Ghost = Entertainment

Lunatic

Hockey is entertainment. For the last two years the Flyers have been lacking in the entertainment department. Under Berube they were boring, boring, boring! Although Ghost alone won't bring the Stanley Cup, he does bring excitement and that is entertainment. In the future the Flyers will vie for the cup, but for the next few years, please leave Ghost on the team. We forget that sports are all about entertainment, the excitement and promise of youth and pure joy of competition. They allow us to forget whatever drudgeries we face on a daily basis. Sports are our release, because they bring the potential  and adventure  into out lives that transcend the daily grind. It will be awhile before we  bring home the Cup, but in the mean time, hopefully the Flyers management will recall that it is entertainment and excitement  that keep the fans loyal. Please keep and play Ghost.

not only entertaining but Ghost is a piece the Flyers the need right now. He's ready from what I've seen - another strong game last night (only saw 1/2 the game). I don't see how you send him back to the Phantoms; the Flyers need production from the blue line. Hakstol wants the D activated often and Ghost is naturally suited to that style game. The forwards will have to be on their toes when Ghost is on because he'll be part of the attack whenever he gets a chance.

The forwards will have to be on their toes when Ghost is on because he'll be part of the attack whenever he gets a chance.

This appears to be the key to Hakstol's system succeeding. The forwards must backcheck aggressively. Last nigh C Mac and Porter demonstrated why they are still with the Flyers.

@Lunatic

I'm all for Ghost making the team...when he's ready. He's got some awesome talent going on. But he also isn't ready defensively, for the NHL. Nothing a stint in the A can't correct. But if he starts getting exploited for that and loses his confidence, that isn't going to help his career longterm. Especially playing on a team that already has Streit, MDz and the like not exactly defensive stalwarts.

I think he'll end up there this season. I just don't think now is the time.

@flyercanuck   Skill wise, I think Ghost is one of our 7 best defensemen, but that does not necessarily mean that it's the proper career trajectory to start out the year in Philly. Like you,, I'd like to see him work on the defensive portion of his game and join the league from a position of strength. Once he comes up, I believe he will stay, so let's get all the stuff he has to work on out of the way.

Please keep and play Ghost.

I agree with your post but i would expect him to be returned till Hexy can remove some of the turds from this blueline. But expect him to do that and recall Ghost soon because like you said i enjoy watching him play. Sure he will make mistakes but i also believe he can/will work through them. 

Besides if he can can eventually turn into the Dman i saw when he won it all in college...i can't wait because that was single handedly the best college hockey game i ever saw...he put on a clinic...amazing. He played well in both zone for his Union team and was huge in them winning it all.

The forwards will have to be on their toes when Ghost is on because he'll be part of the attack whenever he gets a chance.

It won't be just when Ghost is on the ice it will be when MDZ is rushing up ice or even Streit or MDV.

Hak said his system is structure like that and the forwards will have to learn to recognize this and know when to rotate in and cover them.

So it will be a learning process and i imagine there will be some bumps along the way but it will be uptempo and waaaaay better than watching them under Berube.

Ghost was just sent down along with Haag and Cousins.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=780601

Well that solves that. Yeah Hextall has some garbage to clean up on the blueline before the kid returns. It won't be long. This blueline sorely needs a stay at home that can move like Morin too. I'd expect when they eventually get here Morin and Ghost will be a pair.

"You evaluate the total game," said Hakstol. "This is a tough game to play in. I'm very positive about the impact Shayne is having. He didn't have a good first couple days of camp but he's working on his game and he's doing a good job."

"There are big positives to what he's bringing to the table. He's coming off a year where he didn't play a lot of hockey. When you evaluate some areas of the game, areas away from the puck, those are things he'll continue to work at. He's done a very nice job on the power play."

So there are things he can work on in the meantime.

“I think he’s worked hard at it. I think he’s had some good and some bad along the way. I think he’d tell you the same thing. I think there are things there that he’s learning every day. Down below, tops of circles in our end. Young players have to work every day to learn the details of the game," said Hakstol.

In the meantime, Hakstol said he's been impressed by what he's seen from Hägg throughout camp, as the player appears more poised and confident than he did a year ago as a 19-year-old rookie.

"[We have liked] the growth of his game over a year. I wasn’t here a year ago, but I see where he’s at right now and he's a very efficient player. His role is different than Shayne Gostisbehere. Within his role he’s doing a good job. He’s a consistent everyday player. He’s earned his way to this point. He’s shown a ton of growth as a young player in the American Hockey League last year and that’s what he’s displaying right now. He’s earned his way here," said Hakstol.

We'll see them soon in the future Hextall has to take out the garbage first...........................is it trash day yet???

Ghost lost an entire year of development last year...let's not forget that. If he didn't, maybe he'd be ready. 

Also as OR mentioned, there's still some cleaning up to do on that backend. I think he's up by trade deadline, at the latest.

Phantoms coach last season? Remember him? If there's one thing he knows it's coaching defense.

And loading up on goons....so glad he is gone...anyone that puts Stortini on the 1st line RW needs to be dragged out back and shot....................................

Conner got sent to the Phantoms too...damn. He's a veteran you can count on for support in any situation; I really him. I hope the coaches are happy with him and he's back with the Flyers soon. I guess some contracts will have to expire or get moved before the Flyers can go with the likes of Conner, Ghost, Morin.

I just like the idea of "trial by fire" in Ghost's case b/c he's so obviously ready to contribute. Skating against the NHL's best will expose his defensive weaknesses but so what? It's not going to ruin the kid's confidence when he gets burned occasionally is it? Hell there's career NHL D-men who get beat all the time.

Well I'm sure the Flyers' management/coaches know best ... (what a nice change...haven't thought that in awhile :)

I just like the idea of "trial by fire" in Ghost's case b/c he's so obviously ready to contribute.

I think you nailed it with your previous sentence...

I guess some contracts will have to expire or get moved before the Flyers can go with the likes of Conner, Ghost, Morin.

I think it's more of a logjam factor rather than a knock on Ghost. Sure, he can become a better defenseman, and maybe a quarter season in the A will do him some good. Can't hurt, right? On the other hand, I agree with you that he's basically ready in every other way for the NHL. Even his size is now decent.

Well that solves that. Yeah Hextall has some garbage to clean up on the blueline before the kid returns. It won't be long. This blueline sorely needs a stay at home that can move like Morin too. I'd expect when they eventually get here Morin and Ghost will be a pair.

I'm ok with this move.  As someone else mentioned in another post, Ghost lost almost an entire year last year due to injury.  Another year with the Phantoms certainly will not hurt him.  I still veiw this year as a transition year.  No need to rush any of them at ths point.  I'm sure Hakstol gave Ghost a list of things to work on this year.  I'm sure though if any injury should occur, we could see Ghost sooner than later.

On an emotional level I want Ghost on the Flyers now but accept that he was sent down ostensibly to improve his defense.  I also suspect that there being eight d'men on one way contracts weighed on the Flyers decision to send Ghost back to the AHL.

The Flyers are in new territory and hopefully not out of their league, when it comes to developing defensemen. They are taking a conservative approach, and suggest that there is ample evidence that by-and-large rushing a player, particularly a d'man, frequently  results in a negative outcome. They are now in unfamiliar territory. Other than Jimmy Watson, they have never drafted a single defenseman with the potential of any of the the fab five. When H2 say that they are trying something new, by not rushing d'men into the NHL, but letting them ripen at lower level leagues there are lots of assumptions behind that mentality since they have never had the quality of d'men that they now have, to make that statement specific to the Flyers so they must look around the league to support their position.  On the surface it makes sense, but there are numerous variables that go into developing d'men: skill-set, physical and mental maturity and make-up of the player, youthful energy, opportunities to develop at the lower level, and the particulars of the parent club at the time a d'man may be ready. Can it hurt to mature players at a lower level? Sure, depending on whether the team that they play on allows them to strengthen their weaker areas. CHL, and college hockey teams want to win, which is  a good thing, so their objectives may not align with the players perceived needs.. Fruit left on the vine too long rots. In Ghosts case last year he was sent down and promptly blew out his ACL,  might of he had the same accident in the NHL, sure, but he had it in the AHL and lost a year of development. 

I have faith that the Flyers are on the right track in developing young players, but hope that they keep in mind that there is no one right way to do things.

Very excited for this season to start, new coach, new philosophy, new work ethic....it's all a breath of fresh air.

Then there's Lecavalier, Umberger and MacDonald, all a part of the hole in the ozone.

Archived