2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

pilldoc

2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks  

27 members have voted

1. 1. 2016 Stanley Cup Finals: Metro (#2) Pittsburgh Penguins vs Pacific (#3) San Jose Sharks

• Penguins in 4 (sweep)
    • Penguins in 5
    • Penguins in 6
    • Penguins in 7
    • Sharks in 4 (sweep)
    • Sharks in 5
    • Sharks in 6
    • Sharks in 7

39 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Its a huge case of schottenfrede Polaris. They can only take pleasure  in the pain of others(especially the Pens).  Its okay, they live in Philly, what else do they have to take pleasure in?

Schadenfreude?

haha. Not trying to be a grammar nazi. It is one of my favorite words. Always think of Moleman on the simpsons falling down the stairs during the Bart vs Lisa Hockey game and the whole crowd pointing and laughing

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Usually they do. The Sharks tend to reserve their smashmouth type games for smashmouth type teams(LA and the Blues). If you play the sharks clean and skilled, they tend to play you clean and skilled. The forecheck hitting might increase if they feel a worn down opponent or defensive pair, but that is true for anyone.

How the lines match up will be intriguing to me. Whoever gets matched vs the Thornton/Pavelski/Hertl line will spend a lot of the game hemmed in their own zone. Couture's line with Donskoi and perhaps Marleau will be a more traditional shutdown line, if Marleau plays there. He was only moved there to wing mid Preds series because they loaded their top 6. Previously in the kings series, he was 3rd line C and Tierney their 4th line C. The shuffle was a good kick in the butt for us. Tierney did pretty darn well with Ward and Karlsson/Wingels on the 3rd line and it continued to the blues series, while the 4th line of Spalling, Zubrus and Karlsson/Wingels . But your 3rd line is significantly better, so it will be an adjustment. Would not surprise me to see Marleau reunited with Ward on the 3rd line.

But I am stoked to be watching the sharks play the finals for the first time. Work issues aside, I have 2 days off and already bought some beverages to watch tonight!

Question for you though. How does Daley's injury affect you?

Daley is sorely missed on the blue line.  His speed goes a long way to keeping opponents honest.  However, defense is where our youth and depth are at its best.   Maatta has been lights out since sitting a game for his poor play.  Schultz is the guy really brought in for Daley going out, and he's been steady defense with some great shots from the point.   His play has been so strong in the offensive zone that I understand he's been practicing in Letang's spot on the power play.  

I think our defense is very underrated.  If not for some late game surges Tampa very well could've been shut out a couple of times.  

I I would imagine Crosby's line will match up against Pavelski's line to start.  His defensive play has been stellar.  

37 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Its a huge case of schottenfrede Polaris. They can only take pleasure  in the pain of others(especially the Pens).  Its okay, they live in Philly, what else do they have to take pleasure in?

Living in the Philly area gives me plenty to take pleasure in that has nothing to do with your team winning, losing or dying, thanks. 

It's not a matter of taking pleasure in the pain of others. It's a matter of having a team or three that you just can't stand. For me it's the Rangers Devils and Pens, in that order. Something hard to understand about that, or is it just easier to make that lazy generalization? Is that so different from the way fans of any team on the face of the planet feel about their rivals?

You know, the same way Pittsburghers pray for Cleveland to fail, even though that city hasn't a title in anything since the Browns upset the Colts in 1964. Or is there something different about that? Because that to me sounds like enjoying the suffering of others....alot more than fans of a team in a 40+ year cup drought rooting against a hated rival that has won 3 in the last 25 years.Who enjoys whose suffering again?

9 minutes ago, Polaris922 said:

I think our defense is very underrated.  If not for some late game surges Tampa very well could've been shut out a couple of times.  

That may be true, but I think it's the Pens forecheck that choked out the Bolts for long stretches in the last series

3 hours ago, nossagog said:

Say it aint so Noss.  You went with the trite "Its okay, they live in Philly" routine?  That's what expect from no nothing lazy reporters from ESPN to use, not a poster like you.  I hope this is just a case of missed sarcasm on our parts.

2 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Say it aint so Noss.  You went with the trite "Its okay, they live in Philly" routine?  That's what expect from no nothing lazy reporters from ESPN to use, not a poster like you.  I hope this is just a case of missed sarcasm on our parts.

Poulin,  it really was just a case of laziness.  I have high respect for our philly brethren here, but sometimes, the 'burg in me just takes control.  

10 hours ago, nossagog said:

Poulin,  it really was just a case of laziness.  I have high respect for our philly brethren here, but sometimes, the 'burg in me just takes control.  

Understood Bro...I cant fault anyone for making a post in passion and I know you are a good guy on here...I thought it was a little out of character for you which is why I mentioned it. 

4 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes if Letang got one for this...

Then he should get at least one game too.

Letang's hit was a bit more dangerous. He was skating at full speed, and dropped a blindside shoulder under his chin, with no attempt to pull up. I think Marleau was going at about 3/4ths speed there.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Letang's hit was a bit more dangerous. He was skating at full speed, and dropped a blindside shoulder under his chin, with no attempt to pull up. I think Marleau was going at about 3/4ths speed there.

And i get that but still he made contact with his head and that is what they are trying to get out the game.

Call them the same and it may cause them to think twice about it. If not then they will continue maybe to try and get away with it.

16 hours ago, sarsippius said:

You know, the same way Pittsburghers pray for Cleveland to fail, even though that city hasn't a title in anything since the Browns upset the Colts in 1964. Or is there something different about that? Because that to me sounds like enjoying the suffering of others....alot more than fans of a team in a 40+ year cup drought rooting against a hated rival that has won 3 in the last 25 years.Who enjoys whose suffering again?

Good thought process. Bad example. Pittsburghers haven't hated the Browns (like you would hate a rival) in about 20 years.  When the original Browns up and left for Baltimore there was hardly any cheering about it in western Pennsylvania.  Quite the opposite actually.

Now the Ravens and Bungles on the other hand...

15 minutes ago, B21 said:

Good thought process. Bad example. Pittsburghers haven't hated the Browns (like you would hate a rival) in about 20 years.  When the original Browns up and left for Baltimore there was hardly any cheering about it in western Pennsylvania.  Quite the opposite actually.

Now the Ravens and Bungles on the other hand...

Steelers fans shouldn't hate the Browns. The Steelers have OWNED them.

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Steelers fans shouldn't hate the Browns. The Steelers have OWNED them.

Agree.  Put it this way - I would have no problem if the Browns beat the Steelers in the AFC Title Game and went on the win the Super Bowl. It's been THAT bad for the Browns...and their fans have remained loyal throughout.  Dare I say...the Leafs of the NFL?

14 minutes ago, B21 said:

Agree.  Put it this way - I would have no problem if the Browns beat the Steelers in the AFC Title Game and went on the win the Super Bowl. It's been THAT bad for the Browns...and their fans have remained loyal throughout.  Dare I say...the Leafs of the NFL?

REPORTED! 

Archived