Flyers Off-Season Game Plan

Occam:

I get you RE: trade value.  There might be someone out there willing to take on salary. If not, we have a very costly AHLer and limited cap relief via "Baumgartnering."

We shall see. 

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Occam:

I get you RE: trade value.  There might be someone out there willing to take on salary. If not, we have a very costly AHLer and limited cap relief via "Baumgartnering."

We shall see. 

I hope you're right i hope Hexy can still work some magic with that disgusting contract...

...a good read on why Mcdud shouldn't be a part of the Flyers...

only Nick Schultz allowed a higher percentage of controlled entries when specifically targeted by an oncoming opponent.

Defenseman 5v5 Controlled Entry Percentage Allowed
Shayne Gostisbehere 44.78%
Brandon Manning 48.63%
Evgeny Medvedev 49.69%
Luke Schenn 51.05%
Mark Streit 52.17%
Michael Del Zotto 53.18%
Radko Gudas 54.67%
Andrew MacDonald 59.03%
Nick Schultz 59.21%

Last season, MacDonald sat right around Luke Schenn in terms of zone exit efficiency, and yet again that proved to be the case in 2015-16.

Defenseman Percent of Controlled Exits out of all Successful Exits Percent of Controlled Exits out of All Exit Attempts
Shayne Gostisbehere 72.07% 55.05%
Michael Del Zotto 61.50% 48.63%
Evgeny Medvedev 62.82% 45.31%
Mark Streit 59.86% 45.24%
Brandon Manning 60.58% 43.92%
Luke Schenn 58.55% 42.01%
Andrew MacDonald 57.06% 40.79%
Radko Gudas 51.02% 35.48%
Nick Schultz 50.46% 35.17%

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/6/7/11647136/2015-16-flyers-season-ahl-stint-andrew-macdonald-review

I hope i never see him in a Flyer uniform again....unless it's to audition him for a trade.

Occam:

I saw this earlier. Yes, he is not a particularly good D-man. I guess Homer pulled the trigger after a short stint in which he looked good. This is an albatross. There may be a point at which a buyout begins to make sense if our cap goes up.  The other route, per Vinny, is salary pickup..

There are many lessons here. Trying longer before buying is one.  But contracts past three years should be reserved for the few who have demonstrated value.  What's sad is that we don't even clear much cap dumping him.  

Peace,

Howie

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

There may be a point at which a buyout begins to make sense if our cap goes up.

I think i did the buyout calculator right...

Buyout

Year Contract Salary Due Contract Cap Hit Buyout Cost Buyout Savings Buyout Cap Hit
2016-17 $4,750,000 $5,000,000 $1,770,833 $2,979,167 $2,020,833
2017-18 $5,250,000 $5,000,000 $1,770,833 $3,479,167 $1,520,833
2018-19 $5,500,000 $5,000,000 $1,770,833 $3,729,167 $1,270,833
2019-20 $5,750,000 $5,000,000 $1,770,833 $3,979,167 $1,020,833
2020-21 $0 $0 $1,770,833 -$1,770,833 $1,770,833
2021-22 $0 $0 $1,770,833 -$1,770,833 $1,770,833
2022-23 $0 $0 $1,770,833 -$1,770,833 $1,770,833
2023-24 $0 $0 $1,770,833 -$1,770,833 $1,770,833

So if i did this right the Flyers could save 13.9mill over the next 4 years (and 1.7mill in dead money over the following 4 years after that)....just a thought...picking up some salary in a trade is an option too.

If you could find a taker. Good luck. The only bonehead who would touch him is still employed by the Flyers.

29 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Occam:

Thanks for this post.  It is an eye-opener.  Boy, in a year or two this becomes even more viable.  

Howie

I don't think the Flyers can afford to sign Del Zotto and Ghost this year to a new deal...

...so i expect Del Zotto to more than likely be traded by the deadline for picks or prospects.

I think the contract Sami Vatanen signed the other day is a good model for Ghost. 4 years with a 4.8 AAV. 

On June 7, 2016 at 9:50 PM, FD19372 said:

Vandevelde is a STIFF. He brings absolutely nothing to the table. I'd rather try Taylor Leier out as my fourth liner in the pre-season, and see if he sticks. Trade Jake, Read and a couple of picks + and get a top line right wing. I'm as big a Simmonds fan as anyone, but he is not a top line RW. He's a REALLY good second line player.

I couldn't agree more on Vandy. I'm sure he tries, but I get a little sick every time I see his name in the lineup. 

6 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't think the Flyers can afford to sign Del Zotto and Ghost this year to a new deal...

...so i expect Del Zotto to more than likely be traded by the deadline for picks or prospects.

I think the contract Sami Vatanen signed the other day is a good model for Ghost. 4 years with a 4.8 AAV. 

I think it depends on the year they have. 

Streit isnin the market now I'm sure.  

MDZ coming off the injury, could be a deadline deal or he could be a mid-season move. He's not going to be part of the ten year plan.  But keeping for two or three would be nice.  He ain't signing a two year deal though. 

If the flyers happen to look really good come the deadline, they're going to have to keep him and cut their losses after he signs elsewhere at the end of the season. 

With the confirmation of a $73 million salary cap, VLC's retirement, and Umberger's buyout, the Flyers sit with a bit under $15.3 million in cap space. The only two signings I think will end up over 1 million are Schenn and Gudas. Weal, Cousins, and Manning won't garner big raises this year. White's a bit of a wild card, it will be interesting to see if he comes back again. The Flyers certainly have some flexibility here now. I figure when all is said and done with re-signing their own folks, the Flyers will have ~7-8 million in cap space. They could afford to acquire a cap casualty with the prize of a young player as Carolina did with Bickell. We tossed about the rumor in the chatbox of Hartnell being packaged with #3 overall from Columbus, and it's certainly something I'd investigate, but the price has to work.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

With the confirmation of a $73 million salary cap, VLC's retirement, and Umberger's buyout, the Flyers sit with a bit under $15.3 million in cap space. The only two signings I think will end up over 1 million are Schenn and Gudas. Weal, Cousins, and Manning won't garner big raises this year. White's a bit of a wild card, it will be interesting to see if he comes back again. The Flyers certainly have some flexibility here now. I figure when all is said and done with re-signing their own folks, the Flyers will have ~7-8 million in cap space. They could afford to acquire a cap casualty with the prize of a young player as Carolina did with Bickell. We tossed about the rumor in the chatbox of Hartnell being packaged with #3 overall from Columbus, and it's certainly something I'd investigate, but the price has to work.

Pavel Datsyuk could "retire a Flyer" then, no? :dancing:

Now that Goligoski signed a big contract in Arizona, does that make Streit a more marketable commodity? I'd have to think that some club is going to be interested in Streit and that with his minimal pay (but decent cap hit), he'll be in demand.

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Now that Goligoski signed a big contract in Arizona, does that make Streit a more marketable commodity? I'd have to think that some club is going to be interested in Streit and that with his minimal pay (but decent cap hit), he'll be in demand.

You might be able to find someone to take Streit (especially once he gets his $2M signing bonus on July 1 - then he's a $5.25M cap hit on a $2M actual money commitment), but I don't think the return coming back will be huge.

The main issue is that his game fell off a cliff after his injury last year. If he shows he's still got something in the tank he could also be moved in season.

since hextall wants to build from center and defense, is going after a center and defensemen on reasonable deals a good idea? for example, backes or brad richards? i wouldnt mind stamkos but that's a big contract he's going to want. i would rather go after bridge deals on some players in fa, rather than overpaying. i believe hexy should go after centers and some defensemen.

we need depth in those areas if that's his plan.

1 hour ago, briere48 said:

since hextall wants to build from center and defense, is going after a center and defensemen on reasonable deals a good idea? for example, backes or brad richards? i wouldnt mind stamkos but that's a big contract he's going to want. i would rather go after bridge deals on some players in fa, rather than overpaying. i believe hexy should go after centers and some defensemen.

we need depth in those areas if that's his plan.

How about we stay the course and keep building for the future. Once our D is solidified and there's more cheap good talent up front we can think of buying a piece to fill a present hole.  Getting a guy whose wheels will be falling off in a few years doesn't make any sense to me.

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

How about we stay the course and keep building for the future. Once our D is solidified and there's more cheap good talent up front we can think of buying a piece to fill a present hole.  Getting a guy whose wheels will be falling off in a few years doesn't make any sense to me.

how do you know this d prospects are going to be great? just because they are first round picks and hextall is picking them? i mean nothing is won at the draft because there's no guarantee these guys are going to be good, ghost wasnt hexy's pick, it was homer's pick and they got lucky with him, but you still need vets to help the young players. why is florida so good after they got ekblad because they didnt get rid of their vets and having them on the team helps their growth.

look at the oilers why are they so bad? they dont have any vets on that team and they believe that having young players on that team without vets are going to be great and it doesnt work. i never understand what's wrong with having vets on this team, it's not hurting anyone, it's helping the young players. i mean look at giroux without jagr, is he better without him? he had his best season when jagr was playing with him and this team's first line never any problems scoring. there's no solutions in the draft to fix the first line because that guy needs time to develop, you cant rush this kids.

you cant rush any prospects just for the sake of plugging a hole, that's the wrong way of growing young players, you need vets to help them grow no matter who is coming up, it's not a video game where you can just put young players together and they will be good, it doesnt work that way.

31 minutes ago, briere48 said:

how do you know this d prospects are going to be great? just because they are first round picks and hextall is picking them? i mean nothing is won at the draft because there's no guarantee these guys are going to be good, ghost wasnt hexy's pick, it was homer's pick and they got lucky with him, but you still need vets to help the young players. why is florida so good after they got ekblad because they didnt get rid of their vets and having them on the team helps their growth.

look at the oilers why are they so bad? they dont have any vets on that team and they believe that having young players on that team without vets are going to be great and it doesnt work. i never understand what's wrong with having vets on this team, it's not hurting anyone, it's helping the young players. i mean look at giroux without jagr, is he better without him? he had his best season when jagr was playing with him and this team's first line never any problems scoring. there's no solutions in the draft to fix the first line because that guy needs time to develop, you cant rush this kids.

you cant rush any prospects just for the sake of plugging a hole, that's the wrong way of growing young players, you need vets to help them grow no matter who is coming up, it's not a video game where you can just put young players together and they will be good, it doesnt work that way.

Vets ALREADY on the Flyers...Giroux/Voracek/Simmonds/Bellemare/DelZotto/Mason/Neuvirth/Raffl/Read/Shultz/Streit/White/Gagner/Vandevelde...or do they not count cause we didn't go out and pay them as UFAs?

Well if this new contract that the Preds just handed Forseberg 6×36 mill (6.0 per) is the bench mark that Brayden thinks he's going to get then i think i explore trading him.

How the f**k the Preds can hand him a contract like that for only scoring 60 NHL goals is mind boggling. These contracts are just getting out of hand.

So if Hexy trades him i wouldn't be shocked. I don't want it to come to that but if it does over a contract dispute i would understand.

Someone has to be he one to put there foot down.

Forsberg put up a better season last year (when he was 20) than Schenn did this year (24) and improved upon this this past season. Not sure, but you may have to slightly overpay players to stay in Nashville as well. I don't think Philly has that problem.Which to me puts Schenn at 5m a season.... Which is fine.

Haven't "we" been down the sign some vets road already? Jagr helped indeed but he's also willing to sign cap friendly deals that won't hamstring the club. "Vets" these days are looking for big money long term. Im for staying the course and at least give RH the chance to finish unraveling this mess we are in now 

Archived