Who Wins the Conn Smythe?

hf101

Who Wins the Conn Smythe?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Conn Smythe?

• Sidney Crosby
    • Phil Kessel
    • Matt Murray

I think the Series will be over on Thursday with a Penguins victory at home, and frankly they deserve it.  Sullivan is the MVP imo, as he's gotten the most out of every player on the team in these playoffs.  A thought probably deserving of it's own thread as how he actually managed that?  

Possibly one of these 3 will make it obvious in game 5 for who deserves the award for MVP of the Playoffs. But until then who do you think will win it?

1. Sidney Crosby  -  6 G, 11 A, including 1 OT winner
  2. Phil Kessel  -  10 G, 11 A
  3. Matt Murray  -  14 W,  5 L, 2OT W

22 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Pavelski

If the Sharks win the next game, maybe Pavelski has a chance.  However, the Pens have completely shut down Pavelski in this series and I don't see him winning it.

I liked your pre- edited answer better.  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

If the Sharks win the next game, maybe Pavelski has a chance.  However, the Pens have completely shut down Pavelski in this series and I don't see him winning it.

I liked your pre- edited answer better.  :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

Next game? I want the next three. Probably won't get it, so I'll just treat this season like the lockouts in 2004-2005 and 2008-2009 where we lost a whole season and there was no Cup awarded.

It was inappropriate :D.

I think the Sharks will pull out at least one win, simply because this series has been too hard-fought to end in five, but I agree (unfortunately) that the Pens are the likely winners.

That said, I went with Murray in the poll. Crosby has been too streaky. I've watched a couple of games in the playoffs in which the only times he was really talked about were the times that the commentators were talking about what a non-factor he was. Yes, at times he's been brilliant, but his playoffs have been much like his regular season. Sometimes on, sometimes off.

Kessel is a great candidate, and has far exceeded all expectations in my book. He has kept the offense firing when Crosby and Malkin were off their games, and I wouldn't complain if he won the trophy. That said, Murray has been incredible. I've long lost count of the "how on earth did that not go in?!" moments that he's provided. There have been a couple of games in which he didn't look all that sharp, but he's a rookie, and those have been rare. I do not believe that the Pens would be where they are without him. My confidence in him is much higher than in Fleury.

10 hours ago, hf101 said:

I think the Series will be over on Thursday with a Penguins victory at home, and frankly they deserve it.  Sullivan is the MVP imo, as he's gotten the most out of every player on the team in these playoffs.  A thought probably deserving of it's own thread as how he actually managed that?  

Possibly one of these 3 will make it obvious in game 5 for who deserves the award for MVP of the Playoffs. But until then who do you think will win it?

1. Sidney Crosby  -  6 G, 11 A, including 1 OT winner
  2. Phil Kessel  -  10 G, 11 A
  3. Matt Murray  -  14 W,  5 L, 2OT W

IF (series far from over) the Pens win I think it's close enough between Murray and Kessel that these next few (or 1) game(s) matter.

If the Pens win Game 5 by a score of 6-4 and Kessel has a goal and 2 assists and Murray stops...oh....20 of 24 shots? Kessel wins it.

If the Pens win Game 5 by a score of 2-0 with the "2" being an empty netter and Murray stops 25-30 shots? Then it's Murray.  

Long story short - Murray has bee good. Not great.  He's let in a few too many softies in the SCF for me and the Pens D has been making life fairly easy for him.

I go with Kessel.  Crosby has been great but his production is off (I still say due to injury).  Murray has been great but he's let in a couple soft goals (see game 3) and goalies often don't get so much credit when their team limits shots as the Pens have.  Kessel has been impressive offensively and defensively.  He's back checking and hitting on top of goals and assists.  The only other name I'd throw in there to consider is Nick Bonino.  Big goals, plenty of points, giving up the body time and time again to block shots, winning key face offs... He's been an absolute force game in game out.  And in my opinion he deserves as much consideration as anyone.  

For some odd reason I think Sid will win the Conn Smyth, maybe his face - off wins has something to do with it.   :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

But, I placed my vote for the rookie goaltender, Murray, who has taken command of this tournament similar to Cam Ward did his rookie season.

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

For some odd reason I think Sid will win the Conn Smyth, maybe his face - off wins has something to do with it.   :5726b5f6e7bd6_bigteeth:

But, I placed my vote for the rookie goaltender, Murray, who has taken command of this tournament similar to Cam Ward did his rookie season.

I would be ok with Murray winning it too. He has played well. Cam Ward is a good example too. Infact his play is going to boot the Flower to Calgary i bet....

Was staying away from this thread as I don't want to think ahead, stay in the moment, play one game at a time.   But whatever.   I've been pretty quiet here lately as I've been moving, and now that I'm at least a little settled, I'll post more.   

Anyway, I'm not sure I see Murray as Conn Smythe material at the moment.  He's not stealing games, he's not standing on his head.  Yes he's winning games, but a big part of that is the number of shots the Pens are blocking, and the real scoring chances the Sharks are getting are being limited by the 5 man defense.   He's made great saves, and let in a few softies.  So in the end, he's doing what he's supposed to. but not with an outstanding flare.  I give him a 35% chance.

So who else?   Well it would just KILL the internet if Crosby got it.     Not great numbers, but you have to look at the details of his defensive play to really appreciate his game. But that would just fuel the hate even further.  The over all game, plus name, will put him at about 50% at this point.

Phil Kessel?  Oh how the Canadian press would hate that, especially in Toronto.  Great numbers, clutch goals, actually playing defense too.  I'm going to put him also at 50%.

My dark horse, and the person I hope scores a goal in overtime goal in a 1-0 game to seal the deal is  Nick Friggin  Bonino.  He is one of the guys who has played and given  everything that he has for this team in the playoffs.  I know that shots blocked is not something that the voters look at, but look at the sacrifice he makes every game.   Look at his defensive play, his penalty killing.   Sure he does not have the numbers of star players, but his contributions both offensively and defensively cannot be denied.  You cannot win the Cup without players like him.  He is the epitome of a team player, and has keyed the HBK line to fuel the Pens this post season.   Let's go off script for once.   WE NEED BONINO!

All opinions in the post are based on current play of the teams and assume that the Pens win tomorrow night. If not all bets are off dudes and I'll change my opinion. 

7 hours ago, nossagog said:

So if the Sharks come back to win the series, does Jones win the Conn Smythe for the Sharks?

lol.  I'll have to make a new poll if we get to a game 7     :5726b5f7a17fd_cointoss:

Archived