Camp Review/Prospect Write-up-

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought this was an interesting set of observations and is relevant to the thread. 

http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?360079-2016-Flyers-Prospect-Camp/page18

Ummm ...... Muzzin is a 40 point 23 minute d-man who plays with Doughty. He got named to Canada's world cup team for September. He's a top pairing d-man. the Kings were one of the top 4 stanley cup contenders this year aat the start of the playoffs accoridng to odds makers.

Also, 80 games is a bit arbitrary - how about how many years in development leagues before becoming a regular (i.e., what age does a player reach before becoming a regular).

Roman Josi is a star and he started his second year in the A before getting called up at the age of 21.
Klingberg didnt start in the NHL until he was 22.
Giordano played 2 full seasons in the A and didnt become an NHL regular until the age of 23.
Byfuglien spent most of 2 seasons in the A before becoming an NHL regular at 22.
Barrie spent parts of 2 seasons in the A before becoming a full time regular at 22.
Yandle spent parts of 2 seasons in the A before becoming a full time regular at 22.
Krug spent a year in the A, even after college, and didnt become a regular until he was 22.
Keith got 2 full years in the A, neither of which he dominated - so even without the lockout who knows, and didnt become a regular until he was 22.
Muzzin spent parts of 3 years in the A and didnt have his first full NHL season until he was 24.
Vatanen spent parts of 2 years in the A, even after senior experience in europe, and didnt become a full time NHL regular until he was 23.
Chara spent parts of 2 years in the A and didnt become a regular until he was 22.
Goligoski spent parts of 2 years in the A, even after a college career, and didnt become a full time regular until he was 24.

Etc, etc. And this list isnt "top 4 d-men" - this is from the top 30 scoring d-man in the league, mostly #1s or at least top pairing guys.

Morin is 21 with 1 year in the A - the above data suggests he shoudl be in the A again, with maybe a few NHL games at some point.
Hagg is 21 with parts of 3 years in the A, but his age suggests he could spend another year, with again maybe some callups.
Sanheim is just 20 and could easily use 2 years in the A.
Provorov is 19 - he doesn;t need to make the NHL yet.

1 hour ago, Cheesesteak said:

?  I don't get it   :56ce53d1d6689_IDunnoSmiley:

LOL   You asked about a penis and that, for whatever reason, made me think of Applebees.   I don't know why.

37 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

LOL   You asked about a penis and that, for whatever reason, made me think of Applebees.   I don't know why.

BWAH...What the hell YOU been eating at Applebee's? :572958dca2943_scratcheshead:    Must be from the secret menu...

30 minutes ago, Cheesesteak said:

BWAH...What the hell YOU been eating at Applebee's? :572958dca2943_scratcheshead:    Must be from the secret menu...

Well, it's all about the secret sauce (ewwwww).  Buffalo sauce, if you will.

Actually, it's not me but I couldn't resist the above comment.

Just now, ruxpin said:

LOL  Couldn't let me have my moment, could you?

Haha, I didn't mean to take anything away from your superior trolling skills ;)

Wait... are you TheJosh??

@ruxpin

@brelic

@mojo1917

@Cheesesteak

ROFLMAO......  well done gentlemen...well done....those are some seriously funny posts..... LOL @brelic  the link you posted is funny as hell.  Are you sure that is not Rick and Fanatic arguing back and forth?  After all that I think I need something drink! :beer:

18 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

@ruxpin

@brelic

@mojo1917

@Cheesesteak

ROFLMAO......  well done gentlemen...well done....those are some seriously funny posts..... LOL @brelic  the link you posted is funny as hell.  Are you sure that is not Rick and Fanatic arguing back and forth?  After all that I think I need something drink! :beer:

Haha crazy right? I can't believe the guy took the bait on 8 days a week :)

4 hours ago, Cheesesteak said:

I found out what Rux and Rick have been doing at Applebee's...

OiIqV3d.gif

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

I found out what Rux and Rick have been doing at Applebee's...

OiIqV3d.gif

ROFLMFAO ... that is just plain wrong and disturbing .... LOL

boy has this thread just taken a wild turn and created its own identity..... :5726b5fcd63d1_smileyandcomputer:

On 7/12/2016 at 11:41 AM, flyercanuck said:

A guy with another year in junior did this....

kingsand2.jpg

One more year in junior should do this sand castle sculptor some good. I see defects in road construction, no rail along "the roadway", etc.

15 takeaways from Flyers Development Camp

http://flyzette.com/2016/07/13/15-takeaways-from-flyers-development-camp/

There’s only so much you can take away from players performing the simplest of hockey drills with little to no contact on the ice.

That’s why Ron Hextall echoed the sentiment of development camp not being an evaluation but rather an opportunity to get the players back to the basics to prepare them for what’s ahead in training camp. Yet, there’s definitely some things you can pull here and there from being surrounded by 34 prospects for almost a week and from the conversations you have with those players.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but here’s what I came away with after the five days of on-ice training and the Trial on the Isle:

1. I’m more convinced that Ivan Provorov is here to stay than I thought coming in. Listening to him speak about his game and watching him on the ice – even in the most basic of drills – it sure seems like he’s poised for the NHL. Hextall said, “If a young kid makes us a better team than we will keep them. But if not, we will go with what we have.” In this case, I think it’ll be pretty tough to say Provorov doesn’t make this team better come October.
  2. Prospects seem to be following the team’s workout regimen. Between Travis Konecny and Travis Sanheim, Hextall is pleased with the amount of weight room work and nutrition his prospects have had. That’s great news, especially for Konecny as he builds a bigger frame for the physicality of the NHL. In Sanheim’s case, the nearly 25 pounds he’s put on since being drafted will make him even better on the puck and along the boards. Up and down, too, the prospects really did seem to be in peak shape at an early age. It should only go up from there.
  3. The Flyers have a gold mine of goalies. With three netminders picked in the second or third round in the last two drafts, including this year’s highest drafted goalie Carter Hart, the Flyers are looking extremely talented between the pipes. Add a potentially boom free agent signing out of college in Yale’s Alex Lyon to go along with Anthony Stolarz in Lehigh Valley and this organization is quite fruitful in the goalie department. One of those guys, possibly Hart, will be the No. 1 goalie on this team down the road, “We wouldn’t have picked a guy in the second round if we didn’t think he had a chance to be a No. 1 goalie. Carter has some special qualities.”
  4. For guys like Oskar Lindblom, Reece Willcox, Nicholas Aube-Kubel and Sanheim, the brief stints with Lehigh Valley really were beneficial. All four of those players specifically credited their experience in the AHL last season as major learning opportunities for what to expect next season. Sanheim said that, “being able to play against men before this season starts and into camp is definitely going to help.”
  5. Hextall has done well in drafting not just top talent, but good people. From a reporter’s perspective, it’s always enjoyable when a player is either well-spoken or open with what’s on their mind. I’d venture to say almost all of these guys at camp were in that category, which is something rare especially among high school and college-aged athletes. Carter Hart, Alex Lyon, Wade Allisonand Cole Bardreau, along with the top guys, all give you honest, insightful and in Allison’s case, entertaining, quotes.
  6. Bardreau will play in orange and black this season… but not at the start. Hextall really likes what he sees in the 23-year-old, “He’s strong. He plays like a man… he’s very irritating. If you’re on the other team you’re keeping your head up.” The general manager said when he watched him during drills, he had to go ‘wow’ a few times. If you make Hextall have that type of reaction, you’re going to find your way on the big club eventually. Look for him as a call-up during the season.
  7. Competition is a must for Hextall. I asked him following the signing of Roman Lyubinov about the abundance of bodies competing for a bottom six job, “There should be competition. If you don’t come in in good shape and don’t deserve to make it, you’re not going to make it.” The Flyers will have some difficult decisions to make in that group come October.
  8. Going with that, I don’t think Travis Konecny makes the team this season. Seeing how much progress he made last season in terms of his maturation and the approximate 10 pounds he put on, I’d expect Hextall to give him another year with Sarnia before unleashing him next summer. That being said, if he puts together an awe-inspiring camp – which he’s capable of – it’ll be hard for the Flyers to not keep him around (see No. 1 for rationale).
  9. Camp invites really learn a lot. There were four guys in camp that had no affiliation with the Flyers. For those few, this is a chance for them to learn in an NHL environment and prepare themselves for what’s ahead. In Mike Vecchione’s case, he’ll be using the knowledge he learned last week and carrying that into his senior season with Union, “It gives me a good amount of confidence. Going through this whole process was awesome.” The same can be said for guys like Ondrej Vala,Garrett McFadden and Brennan Menell.
  10. The blue line prospects are well aware of what the potential of this group can be. Even Shayne Gostisbehere says he keeps an eye on Provorov, believing what the Flyers are doing to be something special, “It’s cool. We’ve got a lot of good young D prospects, not just [Provorov and Sanheim]. You have [Robert] Hagg, Sam [Morin]… it’s cool to see everyone working hard.”
  11. Having that abundance of talented defensemen also benefits the other blueliners that aren’t in that class. Guys like Reece Willcox, Mark Friedman and David Drake see what those four are doing and learn from being around them, with Willcox saying, “I can take a few things from them every time I step on the ice with them.”
  12. This is a group of guys who love being around each other. Who knows, maybe it’s like that with the other franchises, but it’s always nice to see a sense of camaraderie around the younger guys. That will only heighten when they become teammates. You can see this connection of theirs from a few examples, such as Gostisbehere and Stolarz trekking down to Stone Harbor to hang out with the guys to Philippe Myers  fresh off surgery that kept him out of camp – coming down to Trial on the Isle to take in the experience with everyone.
  13. Sticking with Gostisbehere, his success last season has been an inspiration to everyone in camp. Multiple players have spoken on this, including goalie Felix Sandstrom, “I saw Ghost last year, he was here and now he is in the NHL so that motivates me to try to step it up and try to get even better.” Robert Hagg also echoed a similar sentiment, “That motivates yourself to hope you’re the next guy to get called up and have the same career.”
  14. The Trial on the Isle truly is a special event. It was my first experience there covering it and the amount of support and the open interaction among everyone really makes it a must-do for Flyers fans. The event also won’t be going anywhere. Jim McCrossin said there are no plans to take it anywhere but Stone Harbor. I can see why… that place is Flyerville. [PHOTOS | VIDEOS]
  15. Last but not least, I’ve been asked about who stood out… it’s impossible to judge anyone off of this camp. That being said, there’s a lot of skilled players with bright futures. You should start to see that come to fruition up in Lehigh Valley this season. That team is going to be loaded.

Enjoy........

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

15 takeaways from Flyers Development Camp

http://flyzette.com/2016/07/13/15-takeaways-from-flyers-development-camp/

There’s only so much you can take away from players performing the simplest of hockey drills with little to no contact on the ice.

That’s why Ron Hextall echoed the sentiment of development camp not being an evaluation but rather an opportunity to get the players back to the basics to prepare them for what’s ahead in training camp. Yet, there’s definitely some things you can pull here and there from being surrounded by 34 prospects for almost a week and from the conversations you have with those players.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but here’s what I came away with after the five days of on-ice training and the Trial on the Isle:

1. I’m more convinced that Ivan Provorov is here to stay than I thought coming in. Listening to him speak about his game and watching him on the ice – even in the most basic of drills – it sure seems like he’s poised for the NHL. Hextall said, “If a young kid makes us a better team than we will keep them. But if not, we will go with what we have.” In this case, I think it’ll be pretty tough to say Provorov doesn’t make this team better come October.
  2. Prospects seem to be following the team’s workout regimen. Between Travis Konecny and Travis Sanheim, Hextall is pleased with the amount of weight room work and nutrition his prospects have had. That’s great news, especially for Konecny as he builds a bigger frame for the physicality of the NHL. In Sanheim’s case, the nearly 25 pounds he’s put on since being drafted will make him even better on the puck and along the boards. Up and down, too, the prospects really did seem to be in peak shape at an early age. It should only go up from there.
  3. The Flyers have a gold mine of goalies. With three netminders picked in the second or third round in the last two drafts, including this year’s highest drafted goalie Carter Hart, the Flyers are looking extremely talented between the pipes. Add a potentially boom free agent signing out of college in Yale’s Alex Lyon to go along with Anthony Stolarz in Lehigh Valley and this organization is quite fruitful in the goalie department. One of those guys, possibly Hart, will be the No. 1 goalie on this team down the road, “We wouldn’t have picked a guy in the second round if we didn’t think he had a chance to be a No. 1 goalie. Carter has some special qualities.”
  4. For guys like Oskar Lindblom, Reece Willcox, Nicholas Aube-Kubel and Sanheim, the brief stints with Lehigh Valley really were beneficial. All four of those players specifically credited their experience in the AHL last season as major learning opportunities for what to expect next season. Sanheim said that, “being able to play against men before this season starts and into camp is definitely going to help.”
  5. Hextall has done well in drafting not just top talent, but good people. From a reporter’s perspective, it’s always enjoyable when a player is either well-spoken or open with what’s on their mind. I’d venture to say almost all of these guys at camp were in that category, which is something rare especially among high school and college-aged athletes. Carter Hart, Alex Lyon, Wade Allisonand Cole Bardreau, along with the top guys, all give you honest, insightful and in Allison’s case, entertaining, quotes.
  6. Bardreau will play in orange and black this season… but not at the start. Hextall really likes what he sees in the 23-year-old, “He’s strong. He plays like a man… he’s very irritating. If you’re on the other team you’re keeping your head up.” The general manager said when he watched him during drills, he had to go ‘wow’ a few times. If you make Hextall have that type of reaction, you’re going to find your way on the big club eventually. Look for him as a call-up during the season.
  7. Competition is a must for Hextall. I asked him following the signing of Roman Lyubinov about the abundance of bodies competing for a bottom six job, “There should be competition. If you don’t come in in good shape and don’t deserve to make it, you’re not going to make it.” The Flyers will have some difficult decisions to make in that group come October.
  8. Going with that, I don’t think Travis Konecny makes the team this season. Seeing how much progress he made last season in terms of his maturation and the approximate 10 pounds he put on, I’d expect Hextall to give him another year with Sarnia before unleashing him next summer. That being said, if he puts together an awe-inspiring camp – which he’s capable of – it’ll be hard for the Flyers to not keep him around (see No. 1 for rationale).
  9. Camp invites really learn a lot. There were four guys in camp that had no affiliation with the Flyers. For those few, this is a chance for them to learn in an NHL environment and prepare themselves for what’s ahead. In Mike Vecchione’s case, he’ll be using the knowledge he learned last week and carrying that into his senior season with Union, “It gives me a good amount of confidence. Going through this whole process was awesome.” The same can be said for guys like Ondrej Vala,Garrett McFadden and Brennan Menell.
  10. The blue line prospects are well aware of what the potential of this group can be. Even Shayne Gostisbehere says he keeps an eye on Provorov, believing what the Flyers are doing to be something special, “It’s cool. We’ve got a lot of good young D prospects, not just [Provorov and Sanheim]. You have [Robert] Hagg, Sam [Morin]… it’s cool to see everyone working hard.”
  11. Having that abundance of talented defensemen also benefits the other blueliners that aren’t in that class. Guys like Reece Willcox, Mark Friedman and David Drake see what those four are doing and learn from being around them, with Willcox saying, “I can take a few things from them every time I step on the ice with them.”
  12. This is a group of guys who love being around each other. Who knows, maybe it’s like that with the other franchises, but it’s always nice to see a sense of camaraderie around the younger guys. That will only heighten when they become teammates. You can see this connection of theirs from a few examples, such as Gostisbehere and Stolarz trekking down to Stone Harbor to hang out with the guys to Philippe Myers  fresh off surgery that kept him out of camp – coming down to Trial on the Isle to take in the experience with everyone.
  13. Sticking with Gostisbehere, his success last season has been an inspiration to everyone in camp. Multiple players have spoken on this, including goalie Felix Sandstrom, “I saw Ghost last year, he was here and now he is in the NHL so that motivates me to try to step it up and try to get even better.” Robert Hagg also echoed a similar sentiment, “That motivates yourself to hope you’re the next guy to get called up and have the same career.”
  14. The Trial on the Isle truly is a special event. It was my first experience there covering it and the amount of support and the open interaction among everyone really makes it a must-do for Flyers fans. The event also won’t be going anywhere. Jim McCrossin said there are no plans to take it anywhere but Stone Harbor. I can see why… that place is Flyerville. [PHOTOS | VIDEOS]
  15. Last but not least, I’ve been asked about who stood out… it’s impossible to judge anyone off of this camp. That being said, there’s a lot of skilled players with bright futures. You should start to see that come to fruition up in Lehigh Valley this season. That team is going to be loaded.

Enjoy........

well I guess that sums everything up very nicely. :)  Can't wait for September!

Archived