Game #56 - Flyers at Devils - Feb 16 2016 - 7:00 ET

OccamsRazor

celebration nhl hockey 2014 stanley cup playoffs flyers

Key team stat comparisons (NHL overall ranking)

Non-shootout goals per game: Flyers 2.35 (28th), Devils 2.19 (30th)
Non-shootout goals against per game: Flyers 2.60 (14th), Devils 2.18 (1st)
5-on-5 Goals For/Against Ratio: Flyers 80/82, Devils 71/77
Power play efficiency: Flyers 17.9% (T-20th), Devils 21.5% (6th)
Penalty killing efficiency: Flyers 78.4% (25th), Devils 82.9% (8th)
Shots per game: Flyers 30.2 (T-13th), Devils 24.5 (30th)
Shots against per game: Flyers 32.2 (29th), Devils 28.8 (9th)
Faceoff percentage: Flyers 50.3% (T-11th), Devils 46.7% (29th)

Projected lineups (subject to change, will be updated)

Flyers

93 Jakub Voracek - 28 Claude Giroux - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 52 Nick Cousins - 10 Brayden Schenn
76 Chris VandeVelde - 78 Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - 25 Ryan White 
24 Matt Read - 21 Scott Laughton - 20 R.J. Umberger

47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
55 Nick Schultz - 32 Mark Streit
82 Evgeny Medvedev - 3 Radko Gudas

30 Michal Neuvirth / 35 Steve Mason

Scratches: Brandon Manning (healthy), Sam Gagner (healthy), Jordan Weal (healthy), Sean Couturier (IR, lower body). Michael Del Zotto (IR, upper body).

Devils

64 Joseph Blandisi - 14 Adam Henrique - 20 Lee Stempniak
51 Sergey Kalinin - 19 Travis Zajac - 21 Kyle Palmieri
12 Reid Boucher - 16 Jacob Josefson - 48 Tyler Kennedy
23 Bobby Farnham - 11 Stephen Gionta - 22 Jordin Tootoo

6 Andy Greene - 5 Adam Larsson
39 - Seth Helgeson- 8 David Schlemko
28 Damon Severson - 2 John Moore

35 Cory Schneider
[1 Keith Kinkaid]

Scratches: Eric Gelinas (healthy), Tuomo Ruutu (healthy), Jon Merrill (arm), Stefan Matteau (facial cuts), Mike Cammalleri (IR, hand), Jiri Tlusty (IR, wrist surgery), Patrik Elias (IR, knee surgery), Ryane Clowe (LTIR, post-concussion syndrome).

Sorry but i have to admit with the playoff implications...like if they want to actually be in them i am going to call this a must win tonight....because IMHO i think it is...they have a back to back coming next that they must win too....but first things 1st. Flyers must win tonight. And since Mason has never beat the Devils i would agree to start Neuvy. I'd love to see Weal in over RJ but he is a fav of Hak's and can do no wrong....oh i forget he does the little things right.

GO FLYERS!!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carchidi in the Inquirer pegged it about the line changes last night, suggesting he almost had to shuffle. But I wonder if this is an effort at really making a difference or showing he can try to make a difference. Candidly, I don't think the bottom lines really have the juice.  The question may be whether he breaks up the first line to try and balance the mediocre talent below.  

Between the lines:

1) Is Weal being given a chance to show his value?

2) Has Laughton shown what value he has?

3) Is Umberger a predictable larger body in a small line up?

4)  Is the absence of a call up tell us the brass sees this as a right off season and Hakstol is really just rearranging a non-playoff team?  

I have to agree with Sarah Baicker and others' that the performance over the last five games has probably been the death knell of limited playoff hopes. Now the question is survival with some dignity and possibly having some call ups after trades when there's room without healthy scratches.  Six or eight minutes of ice team for a few games may not be worth the call up.

I think we know the score at this stage.  Without a bad night on the part of the opponent (I saw Nashville play like Nashville against the Panthers two nights after we thumped them) and a stand-on-head goalie performance, I see limited chances for us winning while averaging under two goals scoring and having a dormant power play.  Per other comments here, Sunday's game against the Rags was actually pretty boring to watch, and an opposing coach has to be happy when a third liner takes the leading scorer off the ice.  Sorry for being so fatalistic but me thinks this season is pretty much a write-down and I do not want to see one the few good players we have risk permanent injury (seeing Simmonds' cut reminded me of Parent's end) for the sake of "Flyers Hockey."

Best,

Howie

1 hour ago, JagerMeister said:

I would NJD`s superior defense is more significant then your offensive gap over the Devils, but anyone could win here. IMO it will be which goalie outperforms the other that will determine this game.

Well it will help if Hak minimizes Streit and Schultz starting in their zone....those two bone heads couldn't guess which way an elevator was going even if they had 3 guesses...

2 hours ago, JagerMeister said:

Brace yourselves folks, all of you will be falling asleep early tonight...

I hope not, but, you're probably right.  At least this is the last game with the Devils. 

I'm on board with you OC that this is a must win if they are to make the PO.

Gudas is becoming a liability.  McDonald should stay on the farm.  The game has been played in our zone.  We are lucky to be down by a goal through the first.  I am debating whether to finish watching the game or doing something productive.

25 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Gudas is becoming a liability.

Yep. That last one was a rinaldo level reputation call. All a player has to do is act like they have been shot near Gudas and the refs are taking him out of the game.

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/radko-gudas-with-one-of-those-hits?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Refs should be ashamed of that call........

1 minute ago, Howie58 said:

What bothers me  about the Gudas play is how unessential it was. Why bother hitting someone way behind the play.  We don't need a neanderthal. 

Howie

I added the clip above but will do it here too....who skated into who?

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comments/radko-gudas-with-one-of-those-hits?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

And like Rinaldo, he seems to lack any discipline.  I just don't get it.  He has to know that he's in the cross hairs now.  Why is he crossing players behind the play, who already have a flyer right on them?  I wish he'd wake up because unlike Rinaldo, Gudas has some uses.  But if I'm Hak, he's riding the pine until he does because he's hurting the team right now on a nightly basis. 

Here is another replay:

http://www.usanews.today/us-news/sports-news/flyers-defenseman-radko-gudas-ejected-again-for-hit-to-the-head/

This looks like someone trying to nonchalantly hit someone in the head thinking a shrug of the shoulder will not be seen by the officials. Again, whatever "it" is, it's behind the play.  

They seem to be better without him.  

Howie

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Here is another replay:

http://www.usanews.today/us-news/sports-news/flyers-defenseman-radko-gudas-ejected-again-for-hit-to-the-head/

This looks like someone trying to nonchalantly hit someone in the head thinking a shrug of the shoulder will not be seen by the officials. Again, whatever "it" is, it's behind the play.  

They seem to be better without him.  

Howie

I still see Farnham watching Gudas the whole way then flopping. Gudas does not alter his path or even appear to raise his shoulder.

Archived