Flyers need to draft a finisher

RonJeremy

It seems to me we need to draft a finisher in this draft. We have some playmakers like Giroux, Voracek, etc but we need a real sniper . I think Gauthier would be a perfect fit on that line. There seem to be some great wingers and Gauthier looks like he is the purest goal scorer that could be available when we pick. I also like Bellows. Whats everyone's opinion on this? Who is the guy that might be available at 18 that  would fit best on the Giroux line? 

I think Bellows is a good pick if he's available. Great shot, which we want. Pretty stocky and doesn't seem to avoid the tough areas.

I love Gauthiers size, but he doesn't make great use of it. He fell considerably from near the top of the early season rankings...a big red flag.

13 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

They need to trade Jake or Giroux and sign Stamkos to a 10 yr $120 million contract. 

Why trade just one?

Just saw this hypothetical trade....would you pull the trigger? (or should Hexy pull the trigger if Jets ok'd it?)

http://www.flyerdelphia.com/2016/05/-philadephia-flyers-trade-scenario-big-moves-make-for-big-success.html

To Winnipeg:

Coots or Jake

Morin

18th pick (2016)

To Flyers:

#2 pick (2016)

Scheifele

Top Line for Flyers: Laine / Giroux / Scheifele

Just a thought.....

Now the thought of this trade actually occurring is like the odds of a snow blizzard occurring in death valley...but like I said...just a thought...

9 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Just saw this hypothetical trade....would you pull the trigger? (or should Hexy pull the trigger if Jets ok'd it?)

http://www.flyerdelphia.com/2016/05/-philadephia-flyers-trade-scenario-big-moves-make-for-big-success.html

To Winnipeg:

Coots or Jake

Morin

18th pick (2016)

To Flyers:

#2 pick (2016)

Scheifele

Top Line for Flyers: Laine / Giroux / Scheifele

Just a thought.....

Now the thought of this trade actually occurring is like the odds of a snow blizzard occurring in death valley...but like I said...just a thought...

Agreed that either is a very unlikely trade from the Winnipeg standpoint (I'm not even sure they could adsorb Jake's salary). However, I think you make that move if available, though I'd slot Schiefle at C2 rather than top line RW, regardless of which of the two forwards you were to trade. Keep Simmonds on Giroux's right,  Schenn on the left on line 2, with either Konecny on the right, or Jake if you trade Couturier. It would certainly solidify the top of the lineup, and you can either drop Couturier to 3C where he would excel, or groom Laughton/Cousins for the defensive duties.

While going up to get Laine is a pipe dream, I wonder how hard it might be for the Flyers to go up 5-6 spots to target someone like McCleod or Bellows.

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

While going up to get Laine is a pipe dream, I wonder how hard it might be for the Flyers to go up 5-6 spots to target someone like McCleod or Bellows.

I dunno.  Obviously trying to trade up into top 10 is going to be difficult if not impossible.  The only team who might make a willing trade partner would be Edm.  I'm just not sure what type of defensive hardware Hexy is willing to give up.  One of the good things about doing the draft mock on the other thread is you get to see who realistically would be available.  The thing I noticed the most is that the Flyers just fall out of the range of trying to draft one of the better forwards.  Drafting at 18 I see forwards who are more of role type player than an elite scorer whom the Flyers desperately need.  So yeah.... If they can move up 5 or 6 spots I'm all for it.  Again...just don't know what it would cost.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I dunno.  Obviously trying to trade up into top 10 is going to be difficult if not impossible.  The only team who might make a willing trade partner would be Edm.  I'm just not sure what type of defensive hardware Hexy is willing to give up.  One of the good things about doing the draft mock on the other thread is you get to see who realistically would be available.  The thing I noticed the most is that the Flyers just fall out of the range of trying to draft one of the better forwards.  Drafting at 18 I see forwards who are more of role type player than an elite scorer whom the Flyers desperately need.  So yeah.... If they can move up 5 or 6 spots I'm all for it.  Again...just don't know what it would cost.

Honestly? I would think one of the 2nds should put you in the 12-13 range. The Flyers moved up 5 last year using the very last pick in the 2nd round. While you're 10ish spots higher this year, your seconds are both better than that one, and the class is weaker. Value-wise, it's a little light, so you may need to add a late-round pick, but I doubt you need to put together a significant package to swap with Carolina or Ottawa.

Edmonton is one top-ten team that I think may be willing to deal if they can get a quality defenseman in the trade, the other that keeps popping into my head is Calgary. They're in need of a goalie. I'm not sure who might be available around the league via trade (Andersen is tops, but they're in the same division), but the FA goalie class is terribly weak, and you could consider moving Neuvirth as part of a package if you want to run with Stolarz or Lyon as the backup. I'm not sure if 18+Neuvirth+48 or 52 gets you there, but it's an option I'd explore if you have a shot at Dubois or Tkatchuk. I probably wouldn't make the move if they're both gone, though. The problem is that player values on draft day are so volatile. Lehner got more value than most thought he would (#21. Though Legwand was part of the trade, it's likely he actually decreased the value Ottawa got in return), Schneider came in at 6th overall though he'd never started more than 33 games in a season, and when all was said and done Talbot, whom many thought was a better pickup than Lehner, came out around a 5th round value. If Neuvirth grades out favorably to Lehner in Calgary's eyes, 18/52/Neuvirth is just about perfect value for #6 (I'd actually written a long-winded mathematics post on this, but figured everyone's eyes would bleed and I'd get banned).

@AJgoal

thanks for the great explanation...... I just don't feel comfortable where the Flyers are picking.  From what you summarized it totally makes sense how you approached a potential trade.  I would love to see the Flyers move up to #11 or #12.

Here's the problem with drafting a 'finisher' - they might be able to play now, but their game won't be on par for another three years. By that time, you're looking at a 31 year old Giroux, a 30 year old Voracek and probably, the team has already found someone to fit that left wing spot. Right now, with where the club is drafting, I'm all for the best player available. If the club feels that a guy like Dante Fabbro is the best pick, then so be it. If some how, Michael McLeod falls to them, so be it. If it's Bellows or Kunin or Jones, awesome. As for Gauthier, I can't stand the guy. He's big, can score goals, but everything else in his game is lacking. His skating requires a lot of work, his defensive game is atrocious and his hands aren't of the playmaking variety. Simply put, if Gauthier isn't scoring goals, he's not helping your team.

Put me down for Bellows too.   Waiting for him to finish college could be frustrating but his upside looks pretty decent.   Luke Kunin has some nice numbers and has already put in a year at college.  Playing on a bad team he was easily Wisconsin's best player.  A coaching change could turn him into a special player.  Unfortunately he's a smallish center which is what we already have enough of.

I pray they don't draft this Max Jones kid.  I know he's the kind of big power forward they lack, but his penchant for taking dumb penalties concerns me.  And not just because of his recent suspension.  Even when playing in lower levels he racked up way too many minutes in the box.  Playing on the National Development team he accrued more than 4 PMs per game.  That is ridiculous in today's NHL.  We don't need another Claude Boivin.

On 05/06/2016 at 0:48 PM, Poconono said:

Put me down for Bellows too.   Waiting for him to finish college could be frustrating but his upside looks pretty decent.   Luke Kunin has some nice numbers and has already put in a year at college.  Playing on a bad team he was easily Wisconsin's best player.  A coaching change could turn him into a special player.  Unfortunately he's a smallish center which is what we already have enough of.

I pray they don't draft this Max Jones kid.  I know he's the kind of big power forward they lack, but his penchant for taking dumb penalties concerns me.  And not just because of his recent suspension.  Even when playing in lower levels he racked up way too many minutes in the box.  Playing on the National Development team he accrued more than 4 PMs per game.  That is ridiculous in today's NHL.  We don't need another Claude Boivin.

Max Jones is NOT Claude Boivin. His penalty minutes were due to his style of play. He's a hard and physical guy to play against and hrs got a man streak. He's a more physical Lawson Crouse. He's got great hands, he's a very good defensive player, when half the team was gone for the WJC, he and Cliff Pu carried the team and he produces with minimal power play time. He's going to have a much larger role in London this year as he's probably going to put up 80 to 90 points next season. Jones is a really good hockey player and he's the kind of guy you want handling Tom Wilson. 

8 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Max Jones is NOT Claude Boivin. His penalty minutes were due to his style of play. He's a hard and physical guy to play against and hrs got a man streak. He's a more physical Lawson Crouse. He's got great hands, he's a very good defensive player, when half the team was gone for the WJC, he and Cliff Pu carried the team and he produces with minimal power play time. He's going to have a much larger role in London this year as he's probably going to put up 80 to 90 points next season. Jones is a really good hockey player and he's the kind of guy you want handling Tom Wilson. 

I'd be fine with Jones...but he won't be there when we pick anyway.

He'd be a top line player on most teams, but likely ends up 2nd line LW again next year since Marner and Tkachuk will most likely be back. Unless someone shifts to right.

32 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd be fine with Jones...but he won't be there when we pick anyway.

He'd be a top line player on most teams, but likely ends up 2nd line LW again next year since Marner and Tkachuk will most likely be back. Unless someone shifts to right.

I don't think Marner will be back next year especially after all he has accomplished this past year like Ivan what else is there for him to prove??

J. Ross Robertson trophy?? Check!

Stafford Smythe (MVP)?? Check!

Ed Chynoweth trophy?? Check!

Memorial Cup??? Check!

What else does the kid need to prove??? I say not a damn thing move on to the next quest!!!

But just my 2 cents!

I agree he has nothing to prove....it's his twelve year old girls body that will likely have him back in the O after a 9 game NHL stint. Maybe not, he certainly has the skill...but man is he slight.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

I agree he has nothing to prove....it's his twelve year old girls body that will likely have him back in the O after a 9 game NHL stint. Maybe not, he certainly has the skill...but man is he slight.

Good point but Claude was pretty much his same size in 2010 when he played in the playoffs so it can be done. Vision and the ability to avoid some of these devastating NHL hits is what will prolong these Giroux size type players  careers. Some have it and some don't.

I really hope they can acquire Gauthier.  I can hear Jim Jackson now:  "Jake brings into the Pittsburgh zone.  Slides it off to G.  He finds Gudas at the point.  Over to Ghost.  He winds up....shoots...Goat tips it in!!!!

Gee, that would be great.

Archived