The Curious Case of Medvedev's Benching

Bakanekimiwa

I can only assume that means to say to Med, watch those guys play D and then DON'T play like that. 

Very very true...."see what Streit did right there? Don't do that...do the opposite!!"

"See how Schultz just stands there and let that forward screen the goaltender untouched?? Do do that lean on him and use your stick to at least lift his!"

"See Luke skate way over to the corner to make the check and interference call and leaving the net wide open?? Don't do that!"

Yes what better way to learn what not to do!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

manning.  at the time, there was no roster space for him, he'd been called up for a few games, but couldn't stick.  the idea was that he just wasn't getting the chance he needed, and his mobility and awareness had him on a shortlist of top dmen in the league, if only he were given the roster spot to prove it.

I'm not calling you a liar but man i have hard time believing someone here would saying that that is laughable....but i have seen some wild stuff here before i guess.

so...in other words...

Hakstol is just rotating his 7 d-men.

If it IS that simple... well, then.. I guess I'm disappointed. I dunno.. I like reason and logic behind decisions. Not just .. well, I said I was gonna rotate them, so that's what I'm doing. You know.. like Berube. 

@Bakanekimiwa

For what it's worth on the topic................

Well that's silly: Evgeny Medvedev to be healthy scratch vs. Canucks

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2015/11/2/9659882/well-thats-silly-evgeny-medvedev-to-be-healthy-scratch-vs-canucks

It's not as though Medvedev has been great, and he's clearly been worse in the last seven days than he had been in the first two weeks of the season. But the whole team has been pretty :poop emoji:, and he's still better than Schultz or Gudas or Manning by a considerable margin.

the Flyers are considerably better in both shots for and shots against while Schultz is off the ice. He's having a negative impact, and he's been the worst Flyers defenseman in terms of both shot generation and shot suppression at five-on-five.

That's kind of remarkable. It's equally as remarkable that Schultz is still on the ice tonight in Vancouver while Medvedev sits.

@hf101

Nothing surprises me anymore. Ok, MDV being benched surprised me a little. 

I'm not really surprised i just thought you would want the best 6 out there...and the top 2 in my book was #1 MDZ and #2 MDV and then i guess #3 Streit...

I'm not really surprised i just thought you would want the best 6 out there...and the top 2 in my book was #1 MDZ and #2 MDV and then i guess #3 Streit...

It's altogether strange to me. I feel like there's something else at play here that's not being admitted to. Possibly a concern for his ice time since he's not used to the NHL grind, but that would also assume they'll be making the playoffs and there's reason to conserve. So ok.. I've just talked my way out of that reason too. 

Or... maybe it is an Ockham's razor situation. Hak is pulling a Berube. 

Can anyone think of who has played better than medvedev? Streit has brought more offense but other than that, I think medvedev might be the best defensman to this point. He's the only one who can complete a pass out of the zone. He also skates better than half the team. This decision makes no sense.

Can anyone think of who has played better than medvedev? Streit has brought more offense but other than that, I think medvedev might be the best defensman to this point. He's the only one who can complete a pass out of the zone. He also skates better than half the team. This decision makes no sense.

Well, I would say that I think MDZ has been our best overall D man. TBH, I don't think Streit has been great... he's had some puck luck with finding the twine, IMO. But, that goal scoring is probably enough to make it very hard for him to be sat over anyone. MDZ has had the most ice time of any ... a hair more than Streit and his corsi is 2nd behind LSchenn. Again, LSchenn is on less than half the minutes of MDZ, so take that for what you will. 

I like MDZ but I still think MDV has been better.

I guess it's just one that we'll keep in mind moving forward. If these strange decisions pile up, and they arent winning, Hak could lose the fans pretty quickly.

I like MDZ but I still think MDV has been better.

I guess it's just one that we'll keep in mind moving forward. If these strange decisions pile up, and they arent winning, Hak could lose the fans pretty quickly.

#1-MDZ

#2-MDV

#3-Streit

#4-Schenn

#5-Gudas

#6-Schultz

#7-Manning

We can probably take the coach's words at face value.

from Carchidi's story:

“He’s been a little bit up and down, with and without the puck,” coach Dave Hakstol said. “For him coming out, in a lot of respects, it might be good for him to actually watch a game” and learn from what he sees.

Hakstol says it’s a “different game” in the NHL than Medvedev is used to playing.

“There’s smaller spaces. Things happen quicker in smaller spaces and that is an adjustment from the bigger rink that he has played on,” he said. “….Again, without the puck there is a lot of things that happen quick and he is working at and improving at and continues to move in that direction.

I don't think there's more to it than this. Hakstol wants Med to get an overview; it can do him some good if he uses the time wisely. Hopefully he's smart enough to concentrate on Edler and Hamhuis and maybe Sbisa (if he plays); he won't learn much from our crew :)

I don't think there's more to it than this.

I have no problem with this but seriously let's not stop with him....there isn't one guy on this blueline who couldn't use some watching from the press box time!

So eff it let them draw straws i guess on the road trip who gets to sit and watch.

Hakstol says it’s a “different game” in the NHL than Medvedev is used to playing.
“There’s smaller spaces. Things happen quicker in smaller spaces and that is an adjustment from the bigger rink that he has played on,” he said. “….Again, without the puck there is a lot of things that happen quick and he is working at and improving at and continues to move in that direction.”

for what its worth, hakstol is coming out the ncaa, where the ice is the same as the international game.  that quote is coming from a guy who is used to seeing the game on the big sheet himself, and knows exactly how different the game is versus what medvedev is used to.  which is to say, it might really be as simple as the quote makes it sound, take a game to watch and see how the whole thing plays out in the confined space.

for what its worth, hakstol is coming out the ncaa, where the ice is the same as the international game.  

Not necessarily true.  From the NCAA rule book:

1.2 Dimensions - As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200 feet long and 85 feet wide.

Some NCAA teams play on international size ice (200 X 100) but the majority do not.

1.2 Dimensions - As nearly as possible, the dimensions of the rink shall be 200 feet long and 85 feet wide.

Some NCAA teams play on international size ice (200 X 100) but the majority do not.

And North Dakota plays on 200 x 85 sized ice.

And North Dakota plays on 200 x 85 sized ice.

ah, wow, didn't know.  so...scratch what i said, and thank you for the education.  ;)

manning.  at the time, there was no roster space for him, he'd been called up for a few games, but couldn't stick.  the idea was that he just wasn't getting the chance he needed, and his mobility and awareness had him on a shortlist of top dmen in the league, if only he were given the roster spot to prove it.

are you sure you're not thinking of Gustafsson...who is now out of the league ?

Archived