Flyers rumours - Could Simmonds be on the move?

brelic

@pilldoc   Just thought I would throw this in while we are talking bout big d-men...last summer, the Spits had the 12th selection at the OHL draft. They used it on Logan Stanley, a 17 year old giant at 6'6 (but still skinny) at 209 lbs. I heard on the radio broadcast of a game last week that Logan had in fact grown and is now 6'7 and 215 lbs. This kid is special, I have no doubt he will be a high draft pick eventually. He hardly has any hint of awkward in his stride...and he is super mean also. I don't know if he is done growing, but he certainly has the frame to eventually weigh around 240 ish. It is gonna be some serious fun to watch this beast evolve and grow as a player.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

. Now Moring may or may not turn out to be the 2nd coming of Chara, but for goodness sakes lets not dig his grave yet.

Let's not forget that morin almost made the squad last year.

The fact that he didn't this year is what's making him a bust? KindA silly

Let's not forget that morin almost made the squad last year.

I don't see how he "almost made the squad" last year (sent down on October 3 immediately after the last preseason game) - and he was sent down pretty early from camp this season (September 23 - didn't even play in the last four preseason games).

He's by no means a "bust" at this point, but if his play demanded that he be in the NHL I think the Flyers and Hextall have proven (Laughton for MacDonald) that they would make the necessary moves to keep him up.

I think the Chara comparisons are probably better than Pronger,  Chara had some seriously lackluster seasons for the Islanders at 21, 22 and 23 and didn't really break out until his second season at Ottawa at 25.

Morin is 20. Let him grow into his game at the professional level. If he turns into a Zdeno Chara at 25, there would be worse things in the world.

I don't see how he "almost made the squad" last year (sent down on October 3 immediately after the last preseason game) - and he was sent down pretty early from camp this season (September 23 - didn't even play in the last four preseason games).

He's by no means a "bust" at this point, but if his play demanded that he be in the NHL I think the Flyers and Hextall have proven (Laughton for MacDonald) that they would make the necessary moves to keep him up.

I think the Chara comparisons are probably better than Pronger, Chara had some seriously lackluster seasons for the Islanders at 21, 22 and 23 and didn't really break out until his second season at Ottawa at 25.

Morin is 20. Let him grow into his game at the professional level. If he turns into a Zdeno Chara at 25, there would be worse things in the world.

Though It was preseason, he was clearly one of the strongest D men on the ice for the flyers two years ago. And it was just a given that he'd be in juniors because of his age. There was much chatter that had the ck tract situations been different he might have gotten a few of his 9 games.

I won't get into why, because no one agrees with me, or at least the ones who do don't chime in until I acquiesce, but in any event in glad he gets to be a phantom this year. Can't hurt.

I expect next September there will be a few open roster spots on D and the competition to get them will be fierce and I fully expect the likes of Provo, Sanheim and Morin to push the hell out of each other.

This year he didn't shine as much,

There was much chatter that had the ck tract situations been different he might have gotten a few of his 9 games.

Right, but Hextall has been pretty consistent in his insistence that "the nine games" doesn't really help either party - it makes it more difficult when the player is returned to his Junior team (which is already running without him) and limits the club options going forward. I like the patience he's showing in not rushing kids to the big show and hope he continues that.

I expect next September there will be a few open roster spots on D and the competition to get them will be fierce and I fully expect the likes of Provo, Sanheim and Morin to push the hell out of each other.

Yeah, I think Schenn at this point is a traded man walking and it wouldn't surprise me to see either or both of Streit/Schultz dealt - especially if they see "the future is now" with some of the prospects. I think they hang onto Gudas and maybe bring back Medvedev,

Again, I like Morin (I just compared him to Chara, you'll note) - but there is a long history in which many if not most defencemen don't really reach their NHL potential until their mid 20s. Pronger had a nice (30 points, 81 games) season in his rookie year at 20, then had a couple disappointing seasons which saw him dealt to STL after a 14-point 43 games season and a lackluster 25 in 78 in his first seasons with the Blues. He was 22 - two years older than Morin - when he really established himself and it wasn't until he was 24 when he broke 40 points and 25 when he had his breakout 62-point season.

If Morin blows the doors off before then, terrific. If it takes until then, no problem. But I think until he shows he must be in the NHL, getting "his time" in the AHL is a good thing for him and the franchise.

agree w/ everything you said.... except, he will never have Chara's shot.

Yeah, I'm thinking more of the big, intimidating presence with a nice offensive upside to his game (even if not the same sort of shot).

I don't think Hexy will sacrifice the future he is building for this team for a another player who may or maynot fit on this team or pick up another ridiculus contract.

I don't either he will simply work around it like we have seen up until this point.

agree w/ everything you said.... except, he will never have Chara's shot.

Maybe but check it out not to shabby!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CGImS-PVAAAFoXC.mp4

Flyers can also use this back there around the crease as well....

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKDphQVWoAAkuzC.mp4

...just give the kid some time and see were it goes...

Maybe but check it out not to shabby!!!

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CGImS-PVAAAFoXC.mp4

Flyers can also use this back there around the crease as well....

https://pbs.twimg.com/tweet_video/CKDphQVWoAAkuzC.mp4

...just give the kid some time and see were it goes...

Believe me... I am high on him! I hope he develops that Pronger-asshole-attitude that made Pronger so great...

Maybe he could trade Simmer his two time leading goal scorer to a team so that team can win the cup. I love when we do that.

It would have to be a huge haul for me to consider moving a forward with a nice contract like he has...plus they would get softer losing him.

It would have to blow me away...his deal is a bargain when you compare it to others on this team.

She was the hottest Angel...ever.  Yum yum.

Man, we sure are dating ourselves with this topic.  :blink[1]:

Hard to pick the hottest Angel, they all were smokin' in their own way but I may have to agree...she was the third Angel when I first starting watching but DAMN, it's hard to put Farrah in the corner.

farah-fawcett-famous-iconic-swimsuit-pos

though as I age my tastes have turned more towards brunettes and I might have to vote for Jaclyn Smith  :rolleyes:

Man, we sure are dating ourselves with this topic. :blink[1]:

Hard to pick the hottest Angel, they all were smokin' in their own way but I may have to agree...she was the third Angel when I first starting watching but DAMN, it's hard to put Farrah in the corner.

farah-fawcett-famous-iconic-swimsuit-pos

though as I age my tastes have turned more towards brunettes and I might have to vote for Jaclyn Smith :rolleyes:

I am with ya cheese.... Farrah was a babe.

Speaking of Hakstol's Angels, Simmonds adds so many layers of values and what he brings to the team, he would be worth more here than elsewhere. Disrupting the locker room for a 5 on 5 scorer might not be the answer. What total affect does a key player bring to the team/locker room/chemistry. The TCO might be too high. A Stamkos kind of return would have to compensate for all the net value Simmer brings to the organization, we can't be short sighted like a child and swap pieces like an eigth grader, armchair quarterback.

Archived