Flyers Lineup 2016 - 2017

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Digityman said:

Not sure why Meltzer thinks they won't be able to resign MDZ.  

depends on his demands. I know we have a lot of young guys coming in, but it would still be crucial to have a guy like Del Zotto on this roster for a few more years until those young guys get some action under their belts. He's the only top-4 defenseman we have that has any long-term experience in the NHL. I'm hoping we can extend him to a reasonable contract

Well i guess it sounds as if the Flyers can/will carry 8 D men unless Hak is just blowing smoke...

“I think you saw the role Mandog solidified last year when he and [Radko Gudas] got into a really good rhythm,” Hakstol said. “They were two guys that were hard to go against … Mandog is a guy that can get up the ice … I thought he did a good job of establishing that two-way role last year.”

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/10/5/13176076/dave-hakstol-shines-light-on-defensive-log-jam-says-team-could-carry-8

Calling the kid by his nickname sounds like he is in good favor with the coach to me...i guess we'll see soon.

23 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

depends on his demands. I know we have a lot of young guys coming in, but it would still be crucial to have a guy like Del Zotto on this roster for a few more years until those young guys get some action under their belts. He's the only top-4 defenseman we have that has any long-term experience in the NHL. I'm hoping we can extend him to a reasonable contract

I'd go a step further and say that if MDZ plays the way he has been, it's imperative that he be resigned for the reasons you list above.

1 hour ago, Digityman said:

I'd go a step further and say that if MDZ plays the way he has been, it's imperative that he be resigned for the reasons you list above.

The ridiculous thing is that if MDZ uses his teammates as a barometer (i.e. MacDud), he should be getting $7M+ according to that scale. 

But if you look at any sane measurement, MDZ is probably worth in the $5-6M range.

4 hours ago, radoran said:

Meltzer reporting that Laughton is our 3-4 weeks and Manning is week-to-week.

That shines some light on opening night, but they still have decisions to make in the short term.

Friggin' Laughton....guy can't stay healthy. Hopefully it wasn't a concussion. Anyone?

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Friggin' Laughton....guy can't stay healthy. Hopefully it wasn't a concussion. Anyone?

I seen two reports lost an edge like mentioned and took a shot off the foot. Not sure which is true or maybe both are.

5 hours ago, radoran said:

Meltzer reporting that Laughton is our 3-4 weeks and Manning is week-to-week.

That shines some light on opening night, but they still have decisions to make in the short term.

Buys them time. 9 games x 2 players.  

Laughton makes room for Konex and Manning for Provo. 

A few weeks to try them out and maybe just maybe make a trade to make room.  

1 hour ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Unfortunately the cap will play a part in the decision who will play and who unwillingly gets sent down.

You're absolutely right!

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20161007_Injuries_complicate_Flyers_roster_moves.html

The Flyers have 26 players and must get down to 23. The 26 players have a combined salary-cap hit of around $74.675 million, according to generalfanager.com. Teams cannot exceed $73 million when their final rosters are submitted.

With Manning injured, the seven defensemen in camp figure to start the season with the club, including impressive rookie Ivan Provorov. The others are Radko Gudas, Michael Del Zotto, Mark Streit, Andrew MacDonald, Shayne Gostisbehere, and Nick Schultz.

Laughton's injury means that two forwards will probably be trimmed from the roster to make the Flyers cap-compliant. Candidates include Chris VandeVelde ($712,500 cap hit), Roman Lyubimov ($925,000), Matt Read ($3.625 million), Jordan Weal ($650,000), Nick Cousins ($840,000), and Travis Konecny ($894,166), who has arguably been the Flyers' best forward in camp.

VandeVelde, Weal, and Read would have to clear waivers before being sent to the Phantoms. If Read was sent down, the Flyers would get only $950,000 in cap relief, though his cap hit is $3.625 million.

Lyubimov and Cousins would not need waivers to go to Lehigh Valley, while Konecny, 19, could not go to the Phantoms because of his age and would report to juniors if demoted.

"We've got a pretty good battle going on here" for spots, Hextall said. "I give everybody credit. . . . I don't know what we're going to do at this point. We've got some tough decisions."

Is anyone willing to take Read for maybe 50% salary? I feel like his production has dropped so significantly even that would be a hard sell. Not too many 4th liners chewing up even 1.8mil. It would likely have to be a team looking to slot him on the 3rd in a primarily checking role. That doesn't sound impossible... Does it?

Anyway, clearly he's the odd man out in this scenario. $3.6mil is a lot for a guy who's pretty good at creating turnovers, but barely gets a shot on net anymore.

47 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Lyubimov i'm afraid will be one sent down just because he is waiver exempt i think....whom else i'm not sure...i'd prefer him to make a trade than to waive Read for nada...

I look at it this way. If the Flyers waive Read, then they weren't able to swing a trade for him. If someone decides to pick him up, I take the extra 2.7ish million in cap space and say "Thank You." I'd prefer to get something back, but the cap space alone is an asset.

This was what I thought the lineup would be:

Raffl - Giroux - Simmonds(because Raffl was scoring 20+ goals)

Voracek - Couturier - Schenn(can make Coots be a 20+ goalser)

Laughton - Cousins - Weise(10+ goals a piece?)

Read - Gordon - Bellemare(Read and to a lesser extant Belly +goals)

But this is now what I want it to be:

TK - Giroux - Voracek ( A highly dynamic line = POW)

Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds (Ahh finally Schenn playing with Coots... and Simmonds is all gravy-train)

Raffl - Cousins - Weise  ( Offensive ability with the makings of a "More" enhanced version of last years untouchable line 4 possession driven line, which sustains offensive zone play attack and can wear the opponent down. And who knows Laughton/Leier/Weal on left side at some point in the season.)

Luby -Gordon - Belly (No! say it not soo! Our LGB line....seriously though, this line has serious potential)

PPF1: Schenn/TK - Giroux - Voracek

PPD1: Del Zotto - Ghost

PPF2: TK/Schenn - Coots - Simmonds/Weise

PPD2: Provorov - Streit

Yes now i agree waive Ghost to get under the cap. After reading this article it makes sense.

So before freaking out about waiving Ghost read it too. It would be just a paper transaction to comply then bring him back.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/10/8/13207638/how-the-flyers-could-and-should-finalize-their-opening-night-roster-by-waiving-shayne-gostisbehere

11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes now i agree waive Ghost to get under the cap. After reading this article it makes sense.

So before freaking out about waiving Ghost read it too. It would be just a paper transaction to comply then bring him back.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2016/10/8/13207638/how-the-flyers-could-and-should-finalize-their-opening-night-roster-by-waiving-shayne-gostisbehere

Gostisbehere is not being waived because he's waiver exempt. He can however, be demoted in order for us to get under the cap, and then re-called 

Archived