NHL please ditch the floating power play camera

mojo1917

Ugh,  who's idea is it to pull a fixed lens camera along a couple of wires when there is a powerplay.

this vantage point brings nothing to telling the story of the game, the shot is too wide, the instability of the guide wire system simulates floating in pool . it just flat out sucks.

i know there's the temptation to use the steadi system in a fashion similar to the NFL and if that vantage point 15 feet off the playing surface behind the play with the moving fixed lens  okay.  that's not what's happening what's happening takes a fine HD broadcast backwards to the days of standard def.  

anyone else notice and or hate this ?

I thought it was a good vantage point for seeing the whole play, where every player is on the ice without perspective making them look closer to each other than they really are, the problem is...You can't see the puck. So for all the nice things about being able to see everyone, I couldn't actually follow the play.

I thought it was a good vantage point for seeing the whole play, where every player is on the ice without perspective making them look closer to each other than they really are, the problem is...You can't see the puck. So for all the nice things about being able to see everyone, I couldn't actually follow the play.

right. but the standard blueline camera turret gets that shot and shows the game better, especially on the power play, 

the broadcasters are trying to eat half the **** sandwich.  that camera needs to be closer to the ice and over the playing surface otherwise that camera platform is a waste.

Ugh, who's idea is it to pull a fixed lens camera along a couple of wires when there is a powerplay.

this vantage point brings nothing to telling the story of the game, the shot is too wide, the instability of the guide wire system simulates floating in pool . it just flat out sucks

AGREED!  It sucks!!!!!!!! 86 it now Uncle Gary.

Ugh,  who's idea is it to pull a fixed lens camera along a couple of wires when there is a powerplay.

this vantage point brings nothing to telling the story of the game, the shot is too wide, the instability of the guide wire system simulates floating in pool . it just flat out sucks.

i know there's the temptation to use the steadi system in a fashion similar to the NFL and if that vantage point 15 feet off the playing surface behind the play with the moving fixed lens  okay.  that's not what's happening what's happening takes a fine HD broadcast backwards to the days of standard def.  

anyone else notice and or hate this ?

I am with you mojo...  feel like I get vertigo when they switch over!

I kept saying this in chat last night. There is way too much camera bounce, zoom in, zoom out, turning, etc. Almost gives you motion sickness.

I think we should all start a class action lawsuit against NBC and the NHL. Claim their gimmick cam gave us all vertigo. :)

Don't worry. To fix this, they will bring back the CGI effects they used on Fox that trailed the puck for that one season years ago.

SWOOOSH!!  :ph34r:

(I must say that I kinda did like the effect that showed the puck showing through the near boards. I thought that was helpful, but it was the first effect to go away. Oh well.)

Archived