Morin Sent Down

King Knut

I think we assumed it was coming after Gudas wasn't suspended, but I at least am encouraged that if they're able to make trades, Morin can come up and be a (mostly) responsible contributor. 

Barring that giveaway against the Rangers, he had a pretty strong preseason IMHO.  It wasn't marked by the physicality of last year, but instead by fairly consistent and responsible play.  

I think Hextall can now feel free to pull the trigger on trading any of the vets he can bar MDZ... who is another can of worms for another thread.  

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

I think we assumed it was coming after Gudas wasn't suspended, but I at least am encouraged that if they're able to make trades, Morin can come up and be a (mostly) responsible contributor. 

Barring that giveaway against the Rangers, he had a pretty strong preseason IMHO.  It wasn't marked by the physicality of last year, but instead by fairly consistent and responsible play.  

I think Hextall can now feel free to pull the trigger on trading any of the vets he can bar MDZ... who is another can of worms for another thread.  

Nice post.

Yeah, I liked what I saw.  He had an up/down game against the Rangers, but all players will have that on any given night.  Unfortunate for him that it happened at the end of his audition.   But I'm comfortable with his coming up if there's a trade or injury.  I'd rather he continue to improve at the AHL than sit as #7 in the press box for now.

5 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Nice post.

Yeah, I liked what I saw.  He had an up/down game against the Rangers, but all players will have that on any given night.  Unfortunate for him that it happened at the end of his audition.   But I'm comfortable with his coming up if there's a trade or injury.  I'd rather he continue to improve at the AHL than sit as #7 in the press box for now.

Agreed   It should make potential trades of Schultz and Streit easier for Hextall to go for as well.

And we also have Sanheim we can call upon. It's nice to have two different types of prospects to bring up depending on need.

I could see Morin getting the call if, say, Schultz or Gudas gets injured. Similarly, maybe Sanheim gets a shot if Ghost or Streit get injured.

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

And we also have Sanheim we can call upon. It's nice to have two different types of prospects to bring up depending on need.

I could see Morin getting the call if, say, Schultz or Gudas gets injured. Similarly, maybe Sanheim gets a shot if Ghost or Streit get injured.

Sadly, I didn't get to see Sanheim play, so all I'm basing this question on is that he got sent down before Morin.  Have you gotten to eyeball him at all?   Does he look as ready as Morin?

20 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Sadly, I didn't get to see Sanheim play, so all I'm basing this question on is that he got sent down before Morin.  Have you gotten to eyeball him at all?   Does he look as ready as Morin?

I did watch a game with Sanheim and he got one or two assists, I think. He played well offensively, but I admit I didn't pay enough attention to him (don't even know his number lol) in the defensive end.

FWIW, the write ups I have seen on Sanheim all point to the need for him to round out and tighten up his defensive game.

EDIT: 

I also just realized how exciting it is to have Morin and Sanheim as first callups instead of the likes of Tollefson, Krajicek, Parent, Syvret, Marshall, Bourdon, Jones, Modry, Vandermeer, and all the other garbage we've collected over the years.

23 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Agreed   It should make potential trades of Schultz and Streit easier for Hextall to go for as well.

Yes having option gives you leverage.

It's a nice change. 

Hextall inherited a mess he has slowly changed that and cleaned it up.

Maybe he would make a better choice for president than the two we currently have he's proven he can clean up a mess....

5 minutes ago, brelic said:

I did watch a game with Sanheim and he got one or two assists, I think. He played well offensively, but I admit I didn't pay enough attention to him (don't even know his number lol) in the defensive end.

FWIW, the write ups I have seen on Sanheim all point to the need for him to round out and tighten up his defensive game.

EDIT: 

I also just realized how exciting it is to have Morin and Sanheim as first callups instead of the likes of Tollefson, Krajicek, Parent, Syvret, Marshall, Bourdon, Jones, Modry, Vandermeer, and all the other garbage we've collected over the years.

What how dare you forget the great Bruno Gervais!!! 

:beer:

7 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes having option gives you leverage.

It's a nice change. 

Maybe he would make a better choice for president than the two we currently have he's proven he can clean up a mess....

If only he wasn't Canadian.

Nah, Hexy has actual problems to fix.  Realistically, things just aren't that bad.   

In the Grand Scheme of things, we're like the Black Hawks if the Black Hawks played in a league without the Sharks, Kings, Stars Penguins or Lightning.  They might lose a few games once in a while, but they're still head and shoulders above the rest.  

Writ large, there is a future to ponder that's pretty to very bright. Bre pretty much nailed it. The play for today approach netted us good overall winning percentages but very unsatisfying post-seasons. Lehigh Valley should be very strong this year. There are some blue chippers we can grow with.  Once Streit and Schulz are gone, and we have a less expensive backup--there is more room to run.  

My only concern for the coming season, and I've said it before, is that we won't be able to surprise anyone. The league is going to take this outfit more seriously. 

Peace,

Howie

1 hour ago, brelic said:

I doubt it. Brennan will probably get the call before Sanheim. Morin though, with the camp he's had, has better shot at being recalled 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Maybe  HE WOULD make a better choice for president than the two we currently have he's proven he can clean up a mess....

Fixed it for ya.......

Archived