Flyers to waive MacDonald at noon today

brelic

Rad, you have a valid point.  I keep forgetting that he has been tossed around this line-up to and fro like a ship in the middle of hurricane.  I think awhile ago I even posted to give him a chance to see what Hakstol can achieve with him while giving him some stability.  My bad for lumping him in with his brother.

There are definitely worse things to have than 24-year-old 20-goal scorers.

Flyers need more 20-goal scorers, not less :)

We'll see what Laughton brings, but I don't see him being a 20-goal guy anytime soon. Couturier really needs to step into this second-line center role and offensively contribute in a significant way. And not only because I drafted him in the 15th round of my FHL - but that's certainly a good enough reason! :)

Read also needs to find a scoring touch again, and, quite frankly, the VeeGees need to move into the 30-goal range.

Team needs more scoring, specifically at even strength.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He will be. I also think he will be bought out eventually.

The amount of money this team is putting out - and potentially will be putting out - to erase Homer's mistakes is staggering.

Right off the top, they'll be paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year FOR THE NEXT TWELVE YEARS

Snider's "loyalty" to Homer is incredible. Why this guy still has a job is beyond me.

The amount of money this team is putting out - and potentially will be putting out - to erase Homer's mistakes is staggering.

Right off the top, they'll be paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year FOR THE NEXT TWELVE YEARS

Snider's "loyalty" to Homer is incredible. Why this guy still has a job is beyond me.

I know. It's sickening.

Hextall is proving to me that he's no puppet. He'll slash you behind the legs when you're not looking.

they'll be paying Bryzgalov $1.6M a year FOR THE NEXT TWELVE YEARS

Must be nice to be paid that much to do nothing and suck at while doing it.  Nothing like having a guranteed income to sit at home talking to the bears in the middle of the woods.  Homer screwed this team SO BADLY...like you said it is both staggering and mind blowing. (just shaking my head in disgust)

Homer screwed this team SO BADLY...like you said it is both staggering and mind blowing. (just shaking my head in disgust)

I try not to think about it too often or I get viscerally angry.

Guy can't even show his face at Flyers games these days - and that's a good thing.

The delusion in this article is incredible

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/flyers/Flyers-put-high-priced-MacDonald-on-waivers.html

Schenn was jolted by the demotion of MacDonald, his one-time defensive partner.

“I don’t think anyone saw that coming,” he said.

Schenn said that “sometimes things can be perceived through a different view just because of a contract. But I think he’s actually a real solid two-way defenseman and underrated player. He moves the puck well, he’s solid defensively. A great teammate. Who knows, maybe he will be back sooner than later? He’s really respected by his teammates and he’s definitely an NHL player.’’

Again, I agree MacDonald is "an NHL player" - a third pair, league minimum NHL player but an NHL player nonetheless.

But you "didn't see that coming"? Why? This is a "$5M" player that was a healthy scratch last season and played 58 games. And he had twelve points. That projects to seventeen points from a $5M defenseman???

If LSchenn couldn't see that coming, we gain insight into why he has trouble seeing where things are coming from on the ice.

MacDonald had been a top-pairing D-man with the Isles, and he led the NHL with 242 blocked shots in 2013-14, a season in which he played in only 19 games with the Flyers and was then rewarded with a six-year deal.

MacDonald had 24 points in 63 games and no matter how many shots he blocked he was playing "top pair" for the Islanders by default. Is there another "top pair, offensive" player in the league that's "projecting" to a 30-point season and, in fact, has never scored 30 points in any NHL season??

Not on any successful team.

When the season opens in Tampa on Thursday, Luke Schenn ($3.6 million cap hit) will be the seventh defensemen, and forwards Sam Gagner ($3.2 million) and Vinny Lecavalier ($4.5 million) are penciled in as healthy scratches.

That means the Flyers will have four players totaling $16.3 million of cap space (including MacDonald’s original cap hit) who are not in the lineup.

Take out Gagner and Homer signings represent $13.1 MILLION in dead cap space.

#homercoaster

When the season opens in Tampa on Thursday, Luke Schenn ($3.6 million cap hit) will be the seventh defensemen, and forwards Sam Gagner ($3.2 million) and Vinny Lecavalier ($4.5 million) are penciled in as healthy scratches.

That means the Flyers will have four players totaling $16.3 million of cap space (including MacDonald’s original cap hit) who are not in the lineup.

Take out Gagner and Homer signings represent $13.1 MILLION in dead cap space.

This is truly even scarier.  The cap hell Homer put this team is just downright disgusting.  (shaking my head in anger even more)

Great response Rad.  Hard to argue against any of it. I sincerely want to know what Homer was smoking when he handed out these contracts.  Talk about having the wool over your eyes.... We are talking about catastrphic moves here that have set this organization back many many many seasons. Disgusting!

This is truly even scarier.  The cap hell Homer put this team is just downright disgusting.  (shaking my head in anger even more)

Great response Rad.  Hard to argue against any of it. I sincerely want to know what Homer was smoking when he handed out these contracts.  Talk about having the wool over your eyes.... We are talking about catastrphic moves here that have set this organization back many many many seasons. Disgusting!

To put that $13M in perspective, that represents just under 20% of the total salary cap. TWENTY PERCENT!

I know I said "take out Gagner" but, of course, they picked up Gagner's $3.2M for $7.9M of Homer contracts and they retained $500K of Grossmann to do it).

Put your analysts on danger money, baby!

VLC will be bought out after this season, there's simply no other course of action. I have no issue with Hextall giving it one last shot to see if a new coach could do anything. He'll see the lineup this year, but I don't think anyone trades for him. Scratched on opening night against his old team - it's pretty much the final nail. Buying him out is pretty much never painful (less than 1 million in dead space in the "out years" where he wouldn't have been on the payroll), and the roster space and 1.5-2.5 million in cap space over the next two years is valuable.

Luke Schenn will be traded. Someone will take him at the deadline, especially when you consider that the Flyers could eat 1.75 million in his salary without worrying about it, as his contract ends this year. If not, you just don't re-sign him.

I actually thought Gagner looked ok in the game time I saw from him, but it was admittedly very little. At worst, his contract falls off after this season. At best, you pick up a draft pick in exchange for half his salary. (Between him, Luke, and Grossmann, that's it for retained salary trades, but each contract ends after this season)

Umberger does seem to have some of his old speed back. I'd prefer swapping him with Schenn, rather than forcing Schenn into the LW round hole that it appears to be, but if he is coached to the position and allowed to actually spend time there, maybe it will work. Maybe you can get something for Umberger, maybe you just keep him. If he's serviceable (he did put up 18 goals his last season in Columbus), keeping him for one more season as a veteran voice may not be the worst development in the world.

Assuming he produces similar to last season, Streit can be moved fairly easily, and for a good return. With only one year left on his deal, and likely no next contract of consequence on the horizon (he'll be 39 when this deal expires), keeping him doesn't make a ton of sense except possibly from a leadership standpoint. It becomes even more palatable if Medvedev and Del Zotto can fill his role, and it allows for Gostisbehere to step in full time late in the season.

Medvedev looked decent in pre-season, the one year deal gives the Flyers lots of options and flexibility where he is concerned.

Assuming they move Streit and buyout VLC, that puts the Flyers at a cap number of just under 55 million dollars next year (17 million in space under the current cap), with 9 forwards and 3 defensemen under contract. Medvedev, White, and Raffl will (potentially) be looking at new UFA deals. Gudas, Manning, and B. Schenn are RFA. Next year, there will actually be flexibility, and even more should any of the kids on D look to be ready. They will likely need to go the FA route for a stopgap defenseman or two, but things should be mostly cleaned up.

There's GOTTA be another Holmgren in the league. All it takes is just ONE team. 

Don Sweeney has been pulling a pretty spot on Homer impersonation over the last few months. I'm sure he could use a veteran puckcushion.

Hextall is proving to me that he's no puppet. He'll slash you behind the legs when you're not looking.

That said, technically Hex was part of the management group for the McDud signing. He would have been part of the discussion that led to that disaster.

He is signed for this year and next at 5.25 mill he should fetch a return close to what Coburn fetched.

Yeah you're right. He's be a better asset to a cup contender. His offense is a bear. Especially on the pp.

I guess if there's another TK out there in the late first it'll be worth it.

Plus his cap room plus gagner's would be enough to replace him.

Oh dear God please no....

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/10/7/9470303/andrew-macdonald-paired-with-shayne-gostisbehere-at-phantoms-practice

....why would they want to destroy this kids confidence playing with this pylon....yeah kid let me show you how to get paid and then go rot in the minors....easy peasy...

If I'm one of the Schenn brothers or Vinny, I would be looking for alternative employment oppurtunitites.  Clearly, if they are smart enough, they should see the handwriting on the wall.  Brayden should see he needs to get his act together now.  Luke, well he might be serve a purpose around the trade deadline and Vinny should say yes to ANY offer that his agent can muster up.  If Mcdud became a casaulty of the new Hakstol era then these afore mentioned players should be put on notice that their time with this team is counting down.

PS ... LOL ... I  love your avatar!  There are many variations of that photo floating around the internet. Love it! :)

Exactly my opinion. They should know by now and search for another team, and hopefully say yes to another employer. 

Ok, lol, Im a hunter myself and thought it was kind of funny. 

Archived