As someone else mentioned in another post, Ghost lost almost an entire year last year due to injury. Another year with the Phantoms certainly will not hurt him. I still veiw this year as a transition year. No need to rush any of them at ths point. I'm sure Hakstol gave Ghost a list of things to work on this year. I'm sure though if any injury should occur, we could see Ghost sooner than later.

If he plays the full year on the phantoms, Hextall will be pretty pissed off at the salaries he couldn't move.

This team needs Ghost. He needs to play.

Hopefully he gets his call up minutes. In the mean time... Hope we all like Schultz!!

If he plays the full year on the phantoms, Hextall will be pretty pissed off at the salaries he couldn't move.

This team needs Ghost. He needs to play.

Hopefully he gets his call up minutes. In the mean time... Hope we all like Schultz!!

It's not just the salaries he needs to work on his game without the puck. He'll get a chance later. Why are you so intent on rushing all the kids.

You don't want the guys they just drafted sent back to their junior teams you don't want Ghost and others going to the AHL. It just seems you think the development league is not needed and everyone is either a finished product or they can just cut players and plug kids in a let them work on their game in the NHL.

It's not how great teams function.

@Lunatic

I'm all for Ghost making the team...when he's ready. He's got some awesome talent going on. But he also isn't ready defensively, for the NHL. Nothing a stint in the A can't correct. But if he starts getting exploited for that and loses his confidence, that isn't going to help his career longterm. Especially playing on a team that already has Streit, MDz and the like not exactly defensive stalwarts.

I think he'll end up there this season. I just don't think now is the time.

Great post fc.... he is special but he needs time to work on the defensive side of the puck

At least those of us who are Phantoms' ticket holders should see some better hockey this year.  Last year was brutal but they still sold out the arena most weekends.  I won't be ordering a Ghost jersey however.

At least those of us who are Phantoms' ticket holders should see some better hockey this year.  Last year was brutal but they still sold out the arena most weekends.  I won't be ordering a Ghost jersey however.

Yes, it would be quite the pleasure being a Phantoms season ticket holder this year, damn near half of our future defense down there...you can say you saw them before they became stars!

It's not just the salaries he needs to work on his game without the puck. He'll get a chance later. Why are you so intent on rushing all the kids.

You don't want the guys they just drafted sent back to their junior teams you don't want Ghost and others going to the AHL. It just seems you think the development league is not needed and everyone is either a finished product or they can just cut players and plug kids in a let them work on their game in the NHL.

It's not how great teams function.

I think we're on the same page, just not at strictly.

You say he'll get his chance. I'd like him to get dribs and drabs in the pros This season. That's all. I saw no reason not to give the juniors as much camp time as possible and to give TK his 9 games.

I merely think they all will benefit from as much pro competition and time with their eventual coach and team mates and expectations both on the ice and off.

Plainly put I do not expect any of these guys to be full time flyers.

My comment you're responding to was about if Hextall is locked by the slim cap room to not be able to get the Ghosts of the organization the dribs and drabs hey need.

What frustrates me is. It even getting them those tastes.

I'm not for rushing hem completely. I just think any metered playing time at all isn't rushing them.

Yep, I laughted to myself when I read that Hakstol want his forwards to backcheck... geeze cant be easy for Vinny. 

I'm just hoping for Vinny to have ANY decent contribution this season...if he can backcheck and be a defensive forward, sounds good to me.

I'm just hoping for Vinny to have ANY decent contribution this season...if he can backcheck and be a defensive forward, sounds good to me.

I hope he contributes as a scorer or playmaker this year, i have no expectation regarding "learning an old dog to sit" (vinny backchecking) how was his defensive skills on the 4th line last year? He have never done that before and if he is expected to backcheck hard he will get cranky and his play will get worse. 

I hope he contributes as a scorer or playmaker this year, i have no expectation regarding "learning an old dog to sit" (vinny backchecking) how was his defensive skills on the 4th line last year? He have never done that before and if he is expected to backcheck hard he will get cranky and his play will get worse.

I could see old man Vinny getting cranky over having to backcheck, but it's very scary thought that his play could actually be worse.

Archived