MacDonald, Light at end of Tunnel May not be Train

mojo1917

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45#.UZOrsSteup0

Bill Meltzer wrote this so it must be true.

Andrew MacDonald's contract may not be "immovable", because as we have read, Andrew is "definitely" an NHL player. 

He did turn down a big contract to get off the island, and was a hot commodity at the trade deadline.  

I, like many of you, wish our team had not "won" the bidding war , as I do not feel victorious about having our team allot 5 million dollars a year to the salary cap for him.  I do not think that is "good value"  I would be fine if we were paying him 3-3.5 though and did think he was one of the best players on his team in the playoffs the year before the Flyers traded for him.  I did not foresee his plummet to mediocrity until later in the contract.

If it is hard to judge the value/ability of a mature guy already in the league...in your division. How tough must it be to determine what 17 year old will pan out. just saying.

Who thinks it would be worth having 2 million bucks dead cap space for a couple-a-three more years to get rid of him ?

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Who thinks it would be worth having 2 million bucks dead cap space for a couple-a-three more years to get rid of him ?

as in, trade him and retain salary?  i'd say go for it, if you can find a taker.  i think he is a fair 4/5 dman at ~$3mil.  terrible at $5mil, but reduce the cost and who knows?

24 minutes ago, aziz said:

as in, trade him and retain salary?  i'd say go for it, if you can find a taker.  i think he is a fair 4/5 dman at ~$3mil.  terrible at $5mil, but reduce the cost and who knows?

yes, exactly like that. It opens up some more cap space, makes working young talent into the mix during the year more feasible. Maybe we get to see Robert Hagg as a call up if MacDonald is plying away in the Edmonton.

does the 2 million a year dead space hurt the team ? is that too much ?

Just now, mojo1917 said:

yes, exactly like that. It opens up some more cap space, makes working young talent into the mix during the year more feasible. Maybe we get to see Robert Hagg as a call up if MacDonald is plying away in the Edmonton.

Sure it hurts. But Not as much as 5 million would. Considering some want to just drop him to the AHL again, that's over 4 million in dead cap. I know what I would pick.

28 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

Life AJ said,  burying him in the A hurts more.   The Flyers have better blue line  options,  if they can knock a few million off their cap  number,  it only helps. 

6 minutes ago, aziz said:

Life AJ said,  burying him in the A hurts more.   The Flyers have better blue line  options,  if they can knock a few million off their cap  number,  it only helps. 

Not right now we don't

Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, etc...none of our young guys (aside from Provorov, but there's already space for him) are better than MacDonald right now

Until we are in dire need to make roster space, or need cap space, I'd hold onto him instead of forcing a trade and carrying dead cap space for X amount of years

45 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Until we are in dire need to make roster space, or need cap space, I'd hold onto him instead of forcing a trade and carrying dead cap space for X amount of years

I wonder how much the Schenn arbitration situation comes into play here...if he ends up getting more than the 5 mill a season he was anticipated getting, they may end up needing some cap space.

1 hour ago, RJ8812 said:

Not right now we don't

Morin, Sanheim, Hagg, etc...none of our young guys (aside from Provorov, but there's already space for him) are better than MacDonald right now

i disagree.  the spread between macdonald's effectiveness and his cap hit, to my mind, represents de facto "dead" space.  He is a $2.5mil player eating $5mil in space.  i feel the flyers have replacements of at least equal impact, available for less than macdonald's $2.5mil effective value, nevermind his full cap hit.

i'm not saying force a trade, but if something becomes available where you can reclaim most of that cap space, i wouldn't hesitate.  even if none of the kids are remotely ready, a league minimum FA signing for your bottom pair still puts the flyers ahead of where they are with macdonald.

3 hours ago, aziz said:

That's the thing. He's an NHL d man.  He wasn't in the minors because he was that bad. But bought the most refund for our buck.   He played well at the end and the playoffs despite the haters claiming otherwise.  He did well especially considering he had played in the minors so much and had to complement Ghost who does tend to create some coverage problems. 

His salary and duration were too much but it was at a time when crazy deals were just happening and this one wasn't crazy at the time. In fact Mac looked very very good between the trade and the new contract.   

I still point to Berube. The longer he (and everyone else) played under chief, the more foolish they looked.   I still dream of what might have been if homer hadn't gone that route.  No cups, but not as much shame either I'll wager. 

As as far as a trade goes, it's probably worth it. It's a long time and we really should have a log jam at the position.  the Vegas draft is an ideal but not sure if he can waive the NMC to become eligible.  My guess is no. 

Conversely, we could find ourselves in a position of having one vet d man after this season so there's that to consider. 

Id sooner keep Schultz but beggars can't be choosers. 

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Sure it hurts. But Not as much as 5 million would. Considering some want to just drop him to the AHL again, that's over 4 million in dead cap. I know what I would pick.

exactly my line of thinking AJ... although, I am really not sure who would be willing to pick him up.  If someone would be willing to take him w/ retained salary I would do it in a heartbeat.

although, reading the article this scares the heck out of me:

" 1) Paul Holmgren did not just "stick" Ron Hextall with the contract. Hextall, who was named GM shortly afterwards, was very much involved in the negotiation and was agreed to the deal. If there is blame to be assigned for what has turned into an unfavorable deal for the Flyers, it is a shared one.  "

2 hours ago, King Knut said:

He wasn't in the minors because he was that bad.

Yeah he was in the minors because he wasn't that good!:beer:

I'm a glass half full type of guy..........do it i can live with 2.5 dead cap space it would match his dead space between his ears. It's time to move on.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yeah he was in the minors because he wasn't that good!:beer:

I'm a glass half full type of guy..........do it i can live with 2.5 dead cap space it would match his dead space between his ears. It's time to move on.

True... But very few NHL players are THAT good.  Friggin' homerdeals

On July 20, 2016 at 1:46 PM, aziz said:

i disagree.  the spread between macdonald's effectiveness and his cap hit, to my mind, represents de facto "dead" space.  He is a $2.5mil player eating $5mil in space.  i feel the flyers have replacements of at least equal impact, available for less than macdonald's $2.5mil effective value, nevermind his full cap hit.

i'm not saying force a trade, but if something becomes available where you can reclaim most of that cap space, i wouldn't hesitate.  even if none of the kids are remotely ready, a league minimum FA signing for your bottom pair still puts the flyers ahead of where they are with macdonald.

Well if you could find a trading partner for MacDonald, the Flyers could possibly sign a FA defensemen like James Wisniewski who is a right-handed shooting defensemen who isn't any worse than MacDonald. Since Carolina bought out Wisniewski and is getting $3.5 million from Carolina this coming season that maybe he could sign a one year deal for around $1 million to $1.5 million if no one else shows interest in him.

Archived