Orpik on Maatta

nossagog

Orpik on Maata  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How many Games for Orpik?

• 5 or more

Pretty bad hit.   Will have to see better views, but it looks like a direct elbow to the head well after the puck is gone.  My guess it Maatta is done for the series/season after that, he's already had a concussion this year.   Watching the game live, I can't believe that Orpik was complaining to the ref about the call.   He's lucky that he didn't get the boot for the game.  

Disgusting.  This league is a joke.  If Wilson gets nothing AND Orpik gets nothing, my head will explode.

I hated having Rinaldo on this team.  Players like him, Wilson, Kaletta, etc.... they don't belong in the NHL.  

Barry Trotz on the hit:

The play happens, there’s a shot and rebound, and Brooks thought it was coming back to Maatta,” Trotz said. “Then he hits him and the puck’s not there, but his intention, with the way the puck was shot, it looked like there was a rebound and he thought it was coming back over there. He just finished on the hit and there’s a little size difference, and I think Maatta was leaning over a bit.

“I’ll let the league handle it. If you know anything about Brooks, he plays hard and he plays clean. He’s not a dirty player. The Pittsburgh people know that. He plays the game hard and the right way. Whatever the league decides, we’ll just deal.”

Should have just said it was a tough play, and we'll let the league handle it.  What drivel. Really.  Thought there was a rebound, duh, there was a shot.  Thought it was coming back to Maatta, why, how could he tell because he NEVER even looked to where the puck went.  Finished the hit, okay, right.   Then goes on to blame the size difference and Maatta leaning.

So, according to Trotz,

1) He was finishing the hit, so it was not late

2) But that doesn't matter because Orpik "thought" the rebound was coming back to Maata

3) Oh, and he's smaller and leaning over.   So really the chicken wing elbow should have probably hit him in the chest I guess.

Someone should have pulled the plug on the mic in the middle of that, like the scene from Forrest Gump, and just ended with "And that all I'm going to say on that".

A cheap shot for sure.  Brayden Schenn got 3 games for a hit not injuring Oshie, the league needs to match this and give Orpik 3 games.  The only way to remove these types of head shots is to penalize them.  I can't believe Orpik didn't get a game for that.  

The refs have given game misconducts in these playoffs for much less, including 3 on one play.  :ermm:

22 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Barry Trotz on the hit:

Should have just said it was a tough play, and we'll let the league handle it.  What drivel. Really.  Thought there was a rebound, duh, there was a shot.  Thought it was coming back to Maatta, why, how could he tell because he NEVER even looked to where the puck went.  Finished the hit, okay, right.   Then goes on to blame the size difference and Maatta leaning.

So, according to Trotz,

1) He was finishing the hit, so it was not late

2) But that doesn't matter because Orpik "thought" the rebound was coming back to Maata

3) Oh, and he's smaller and leaning over.   So really the chicken wing elbow should have probably hit him in the chest I guess.

Someone should have pulled the plug on the mic in the middle of that, like the scene from Forrest Gump, and just ended with "And that all I'm going to say on that".

Sounds like James Neals bs "I jumped into his head to try and miss him". 

17 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Or Wilson's "I was just trying to intimate him and accidently kneed him because I thought he'd avoid me?"

By the way, I didn't vote because I don't see $2,437 fine for possible ending a players season.

12 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Or Wilson's "I was just trying to intimate him and accidently kneed him because I thought he'd avoid me?"

By the way, I didn't vote because I don't see $2,437 fine for possible ending a players season.

Wilson is an idiot...he's out there solely trying to hurt players.

I'm no Brooks Orpik fan, that said that looks like an unfortunate result to me.  It looks like 44 is going for a hit, "finishing his check" which evidently is something that every player in the league does.  I don't think the intent to elbow Maata in his head is there, but that is the result . I think he should at least get a game  because, the primary point of contact is Maata's head and, he took a penalty for it, so he should receive justifiable secondary discipline.

That's a bad hit , an unfortunate hit, the kind of hit that the league doesn't like to see.  I just don't see how with the speed of the game and the fact that it is a contact sport that hit ever "goes away"

If Orpik gets off because of another bs story (I thought the puck was coming to him) then declare open season on Holtby (I thought he was out of the crease) and Backstrom (I thought...I don't know, make up something)

6 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I'm no Brooks Orpik fan, that said that looks like an unfortunate result to me.  It looks like 44 is going for a hit, "finishing his check" which evidently is something that every player in the league does.  I don't think the intent to elbow Maata in his head is there, but that is the result . I think he should at least get a game  because, the primary point of contact is Maata's head and, he took a penalty for it, so he should receive justifiable secondary discipline.

That's a bad hit , an unfortunate hit, the kind of hit that the league doesn't like to see.  I just don't see how with the speed of the game and the fact that it is a contact sport that hit ever "goes away"

Mojo, I never want to see hitting taken out of the game.  Look at the hits on Crosby and Malkin last night in transition.  Greats hits, and totally legal.  Sure keep those.   But there was nothing in the orpik hit that was a normal hockey play, and the "finishing the check" line is a load of BS.  Maatta releases the puck at the top of the face off circle, Orpik changes direction to hit him at the bottom of the face off circle, that's 30 feet from where he shot the puck.  The "speed of the game" line does not wash, this was not bangbang.

1 minute ago, nossagog said:

Mojo, I never want to see hitting taken out of the game.  Look at the hits on Crosby and Malkin last night in transition.  Greats hits, and totally legal.  Sure keep those.   But there was nothing in the orpik hit that was a normal hockey play, and the "finishing the check" line is a load of BS.  Maatta releases the puck at the top of the face off circle, Orpik changes direction to hit him at the bottom of the face off circle, that's 30 feet from where he shot the puck.  The "speed of the game" line does not wash, this was not bangbang.

let me watch it again then,  at full speed it looks like a hockey play to me.  i'll watch it again though with what you're saying here in mind. 

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Just another Penguin flopping on the ice like a wuss.  Nothing to see here. Move on. 

Come on Rux, Penguins do NOT flop, they horizontally waddle.

Primary impact is forearm to the head.  I love Orpik. The guy was at my house and great with my kids.  I don't want to believe the intent was there.  But the end result is the issue.  I voted two but could see 2-3 games for that.  

Im just glad he wasn't ejected.  After all he's the guy Fehr beat to the slot for the second goal... 

3 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

Primary impact is forearm to the head.  I love Orpik. The guy was at my house and great with my kids.  I don't want to believe the intent was there.  But the end result is the issue.  I voted two but could see 2-3 games for that.  

Im just glad he wasn't ejected.  After all he's the guy Fehr beat to the slot for the second goal... 

Orpik was out of control though.  Look at the punch he threw when the Pens were on the PP in the second that hit Letang square in the face. There is no place for that kind of stuff, going for people's head is NOT good. What if he'd knocked out Letang too(and no penalty was called)

@nossagog

it's a bad hit,  Maata does turn into the center of the ice as if to get a rebound, so i can see where the Trotz is coming from,   I truly don't think the intent to knock Maata unconscious was there.  I just don't see it like that. I can see where you could though.  the hit is late from the shot,  and he hits him square on the noggin with his elbow/forearm.  it is a bad hit.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@nossagog

it's a bad hit,  Maata does turn into the center of the ice as if to get a rebound, so i can see where the Trotz is coming from,   I truly don't think the intent to knock Maata unconscious was there.  I just don't see it like that. I can see where you could though.  the hit is late from the shot,  and he hits him square on the noggin with his elbow/forearm.  it is a bad hit.

The scary part was when he hit the ice and his hands were still in the air like he was holding the stick, I think he's definitely concussed.  ANYTIME you get your arms out like Orpik did, its a bad thing.

Sure, he probably was thinking oh itshay, he's pulling up and going to get right by me(like everyone else does, but he's even slower), I have to get a piece of him. But you don't stick out your arm/elbow like that.   I'll give him benefit there, but again, you don't do that by throwing out a forearm or elbow. 

4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'm just glad Orpik isn't gloating about his hit by claiming it "changed the game". 

Thoughts...

Orpik should get at least two but considering it's the post-season I'll go with 1. Plenty of precedent for that.  I won't be shocked if he gets off. (Oh wait - yes I will. The league only screws the Flyers).

I like Maatta and hope he's OK but he's not been healthy/good all year.  Not a conincidence.  Let him sit and recover (they may not have a choice anyway) and slide Schultz in there.  Won't mis a beat.  Likely will be better.  Let Ollie come back 100% next year.

As much as Trotz is full of shite, I can't get upset over it.  When was the last time a player delivered a cheap shot and that player (or player's coach) came out and said "Yeah - I was a dirty f--- on that play,  I deserve 2 games."  We shouldn't be acting surprised by the BS defense stories. It's the second round of the playoffs.  Coaches want their guys to play no matter what they did.

5 hours ago, nossagog said:

Orpik was out of control though.  Look at the punch he threw when the Pens were on the PP in the second that hit Letang square in the face. There is no place for that kind of stuff, going for people's head is NOT good. What if he'd knocked out Letang too(and no penalty was called)

I agree... I was surprised the punch wasn't called.  I have to assume it wasn't seen though rather than overlooked as it was pretty bad.  

4 hours ago, B21 said:

Thoughts...

Orpik should get at least two but considering it's the post-season I'll go with 1. Plenty of precedent for that.  I won't be shocked if he gets off. (Oh wait - yes I will. The league only screws the Flyers).

I like Maatta and hope he's OK but he's not been healthy/good all year.  Not a conincidence.  Let him sit and recover (they may not have a choice anyway) and slide Schultz in there.  Won't mis a beat.  Likely will be better.  Let Ollie come back 100% next year.

As much as Trotz is full of shite, I can't get upset over it.  When was the last time a player delivered a cheap shot and that player (or player's coach) came out and said "Yeah - I was a dirty f--- on that play,  I deserve 2 games."  We shouldn't be acting surprised by the BS defense stories. It's the second round of the playoffs.  Coaches want their guys to play no matter what they did.

Move wanted Schutlz to replace Lovejoy the whole playoffs.  He'll get a chance to shine now . 

Archived