Sticks

Podein25

Next to skates, the stick is the most important piece of equipment (ok, the athletic supporter or "jock strap" is also important  ;) ). 

I thought it would be good to have a thread where people can talk about the stick they are currently using, a great stick from the past, the evolution of sticks, etc.

The new composites, as everyone knows, are crazy light and crazy expensive. But I recently learned that they are not all equal. A little story...

I was using a mid-range priced stick - a Warrior. I probably spent about $125 on it a few years ago. I love the stick: it's been very durable and it serves my needs. It has a nice heel curve, very straight/flat at the tip, which I find useful for playing D. 

But it was time for a new stick. Being a cheap Winnipegger, I thought I'd look on Kijiji (this is like Craig'slist, for you Americans who may not be familiar with it). It seems like a crazy place to go to buy a hockey stick. And, while I have no problem buying used skates, the idea of a used hockey stick makes no sense.

But lo and behold I find a guy selling a top of the line Bauer stick - a pro stick, retails for about $300. It's uncut, unused, still in the wrapper. Price: "Please Contact." So I contact him. We negotiate a price. We meet. Turns out he's a pro hockey player who has about a dozen of these sticks that he can no longer use, because of contractual obligations to a different manufacturer.

I buy the stick, even though it has a Backstrom P92 toe curve that I don't really prefer. I cut it, tape it and go out for my first game. Warm ups. First shot: off the crossbar. I barely touched it. The puck literally explodes off the blade. 

I think it has changed my life.

I still use wooden sticks. My current one has a Statsny curve. I picked it because the only other choice was Crosby.

I figure I'll break a nice one way too easily. Besides, they hurt more when you whack a guy in the back of the knees.

Sherwood PMP 5030...an all time classic. 

Indeed. It brings back the memories. Clarkie used one, of course, so I did as well. This will horrify purists, but Sherwood has come out with a composite 5030 that looks like the classic but weighs 45 lbs less.

I had the pmp 5030 jr...when i was a kid , that thing is beat to hell, i was just at my parents house and came across it.

it was great on the pond and held up to years and years of good memories.

Indeed. It brings back the memories. Clarkie used one, of course, so I did as well. This will horrify purists, but Sherwood has come out with a composite 5030 that looks like the classic but weighs 45 lbs less.

I know several guys who use the Sherwood composite...looks awesome.

I only switched over from wood a few years ago. You can't help but appreciate the extra velocity on your shots. It's obviously obvious.

I too use the old Sherwood 5030 with an 85 flex. Love this stick. I used composite and never was a fan not because the material more the cost. I am scared to death to block or poke with it as I am too cheap to shell out $150+. I also have an Easton Aluminum stick that I was told never to return to the rink with..... bunch of pansies.

Anyhow, I learned on wood and have been teaching my kids with wood too. I just saw the stick down to their heights and let them beat the crap out of my furniture with it. 

When I first bought hockey sticks, there was no left or right.  The bottom of the blades would eventually splinter, and sometimes you could peel or shave that bottom off.  The resultant thinner blades were more flexible.  A company from Scandinavia sold some sticks that were manufactured from a single piece of wood.  I was involved with a group that sent some US and Canadian kids to the Soviet Union in about 1970.  When the kids came back, one constant remark I heard from them was that a stick had to be a toothpick before the Soviets considered it "broken".  

If I was young, I'd choose a composite stick.

But, I think that all kids should learn with a wooden stick.  It's better for their development.  And, it would lower the cost of playing hockey.

When I first bought hockey sticks, there was no left or right.  The bottom of the blades would eventually splinter, and sometimes you could peel or shave that bottom off.  The resultant thinner blades were more flexible.  A company from Scandinavia sold some sticks that were manufactured from a single piece of wood.  I was involved with a group that sent some US and Canadian kids to the Soviet Union in about 1970.  When the kids came back, one constant remark I heard from them was that a stick had to be a toothpick before the Soviets considered it "broken".  

If I was young, I'd choose a composite stick.

But, I think that all kids should learn with a wooden stick.  It's better for their development.  And, it would lower the cost of playing hockey.

A kid doesn't need a composite stick at least until they can get a good shot off. I think you feel the puck better with wood. 

And yes I meant puck.

@Bertmega

It's funny, for all the exploding sticks I've seen happen to others I've never had a composite break on me. 

I gotta start slashing more.

Slashing is much more intimate when you have an old Easton Aluminium stick. I think I am going to try slipping it back in this Friday. 

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: On use of the Bauer MX3 Total One P92 Flex 95 Mid-kick after 6 games...

4 goals, 3 of them of the "sniping cheddar" kind. Also" 2 posts, 1 crossbar, and one beauty toe-drag

Like I said: life-changing

Starting kids with a wooden stick is a good idea depending on the size and strength of the kid.  Really small kids should have a 'kids' stick. Cutting down an adult stick gives them a shaft which may be too large and too heavy and will start the kid at a disadvantage. Also note that if you do cut down an adults stick, you should consider cutting something off of the blade as well to maintain some balance. Common sense is a good guide here.;)

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

UPDATE: On use of the Bauer MX3 Total One P92 Flex 95 Mid-kick after 6 games...

4 goals, 3 of them of the "sniping cheddar" kind. Also" 2 posts, 1 crossbar, and one beauty toe-drag

Like I said: life-changing

Yeah, but how are your slashes and cross-checks?

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Yeah, but how are your slashes and cross-checks?

Down! Can't afford to break the magic stick. Also, slashes are an automatic 4 min. penalty (even when it's a love tap. Dumb rule). It's way better to just hit someone (2 min.) or, when things get out of hand, punch them in the face (only 2 min.!). It's a funny thing about younger players (by this I mean <30 years of age): they use their stick all the time when mad and expect it in return. They always seem surprised when you punch them in the face! 

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Young kids in our league are all uppity.

Same. And some really bad douchebag behavior. They lack respect for the game IMHO. Not all, but many. Not knowing where they are from or what organized hockey they've played, it's hard to understand where it comes from, but it seems like it may be generational. Or, just that I'm getting old.

Archived