Game #2 - Flyers at Panthers - Oct 10 2015

brelic

18 million dollar 1st line.............................ZERO points!!!!

Que phlfly!!!

Sure hope the Eagles can pull out a win tomorrow or the fans may get restless up in Philly and do something crazy...

Yup and we saw that on Thursday vs. the Bolts.  That is the new face of the NHL and sadly the Flyers reacted very slowly to this change.  There is help coming, but that, in the form of the youngsters,  are still a year or two away at best.  The Flyers never adjusted to the new NHL and they never learned how to really manage the cap and they are now paying dearly for their lack of foresight.

Maybe some help on the blue line in the future, but there's nothing to look forward to up front except Konecny.  Bad drafting by the Flyer alumni club, aka, the scouting department. This rebuild is gonna take much longer than we were hoping for.

I feel sorry for Hakstol. He's basically being set-up to have a terrible season. Let's hope our GM and/or owner doesn't can him because of that, like BUF did with Nolan. 

I agree. Maybe it would be better to bring someone like hakstol in AFTER a rebuild of the team. Yesterday I compared our roster to other rosters... and is not pretty. It will be a long long season... 

I was optimistic about, if we pnly get a good pre-season and gets a really good start we could float this season thru. But know, its dark its really dark. Yes only game 2 but anyway, the way they get outplayed its brutal. 

Thank goodness the beer is free in this package! It's helping us get through the game. Nice spread the Stadium had for us.

Me too.  I was down in the red zone where there was a huge buffet, beer, wine, etc. all included with our ticket prices. It was a great time for those that can make the trip next time. 

Observations from last night's game:

1. Game sucked

2. Food and beer were great

3. I caught Voracek checking out my wife during one of the TV time outs.  Can't blame him though. 

4. Keagan Bradley was there so I got to talk with him briefly after the game.  Very nice guy. 

Our best defender (Mason) was terrible. The Flyers will be competitive only when he's on his game. Not enough talent to overcome bad goaltending.

He's taken full blame for the loss. So that is a start and i expect them to come out with a vengeance versus the Panthers monday night in their barn. It's only two games. No need for anyone to panic.

“We had a good team in here, a good coach, good systems, I put this one on myself,” Mason said after Saturday’s 7-1 humiliation to the Panthers at BB&T Center .

“There’s no way around it. It wasn’t a good effort. Nobody else should be feeling sorry for themselves. We’re not going to feel sorry for ourselves. We’re going to be better and it starts with me.”

Mason made timely saves for the Flyers during their 3-2 overtime loss in Tampa and helped get the game into overtime, earning them a point.

In this one, easy plays became nightmares. Rebounds his pads swallow went directly onto sticks.

“Right from the beginning, nothing I can be too proud of tonight,” he said. “I take full responsibility for this loss. Short memory and put it behind me.”

There was a 10-minute, players-only team meeting, too.

Asked if there was more to this loss than his own play, Mason said it was mostly him.

“There wasn’t a whole lot of good,” he said. “I don’t want to pinpoint one thing. There was just too much to talk about that wasn’t good today.”

@OccamsRazor

To me at least it sounds like they are attempting to be more accountable and honest with themselves.  Now to put into practice what they preach.

Yes and you can't get better without identifying the problem and areas that need to be worked on.

They will hopefully get better once they know the system maybe and aren't thinking so much just reacting.

When you are thinking a lot the speed from teams will kill you because there's less time to make your mind up. It will get better i hope.

And let's be honest speed presents a problem for anyone even the ones who already know their system...speed kills. There will be bumps along the way...and when Streit and Schultz are your #1 shutdown D pair...............yikes....it could get worse before it gets better!

@OccamsRazor

To me at least it sounds like they are attempting to be more accountable and honest with themselves.  Now to put into practice what they preach.

They got throttled in the second game of the season in the 79-80 season then proceeded to go undefeated for the next 35!

Let's cross our fingers for the same magic!!! :blink[1]:

Greetings:

I was at Sunrise.  There were plenty of O and B fans in full gear.  Our Let's go Flyers chants dropped after the third goal.  I left after the second period.  It was unbearable.

Two of Mason's four were self-inflicted.  But the whole team looked slower and less skilled.  It seemed they wanted to play dump-and-chase but couldn't even chase.  I hate to say it but we looked bad against this team last year and yesterday was really embarrassing.  

Having a back-to-back with these folks will be an interesting litmus test.  By the way, Neuvirth looked pretty sharp.  I also thought Simmonds tried to carry the team.  I couldn't detect any other positives.

Best,

Howie

Maybe some help on the blue line in the future, but there's nothing to look forward to up front except Konecny.  Bad drafting by the Flyer alumni club, aka, the scouting department. This rebuild is gonna take much longer than we were hoping for.

tyler leier 

nick abue-kuebel

radev fazleev

oscars lindblom 

these are guys that i think are pretty highly regarded around the league in the Flyers system, i think only Leier is on the phantoms, so i don't think things are as bleak as they seem.

Plus Cousins looked okay in the preseason.  

Getting the cap space from VLC/ Umberger (who has been decent),  and maybe a trade will give Hextall some options in free agency or via trade.

i don't have the all hope is lost feeling.

That was a tough game to watch. I think it's fair to blame Mason for about 3 of those 4 goals. Yah.. that's bad and that pretty much decided the game right there. However, there was plenty of time to come back to some semblance of respectability. But, they did not. SO, to put ALL the blame on Mason isn't fair to say either. 

To a man, they did not play a good game. And, I think we're not giving enough credit here to Florida. They seem to have a very good team. They have speed, skill and toughness. Good mix of veterans and young talent. There's a lot to like about what's going on there. Good teams will make mediocre and bad teams look as they are. 

These lines need to change. B schenn needs to be 2c and coots 3c and fill out the rest. Coots will bring down simmers numbers and b schenn is lost on left wing just like simmer is. Until they fix this there will be no balance scoring and they will be a dumpster fire all season. Also why does everyone say we played down to the competition ? Florida is better then us like most teams are right now. Maybe if we play Arizona we can call it playing to their level.

And, I think we're not giving enough credit here to Florida. They seem to have a very good team. They have speed, skill and toughness. Good mix of veterans and young talent. There's a lot to like about what's going on there. Good teams will make mediocre and bad teams look as they are. 

Barkov looks unstoppable (reminds me of young Malkenstien)  there are a lot of big, fast, skilled guys on that Panthers team,  they could be a sleeper in our conference.

you are right , there's a good mix of good ingredients on that team 

Greetings:

I concur with others regarding Florida.  Tallon has been stockpiling some great young players and avoided most of the dumb long-term hires given shortage of funds...he did not have Comcast backing.  So they may be 2-3 years ahead of us in a rebuild.  Per earlier post, I remember a game against this team was an almost guaranteed win.  I have a feeling if we aren't careful, history is going to boomerang. 

Howie

Echoing @Jmdodgesrt4 on Couturier, I'm still not sold on him offensively. Starting his fifth season, I still don't see it. 

I'm happy they will give him a chance to prove it by putting him as 2nd line center, but I'm not expecting a significant bump in offensive production, if any. 

He might be a Coburn type - drafted 8th overall, a ton of promise and potential, but ultimately a decent player with a specialty role that never lives up to the hype. I'm not saying bust - I think Gagner might fall into that category. Just underwhelming.

Archived