Phaneuf to Ottawa

RJ8812

Sens get Phaneuf, Frattin, Bailey, Rupert and Donaghey in exchange for Cowen, Greening, Michalek, Lindberg and 2nd-rounder in 2017.

Toronto basically gives Phaneuf away for nothing, which I guess they just wanted to get rid of his contract

no salary retain anywhere either 

The Sens will have to see which Dion Phaneuf they get in the deal...

Phaneuf with Jake Gardiner: 50% GF, 53% Corsi, 57% Corsi Against

Phaneuf without Gardiner: 28% GF,  47% Corsi, 64% Corsi Against

My money is on the one that they'll regret trading for; the one that doesn't get to play with Jake Gardiner. Nice trade for Toronto.

14 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

The Sens will have to see which Dion Phaneuf they get in the deal...

Phaneuf with Jake Gardiner: 50% GF, 53% Corsi, 57% Corsi Against

Phaneuf without Gardiner: 28% GF,  47% Corsi, 64% Corsi Against

My money is on the one that they'll regret trading for; the one that doesn't get to play with Jake Gardiner. Nice trade for Toronto.

Ya but Phaneuf won't have to be THE GUY in Ottawa. He's a solid #2/3 and thats where he'll be with the Sens 

27 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Blupuk, YOU didn't get anything, the Leaf organization got Greening and a pick for Phaneuf and some scraps. Cowen may develop, may not. I'm sure Phaneuf will be on his way west before I finish typing this.

And Michalek, who is okay at least.

14 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Ya but Phaneuf won't have to be THE GUY in Ottawa. He's a solid #2/3 and thats where he'll be with the Sens 

For me, that's faint praise for a man who carries a $7M AAV thru 2021. That the Leafs were able to move him without retaining a penny in salary is strong work from Toronto.

Just now, JR Ewing said:

For me, that's faint praise for a man who carries a $7M AAV thru 2021. That the Leafs were able to move him without retaining a penny in salary is strong work from Toronto.

He is overpaid, but he should fit in better with Ottawa

Got rid of the contract which makes this a win for the Leafs. IF Ottawa keeps him, it gives them a nice piece to go with a young inexperienced defense (other than Karlsson) as they hope to make a run. But as others have mentioned, it may be part of a bigger deal.

I'm guessing Phaneuf isn't a Lou Shanahan type of player, eh?

Trading your captain two years into a seven-year deal?

Homeriffic!

Phaneuf also has a modified NTC so he approved going to Ottawa.

Maybe now he'll smile in his team photo?

54 minutes ago, MadDevil said:

Gotta clear the decks for the insane contract they're going to give Stamkos.

My first thought!!

If you had said before the season the Leafs:

Would get rid of Kessel

Add Babs

Add a front office that seems to have a plan rather than just throwing a dart

Got rid of Phaneuf

Positioned themselves for a run at Stamkos

I would have said no way. I don't care about the record, best season for Toronto in a loooooonng time.

8 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Wow! I'm shocked! 

I don't really know any of the players we got, but it does look like they didn't place much value on Dion....

The trade was basically this........

WE will give you Phaneuf. In exchange, YOU will find a way to be okay with it.   :thumbsu:

8 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Wow! I'm shocked!

I don't really know any of the players we got, but it does look like they didn't place much value on Dion....

the players you got back.....

Michalek is a winger who can score a little but father time is catching up. injured right now, I bet he is dealt before the deadline.

Greening is a winger with a bad work ethic but decent talent. Sent to Birminham to shape up instead he sulked his way out of Ottawa. talented tho, Babs may find something.

Cowen was the 9th pick in the draft in 2009 and still trying to get established. a hard hitting stay at home d-man with ZERO offensive ability.

the big thing you got was out from under 5 more years of a bad contract. good deal.

Archived