Flyers to waive MacDonald at noon today

brelic

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The writing is on the wall. Vinny and mcdud know their future with this team  should know they have no future with this team. If I'm vinny I'm terminating my contract and landing on a team that needs a center with size who can do a bottom 6 . Or just retire. He needs to go out on top. This is becoming a disaster for him and also the team. Mcdud needs to decide if 25 million dollars is worth playing in the ahl instead of playing for a team at a lesser amount to play for the cup. That's every players dream.

Fixed it for ya. :D

@maddog

he becomes a lehigh valley phantom. his cap hit for the NHL team is still gross, but he will become an AHL player.

I thought Hextall threw some sunshine on Scott Laughton saying he pushed hard and made the team. After all the stammering about MacDonald being a "pro" and NHL player , it was nice to hear some nice things being said about Laugts

@maddog

he becomes a lehigh valley phantom. his cap hit for the NHL team is still gross, but he will become an AHL player.

I thought Hextall threw some sunshine on Scott Laughton saying he pushed hard and made the team. After all the stammering about MacDonald being a "pro" and NHL player , it was nice to hear some nice things being said about Laugts

So his salary still counts against the cap, correct? And the only benefit is that the Flyers cleared the roster spot to use someone else instead?

So his salary still counts against the cap, correct? 

You can get a maximum of ~$900K salary cap relief by waiving and assigning a player, so in this case we will have about $4.1M of dead cap space.

You can get a maximum of ~$900K salary cap relief by waiving and assigning a player, so in this case we will have about $4.1M of dead cap space.

They get $950K in cap "relief" and $4.05M of MacDud™ remain on the NHL cap.

That's enough to keep Laughton ($863K) and they then have about $610K or so in cap space.

They get $950K in cap "relief" and $4.05M of MacDud remain on the NHL cap.

That's enough to keep Laughton ($863K) and they then have about $610K or so in cap space.

While this scenario is still better than what we have, let's hope that someone will pick him up.  There's GOTTA be another Holmgren in the league. All it takes is just ONE team. 

I have faith!

There's GOTTA be another Holmgren in the league. All it takes is just ONE team. 

There is!! Unfortunately, he works for us.*

* of course, looking at the body of evidence, it would be easier to conclude that he works against us.

so wait.... McDud simply wont get better b/c he has a new Coach? I am shocked! (King of Knuts - looking at you buddy :) )

I appreciated the hope. But it's like hoping 2 Broke Girls will suddenly get funny because it changed nights.

While this scenario is still better than what we have, let's hope that someone will pick him up.  There's GOTTA be another Holmgren in the league. All it takes is just ONE team. 

I have faith!

so wait.... McDud simply wont get better b/c he has a new Coach?

He doesn't need to get better. He made the team look better for 19 games once. And they made the playoffs that year, too!

:ph34r:

I have faith!

Come on Boston!!!!!!    you gave a 3rd for Rinaldo... make it happen!

It isn't so much the cap relief as just cleaning up another bad decision by Holmgren, which leaves space to call up Ghost!

Not yet.

Still have to move Gudas or Schenn before there's even a roster spot for him.

5 years in the minors for $25mil? Sign me up.  Pretty easy way to coast into my gold years.

Honestly, I'm pretty unsatisfied with Hextall and Hakstol's 'brilliance' so far.  In fact, I'm putting on my tin foil hat and choosing to believe that Hextall and Hakstol have a long term plan that they're just not going to share with us yet.  As a result, I shall henceforth refer to them as the "Haxis of Evil".

As I see it, they are either evil mastermind puppet masters or they're complete morons.  Not for this move in particular, but for this move becoming necessary.  MacDonald was always the outlier because his contract was so ridiculous (4 million at 4 years would have been the MOST that should have been needed, even in that inflated market 2 years ago).  But I'm just confounded with the apparent tossing up of the hands and shoulder shrug as to what to do with the team until the youth "is ready".

Did anyone consider trying to Effing COACH THEM?

A half day of "Class", a half week of practice, a few games with prospects beginning to execute a system and then, SCREW IT!  it all goes out the window... and we're SURPRISED that Schenn and MacDonald and Gudas don't look any better?

Did the "Haxis of Evil" actually expect that doing nothing differently would change the outcome on the ice?  No.  That makes no sense and I refuse to believe the 'Haxis of Evil' is a thicker less bold version of Homer.  No.  The Haxis must have a plan.

This whole team is being set up to fail this year, and for the life of me, I can't really figure out why.  Why Oh Why isn't Hakstol trying to improve this team's play on the ice? and Why oh Why isn't Hextall interested in insisting on it?  Isn't that Why Hextall HIRED Hakstol?  Indeed I suppose we shall find out eventually.  In the mean time get ready for 5 years of ridiculously wasted cap space.

Archived