Gudas vs Coburn

brelic

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

This is an interesting idea, and one which I hadn't considered. Well, we can figure this one out pretty easily.

Miss%    Block%

Before Inury    28.0        21.7

After Injury      23.3        33.2

It's a mixed bag. Since the eye injury, Coburn hits the net more often on unblocked shots, but there really was a big decrease in the numbers of shots he was able to get through defenders. We can't say for certain if it's because his vision in some way impaired, but it's a noticeable enough difference to suggest that it's possible.

Maybe he still suffers from CTE!! 

• hf101 featured this topic

Coburn was a bum. Sorry, but someone had to say it. Million dollar talent, ten cent brain. Had all the physical tools in the world to be an elite number one defenseman, but didn't have the brain to put it all together. Every year, people kept waiting and waiting and waiting for him to put it together, but it just never happened. I thought at one time there was a chance he would be an elite defenseman back in 07-08, but after the puck hit him in the face in the playoff series against the Pens, he digressed and became a shell of what he could be. He never recovered from that incident and it's too bad because he could have been a 40+ point per season, 25 minute a night guy. 

• Like 3

• The Flyers' top pairing has been obvious for quite a while now - Michael Del Zottoand Radko Gudas have staked out a convincing claim for the job. Both players were afterthoughts for their previous teams, as Nashville chose to not qualify MDZ as a restricted free agent, and Gudas was basically a throw-in piece in the Braydon Coburn trade. Somehow, the Flyers have turned these misfit toys into a top pairing, and against all odds, they've been very effective. Going into yesterday's game, they had posted a 56.5% Corsi For percentage together, and that only went up after both members of the pairing finished over 65% against New York.

Nice reclamation project line.:biggrin:

• Like 2

On 1/8/2016 at 9:11 AM, King Knut said:

Who ever billed him as that?  That's like saying Timmo was billed as a porch clearing physical D man.  

That was never what Coburn was and the fact that anyone here thinks he was "billed" as such really indicates the real problem.  

He was pushed into something like that role after Pronger got hurt, Carle wasn't resigned and even more so when Timmo got hurt.  That role, plus just about everything else Pronger did...whichCoburn was woefully incapable of doing.  

What Coburn was good at was being a compliment to Timmo.  Coburn isn't and never was a puck mover.  he was a strong position based D man who was fairly mobile for his size.  He wasn't even really a porch clearing kind of guy, but he was decent at canceling players out on the transition, which was what Stevens' teams were built around and much of what Cooper's team is built around in Tampa.   The minute Lavvy took over, Coburn's role became slighyly more ambiguous.  Then by the time everyone above him was gone and Berube was in charge, Coburn who was really a #4 guy was thrust into a #1 role and we all hated him for "being bad".  He wasn't bad.  He wasn't playing his game.  The team was bad.  

His addition to Tampa in a classical #4 spot was exactly what both he and Tampa needed. It enabled them to play Hedman and Stralman together as a top pairing which would take the monster minutes.  Coburn, now asked to play 16-17 minutes per game instead of 22-23 and on 2nd special team units (if that) instead of first, enabled the top pairing to be better and on the ice together more and was able to step up his own play as a result of his appropriate situational use.

It's kind of a no brainer.  He didn't work here any more because the total team D stunk and couldn't use him in a way effective for his skillset anymore.  Tampa could.  It's that simple.  You can't have an effective #2 or #4 D man when you have no effective #1 or #3.  

I don't want him back.  I don't miss him.  It was a great trade at a perfect time for both sides.  I just think it's silly for us to sit here and say he stunk.  Really comes across as naive at best.  

You took the puck right out of my mouth.

Coburn was never a number one, though angry Coburn was a joy to watch. If he had kept that edge I gurrrantee! he would by a Philly favorite....here's hoping that Morin takes this torch and runs with it.

Coburn is a true coulda shoulda woulda guy...had his face not been smashed who knows what kind of player he winds up being. To that point he was really coming into his own, played with enough edge to satisfy the philly crowd, he skated beautifully and had some offensive instincts. It's tough to have seen the potential, know the ability is there and then only see glimpses of it after that series with the Pens. when he was angry Coburn all the things came together, but "he" didn't show up enough. I can see where people thought he was a top pairing guy on the rise...but the face smashing derailed that, and the "brain trust" didn't want to move on because, damn watch the guy skate...

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

played with enough edge to satisfy the philly crowd

That's not really true. Only after dozens of pokes with a sharp stick did Coburn ever really show that side. And there seemed to be a paucity of sharp sticks, 'cause he rarely did. 

3 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

he skated beautifully and had some offensive instincts.

The first part is true, the second untrue (except insofar as skating does tend to move the puck up the ice). After the blue line was breeched by Coburn he hadn't a hot clue what to do with the puck. Not a clue. 

I liked Coburn.

We paid pennies on the dollar to get him. He played a long time for the Flyers, good at times, out of his talent level at others. We traded him off for a great prospect who should be a fan favourite for the next decade.

What's not to like about that?

• Like 3

@Podein25

pre face smash Coburn is a little hazy in my memory

I do remember him fondly and as a "future is bright" piece.  His game took huge steps backwards after his face smashing.  It is possible i'm gilding the lily here and not remembering him correctly.

He was the top prospect in the Atlanta system, highly touted as a top pairing guy,  he was the more physical player in terms of hitting when he was paired with Timonen.  I don't really remember his offensive game prior to face smash ..I do not dispute post face smash Coburn as having a 10 cent brain and poor to no offensive instincts nor do i dispute post face smash Coburn as being a relatively soft player.

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

His game took huge steps backwards after his face smashing.

I agree on this in general. But he never had any offensive instincts prior to injury - (or ever probably). That didn't stop him from making the NHL and being a top prospect. Big mobile D-men will always have value (see Bouwmeester, Jay).  He might have been more physical before the concussion. Maybe a bit. Debatable though.