Letang hit on Johansson

hf101

Is the Letang hit on Johansson worth a Suspension?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. How many games for Kris Letang?

• Fine only
    • 1 game
    • 2 games
    • 3 games

Letang didn't have to make this play imo and now he may sit a game, and thinking about this he didn't serve a suspension for the slash to the neck of Stalberg.

What are your thoughts, Should Letang be suspended?

l0K4pjIQYu07stkMo.gif

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

Letang didn't have to make this play imo and now he may sit a game, and thinking about this he didn't serve a suspension for the slash to the neck of Stalberg.

What are your thoughts, Should Letang be suspended?

l0K4pjIQYu07stkMo.gif

It's the Pens man....so Johansson will get one game for headbutting Lehtang's shoulder if not more!!!:56ce4e56dc2e8_HighFiveSmileys:

I clicked fine since "no discipline" wasn't an option.  It was late which is a penalty which was called.  The point of impact wasn't the head - it was the chest. It was just below the head but it was't to the head. His arm stays down and tucked in.  The pure physics of the hit show it is not a head shot. 

2:00.  Nothing more. I guess I could live with a fine.  Anything more is the NHL overreacting.

i missed this last night, i would like to see it real time...

the hit looks super late in the gif so i'm guessing is was less so at game speed.  Looks to me like he does hit Johannson in the head with his shoulder...is that after shoulder to shoulder contact first ? very tough for me to tell looking at the gifs.  It is a hit that every player takes when given the opportunity, I would not be surprised to see no extra discipline, i would be surprised if he were to get more than game.  It looks like hockey to me, It doesn't look worse to me than Orpik on Maata . I mean it's late and probably not necessary but.....  I don't know, this series is starting to feel like the team that loses the fewest players will win.  Lots of ugliness going around. It's been pretty entertaining actually. 

34 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

i missed this last night, i would like to see it real time...

the hit looks super late in the gif so i'm guessing is was less so at game speed.  Looks to me like he does hit Johannson in the head with his shoulder...is that after shoulder to shoulder contact first ? very tough for me to tell looking at the gifs.  It is a hit that every player takes when given the opportunity, I would not be surprised to see no extra discipline, i would be surprised if he were to get more than game.  It looks like hockey to me, It doesn't look worse to me than Orpik on Maata . I mean it's late and probably not necessary but.....  I don't know, this series is starting to feel like the team that loses the fewest players will win.  Lots of ugliness going around. It's been pretty entertaining actually. 

Not a really super late hit, but the main two things that stick out to me is his shoulder goes up to his chin and jaw and Letang also leaves his feet briefly to deliver the hit.

Update: Letang gets a Player Safety hearing.

https://www.nhl.com/news/kris-letang-to-have-player-safety-hearing/c-280547246?tid=280202750

"The following grounds are being considered for supplemental discipline: interference. However, the Department of Player Safety retains the right to make adjustments to the infraction upon review."

I think it all comes down to...was there contact with the head?  If so, was it the principal point of contact/clearly targeted?  If the answer is no to either I don't see how a suspension is warranted.  Not every late hit is suspension-worthy.  That is why there are penalties.

IMHO at most a fine but even that is iffy. Johansson was skating bent at the waist, Letang never left his feet I actually think it was a clean but brutal hit. This aint baseball.

22 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

IMHO at most a fine but even that is iffy. Johansson was skating bent at the waist, Letang never left his feet I actually think it was a clean but brutal hit. This aint baseball.

He was not bent over when the contact to his chin was made. far from it. Letang did not jump way up in the air, but his skates did leave the ice and his shoulder went right into the chin and jaw of Johansson. There was no injury so I think he will get 1 game.

One game it is.    

https://www.nhl.com/video/kris-letang-suspended-1-game/t-277440360/c-43830303

They've boxed themselves with this one.  Not charging, not a head shot.    Interference because it was late(but not quantifying) and had significant head contact.   Get your tape players and stop watches out for the rest of the post season all. 

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

One game it is.    

They've boxed themselves with this one.  Not charging, not a head shot.    Interference because it was late(but not quantifying) and had significant head contact.   Get your tape players and stop watches out for the rest of the post season all. 

I think that is fair. I think most Capitals fans will be in an uproar because Orpik got 3 games, but we should all be used to this by now because we are dealing with the NHL Judges.

1 hour ago, nossagog said:

One game it is.    

So much for the league only screwing the Flyers. :cool[1]:  That should have been 2:00 minutes. Nothing more.  Here's hoping the Caps shot their load with that Game 3 effort.

12 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

The DOPS should really change their name to DOPES.

I've already registered the "NHL DiPShits" domain in case you were wondering, I think it sings. (Dept of inconsistant player safety hits). Okay, I left out the o, so fine me. 

11 minutes ago, nossagog said:

I've already registered the "NHL DiPShits" domain in case you were wondering, I think it sings. (Dept of inconsistant player safety hits). Okay, I left out the o, so fine me. 

They would give you a 5 game suspension for that, but the next person to leave out the o will only get a slap on the wrist.

39 minutes ago, Holtbeast said:

They would give you a 5 game suspension for that, but the next person to leave out the o will only get a slap on the wrist.

No, sorry Holtbeast, but since I have never be before the DiPShit's before I have no prior history so there would only be a maximum fine of the cost of one Guiness, which I will gladly donate to the players fund.

8 minutes ago, nossagog said:

No, sorry Holtbeast, but since I have never be before the DiPShit's before I have no prior history so there would only be a maximum fine of the cost of one Guiness, which I will gladly donate to the players fund.

Is that just 1 Guinness or a case of Guinness? :)

I dunno.  Looked to me like a check made in the space of a step or two.  If I was the official, I wouldn't have made a call.  But, in today's hockey, with the emphasis on protecting head injuries, I think the game suspension is appropriate,  

Sometimes, the message is the most important thing.

59 minutes ago, blocker said:

I dunno.  Looked to me like a check made in the space of a step or two.  If I was the official, I wouldn't have made a call.  But, in today's hockey, with the emphasis on protecting head injuries, I think the game suspension is appropriate,  

Sometimes, the message is the most important thing.

Until that message becomes "don't hit anybody because it could result in their head hitting something and even though the two minute minor is appropriate we're going to suspend you because the other coach went to the Tortorella school for whiny birches". 

This is good for Washington because Pitt's defense is a mess without Letang.  So they should win game 4.  Maatta is already out.  So that leaves Daley, Cole, Dumolin, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Schultz.  

18 hours ago, Holtbeast said:

I'll go with one days worth, since we are talking about the DiPShits, then I'll just leave that as ambiguous as possible.

58 minutes ago, swflyers28 said:

This is good for Washington because Pitt's defense is a mess without Letang.  So they should win game 4.  Maatta is already out.  So that leaves Daley, Cole, Dumolin, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Schultz.  

Yeah, I can see the Caps trying to do everything in their power to put a lot of fore check pressure on the defense.  Get the puck out fast will be the key for the Pens tonight.  Even the set breakouts I think the Caps will try to press.

Archived