Blow this mess up or stay course!

Jam1986

10 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I think you could get him for Mason they need a goalie.

Jake Allen is struggling and I can't see them letting their playoff lives ride with Carter Hutton.

PULL THAT TRIGGER.    Seriously.  I love Mason, I wouldn't mind resigning him for 3 years or so, but right now he's just not buying us much.  Bring Stolie back up and platoon him and Neuvy until Neuvy gets hurt and then lean on the rookie and see how he bends.  

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

He's not going to get picked up in the Expansion draft.  That's not the idea.  He's too expensive.  The idea is just to be able to protect whoever they want.  They have to expose someone who meets the requirements, and if they can get Mac to meet the requirements they can expose him and protect the three remaining D men under contract leaving Vegas with the only real option of drafting a forward (if that is Hextall manages to sign a goalie to expose as well), otherwise Vegas will take Stolarz.  And yes... If I'm vegas, I'm definitely taking Stolarz over ANY of the fowards we'd potentially expose.  

I do have my fears about Hextall sending him back to the Phantoms though.  Hakstol really seems devoted to using him and I get why.  

He's not good, but he's at least capably bad.  Like he's not on the far side of the other blue line when you need him in front of your net out of position.  He's a fairly above average player from the hashes out IMHO, it's just that behind the hashes is where this team needs quality right now, the problem is no one on the roster right now is really going to be any better there than Mac.  

It's just the state of affairs.  So yeah... I guess the point is that with all these "think it over and learn" benchings happening, Mac's never been among those.  Maybe now at the very least, he can be.  

I get that but a 5M dman riding the bench is a complete disaster and really handcuffs you moving forward.   It is a tough spot for sure...  if they are not going to send him back to the AHL then things get more difficult.   

Just now, King Knut said:

PULL THAT TRIGGER.    Seriously.  I love Mason, I wouldn't mind resigning him for 3 years or so, but right now he's just not buying us much.  Bring Stolie back up and platoon him and Neuvy until Neuvy gets hurt and then lean on the rookie and see how he bends.  

I'd do it. Mase would look good with their blueline in front of him then when he wins a Cup we can have countless thread after thread of everyone bitching about "Why did we let Mason go so soon and blah blah blah...."

thread after thread after thread the Philly way!!!!!!!

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'd do it. Mase would look good with their blueline in front of him then when he wins a Cup we can have countless thread after thread of everyone bitching about "Why did we let Mason go so soon and blah blah blah...."

thread after thread after thread the Philly way!!!!!!!

If he wins a cup, we can overpay for him on July 1.  Also the Flyers way!  

Just now, King Knut said:

If he wins a cup, we can overpay for him on July 1.  Also the Flyers way!  

I think if they decide to move Mason he could be a huge chip. Just what teams would want. A guy who could lead them in the playoffs and isn't signed beyond this year. In fact I could see a bidding war.

Like I said Blues need him and with his old goalie coach in Dallas the could need him know they don't trust what they already have...and those two are just off the top of my head.

39 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If I'm Hextall, I'm willing to part with Hagg or Alt and a pick. 

Quite frankly, if I'm St. Louis I'm not going to stop laughing at that offer for a loooooong time.

IMO, there is simply no way that a second/third tier prospect and any sort of pick returns Shattenkirk. There will be better offers for him, if he's truly available, much like there will be better offers than the $7M/3-4 year deals I've seen bandied about.

23 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well I think you could get him for Mason they need a goalie.

Jake Allen is struggling and I can't see them letting their playoff lives ride with Carter Hutton.

Mason is an interesting idea and I think is predicated on how STL values it's goaltending. But this is the same organization that (arguably) overpaid for Miller so they could be a little gun shy.

20 minutes ago, radoran said:

But this is the same organization that (arguably) overpaid for Miller so they could be a little gun shy.

Sure i give you that i was just throwing it ou there...i like the idea i presented earlier It would go a long the line of building a core to grow together...

Alright so if i trade Mason to Dallas it would have to center on Roope Hintz 

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92117

This kid would be a good fit at left wing and give them their Finn they have been missing...

OR

Riley Tufte

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=291903

KId is huge talk about adding size 6-5 and growing....

So if i move Mason to Dallas one of these kids need to come the other way...

Shatty could be a costly bidding war that would require a lot of pieces i don't want to part with....

In fact how about Roope Hintz and a ND guy like Rhett Gardner in return we know Hak likes them ND boys!!!

29 minutes ago, radoran said:

Quite frankly, if I'm St. Louis I'm not going to stop laughing at that offer for a loooooong time.

IMO, there is simply no way that a second/third tier prospect and any sort of pick returns Shattenkirk. There will be better offers for him, if he's truly available, much like there will be better offers than the $7M/3-4 year deals I've seen bandied about.

Mason is an interesting idea and I think is predicated on how STL values it's goaltending. But this is the same organization that (arguably) overpaid for Miller so they could be a little gun shy.

If you're St. Louis, you're absolutely screwed in the Shattenkirk situation, so you'd start laughing and then end up crying.  Their cap situation is much worse in the next few years than the Flyers.   They may have to end up accepting a good array of picks.

Their next best option would be trading him to someplace like Pittsburgh for Fleury and picks (if Pitt can get him to waive his NMC) or to the Rangers for Raanta and a prospect and picks.  They could also try Boston for Rask (again with the NMC) and prospects/picks but Boston would probably have to retain some Rask Salary because the Blues don't have that kind of room.    

While we're being Frank, Frankly, I'd totally do Mason, Alt/Hagg and a Pick for Shattenkirk... IF I could talk to his agent and had some vague idea of being able to sign him.  Rental player for a rental player and each might sign a longer deal that their new teams could afford.  Win for everyone.

I'm just saying that forwards like Schenn or Couturier don't help St. Louis at all as they have a ton of pretty good forwards on decent contracts as it is.  What they'll need after they lose Shattenkirk is young, cheap, good D (and as you point out, a goalie).   

39 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

I think if they decide to move Mason he could be a huge chip. Just what teams would want. A guy who could lead them in the playoffs and isn't signed beyond this year. In fact I could see a bidding war.

Like I said Blues need him and with his old goalie coach in Dallas the could need him know they don't trust what they already have...and those two are just off the top of my head.

Sure, DO IT!

Who'd we want on Dallas? 

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

Sure, DO IT!

Who'd we want on Dallas? 

I wouldn't be shocked with the Leafs losing O'reilly to injury they try to get out front and pull the trigger on a trade to get Shatty they needed Blueline help before he got hurt. They have a lot of shiny pieces to trade at forward.

12 minutes ago, King Knut said:

If you're St. Louis, you're absolutely screwed in the Shattenkirk situation, so you'd start laughing and then end up crying.  Their cap situation is much worse in the next few years than the Flyers.   They may have to end up accepting a good array of picks.

Their next best option would be trading him to someplace like Pittsburgh for Fleury and picks (if Pitt can get him to waive his NMC) or to the Rangers for Raanta and a prospect and picks.  They could also try Boston for Rask (again with the NMC) and prospects/picks but Boston would probably have to retain some Rask Salary because the Blues don't have that kind of room.    

While we're being Frank, Frankly, I'd totally do Mason, Alt/Hagg and a Pick for Shattenkirk... IF I could talk to his agent and had some vague idea of being able to sign him.  Rental player for a rental player and each might sign a longer deal that their new teams could afford.  Win for everyone.

I'm just saying that forwards like Schenn or Couturier don't help St. Louis at all as they have a ton of pretty good forwards on decent contracts as it is.  What they'll need after they lose Shattenkirk is young, cheap, good D (and as you point out, a goalie).   

I just think that the market is going to be a little pricier than you do for Shattenkirk - and I don't think teams will be thinking a straight "rental."

I would do Mason, Alt/Hagg and pick for Shattenkirk. I just don't think that gets it done in a seller's market. And I completely agree that there's nothing much in the forward ranks that STL will be looking for.

That said, if it turns into a buyer's market, all bets are off.

And this is just "deadline" talk. If it gets to the point where STL keeps him and is looking to deal "rights" then you might see something more like you're outlining (Alt/Hagg/pick) as they look to get "something" rather than "nothing."

I still don't believe Alt has any value at all and Hagg only marginally more.

5 minutes ago, radoran said:

I just think that the market is going to be a little pricier than you do for Shattenkirk - and I don't think teams will be thinking a straight "rental."

I would do Mason, Alt/Hagg and pick for Shattenkirk. I just don't think that gets it done in a seller's market. And I completely agree that there's nothing much in the forward ranks that STL will be looking for.

That said, if it turns into a buyer's market, all bets are off.

And this is just "deadline" talk. If it gets to the point where STL keeps him and is looking to deal "rights" then you might see something more like you're outlining (Alt/Hagg/pick) as they look to get "something" rather than "nothing."

I still don't believe Alt has any value at all and Hagg only marginally more.

Well if they can get a kin's ransom, they absolutely should.  It's just that it almost has to come in the form of picks and prospects because of their cap situation.

That combined with their Forward situation looking good compared to their D situation looking bad. Not only do we not have much they could use (maybe Schenn) but they don't need them.  They've got a lot tied up in their top 6 right now and no one we have is going to make them better up front.  

But if they can do better and meet their needs they absolutely should do that rather than settle for Alt/Hagg from us (who I agree hold little actual value, but might be shine-up-able to sweeten a deal).

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

He said that I'm brilliant and my thoughts made a lot of sense to him and Hextall should hire me to help out.

Oh and something else I couldn't make out either. 

Well, for whatever it's worth, your thoughts do make a lot of sense.   I really enjoy your posts.  We sometimes disagree on nuance, that kind of thing, but you make great points.

5 hours ago, King Knut said:

Here's the thing about Giroux (and I'm gonna take hell for this).

The stakes just don't seem to be there.  

I mentioned this a while back in my fears about them missing the playoffs this year and what that would do to their mind sets, and I got pushback, but I truly believe it. 

I thought this little hidden gem was spot on.

As for the "what now?"  I found it interesting that the point was made that we needed younger players and then cite teams that ALL have older average ages than the Flyers.    At least I think that's what was being said.

Anyway, I too wonder about Giroux.   I have for a couple years.  Not panic button wonder, but still concern none-the-less.  I'm not sure whether in general, but Rad expressed concern about giving him the captaincy right out of the gate.  I suppose the question "if not him then who?" is a good one.   I also suppose the actual C is often over-exaggerated.   But still, this team could use an emotional leader.  Not one full of emotion, necessarily, but one that can step forward and smooth some of these valleys the team goes through.  One that can inspire rather than fall into malaise right along with them (if not lead them there).  The guy seems to get frustrated fairly easily and can funk.  

During their earlier Cup, the Penguins brought in some vets to help the team with a young Crosby.   Guys in roles that could be the "I've been in these trenches, follow me."   Maybe that was the point to VLC.  I don't know.    This is part of the reason Giroux did so much better with Jagr here (aside from just the talent he brought).   But I don't think we have that here right now.  Streit has the age, but he's never actually been on a good team. At some point, that will be an important ingredient if it isn't already.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

TSN’s Trade Bait list is goaltender heavy. But with only Dallas, St. Louis and maybe Calgary would be looking for an upgrade, it is surely a buyer’s market, making Marc-Andre Fleury likely to stick in Pittsburgh for a run at a third Stanley Cup.

Philadelphia’s Steve Mason might be the best value buy for Dallas. He is a pending unrestricted free agent who played his best hockey under current Stars goaltending coach Jeff Reese. With nearly the same number of shots faced (3,000) in both stints, Mason sported a .925 save percentage while Reese was in Philadelphia, but has just a .913 save percentage since Reese’s abrupt departure from the team on March 7, 2015.

http://www.tsn.ca/all-eyes-on-the-avs-as-trade-deadline-approaches-1.652111

HHHHhhhhhhhhhmmmm not a bad idea but what would come back to Philly. I don't want either of their goaltenders.

I read that as well. Mason would be a good fit in Dallas. I agree about not wanting one of their goalies. They can move Niemi or Lehtonen elsewhere. I'm sure there's a team out there that could use one of those guys to expose in the expansion draft. If Philly does move Mason, I don't know what they would get in return. Brett Ritchie would certainly be a nice addition. I'd also be content with a draft pick Just get the salary off the book, open up a spot for goaltender on the main roster and see what happens with Stolarz and Neuvirth splitting duties.

6 hours ago, King Knut said:

Here's the thing about Giroux (and I'm gonna take hell for this).

The stakes just don't seem to be there.  

I mentioned this a while back in my fears about them missing the playoffs this year and what that would do to their mind sets, and I got pushback, but I truly believe it. 

These guys, and Giroux in particular have had to make themselves okay with losing too much.  They've had to reconcile themselves with that too often.  They're used to it.  It's not as disgusting and gut wrenching an experience for them anymore.

Remember when he was a rookie and Giroux screwed up against the Penguins and it probably cost them the game?  I remember reading about how Claude was so mortified that Stevens had to talk him down after the game instead of reading him the riot act for screwing up.   Claude was already reading himself the riot act.  But that was 20 year old Claude.  He's had 6 straight years of failures to get used to that feeling.  Do we really think he's going to need the coach to talk him down after he screws up now?

Everyone here hates Richards, but that guy, Pronger, Primeau... those dudes would do anything to win.  Maybe Richards got hooked on pills and Pronger was a bit of an arse to his team mates, but those guys ABSOLUTELY HATED LOSING.   It killed them.

Can we really say the same of Claude, Jake and Simmer?    Of the three I think Jake and Simmer still seem to have the most fire int heir bellies, but even they seem to be able to reconcile themselves with a bad loss or a missed playoffs when those come.

Nope, you aren't going to take hell for this. I'm with you dude.

Great leaders don't settle for mediocrity and they hate losing more than they like winning. That's why a guy like Mark Messier or Chris Pronger were so well suited for the captaincy - they hated losing and they held guys accountable for losing. I don't see that in Giroux. I see a quiet leader that lets his play on the ice do the talking. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there needs to be a guy in the locker room that is not afraid to rip and tear on people for not doing their jobs.

That's why part of me has no problem moving Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds. They all give the same answers after a game and they just don't seem to have that level of 'hate' for losing so to speak. I'm also onboard with moving Schenn and Couturier for that exact same reason. Give me a guy with passion, give me a guy with leadership and give me a guy who absolutely hates losing. I think we have that in Konecny and I think having him as a building block and a core piece going forward is integral. Eventually, Pascal Laberge and Wade Allison will make their way here and they also hate losing more than they like winning. Allison is a big reason why Western Michigan has turned their program around. One more heart and soul guy with skill will certainly help fill this club out.

16 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Nope, you aren't going to take hell for this. I'm with you dude.

Great leaders don't settle for mediocrity and they hate losing more than they like winning. That's why a guy like Mark Messier or Chris Pronger were so well suited for the captaincy - they hated losing and they held guys accountable for losing. I don't see that in Giroux. I see a quiet leader that lets his play on the ice do the talking. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but there needs to be a guy in the locker room that is not afraid to rip and tear on people for not doing their jobs.

That's why part of me has no problem moving Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds. They all give the same answers after a game and they just don't seem to have that level of 'hate' for losing so to speak. I'm also onboard with moving Schenn and Couturier for that exact same reason  

I don't know that you need to move quite so many guys.  I think adding one spark plug of a vet to show G up in the locker room and with his effort on the ice (of not even with his results) is all you need. 

Claude was still just a kid with potential until Jagr showed up.  That really awoke his skills and his fire. 

but I'm even wondering now if the yanking of Laviolette did even more damage to Claude. 

It it was in that ridiculous aftermath that Claude made the playoff vow and I'll be Damond if he didn't deliver.  But it was also in this time that he was getting supportive texts from Richards bolstering his confidence and encouraging him to fight through the slump. 

I don't  know.  I just want to see him pissed off about losing again. He's way too okay with it. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Well, for whatever it's worth, your thoughts do make a lot of sense.   I really enjoy your posts.  We sometimes disagree on nuance, that kind of thing, but you make great points.

I thought this little hidden gem was spot on.

As for the "what now?"  I found it interesting that the point was made that we needed younger players and then cite teams that ALL have older average ages than the Flyers.    At least I think that's what was being said.

Anyway, I too wonder about Giroux.   I have for a couple years.  Not panic button wonder, but still concern none-the-less.  I'm not sure whether in general, but Rad expressed concern about giving him the captaincy right out of the gate.  I suppose the question "if not him then who?" is a good one.   I also suppose the actual C is often over-exaggerated.   But still, this team could use an emotional leader.  Not one full of emotion, necessarily, but one that can step forward and smooth some of these valleys the team goes through.  One that can inspire rather than fall into malaise right along with them (if not lead them there).  The guy seems to get frustrated fairly easily and can funk.  

During their earlier Cup, the Penguins brought in some vets to help the team with a young Crosby.   Guys in roles that could be the "I've been in these trenches, follow me."   Maybe that was the point to VLC.  I don't know.    This is part of the reason Giroux did so much better with Jagr here (aside from just the talent he brought).   But I don't think we have that here right now.  Streit has the age, but he's never actually been on a good team. At some point, that will be an important ingredient if it isn't already.

Thanks Rux

i totally agree about Jagr. 

I think Giroux got the C literally for scoring 90+ points and then for "the shift" 

the problem is is he doesn't have that game most nights now.  

As as He said in response elsewhere, delivering on the playoff promise Chief's first year was a great first step, but I really wonder how much he's just lost confidence in his coach after having Lavvy yanked out from under him (pointlessly-as homer even said it wasn't because Lavvy was doing anything wrong), having Chief clearly not know what the hell he was doing and having Hakstol change things so damn much all ththe to heads are spinning. 

the C could have gone to Kimmo. Probably should have.  He wasn't going to stick around forever st that age... three years as C, THEN pass it on to G. 

Still, even now a support vet who just gives a damn could do wonders for this team. 

30 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I don't know that you need to move quite so many guys.  I think adding one spark plug of a vet to show G up in the locker room and with his effort on the ice (of not even with his results) is all you need. 

Claude was still just a kid with potential until Jagr showed up.  That really awoke his skills and his fire. 

but I'm even wondering now if the yanking of Laviolette did even more damage to Claude. 

It it was in that ridiculous aftermath that Claude made the playoff vow and I'll be Damond if he didn't deliver.  But it was also in this time that he was getting supportive texts from Richards bolstering his confidence and encouraging him to fight through the slump. 

I don't  know.  I just want to see him pissed off about losing again. He's way too okay with it. 

Sounds like you're talking about Shane Doan.

He learned from some of the best. Keith Tchuk (i know I butchered that) Jeremy Roenick and one of my favs Teppo Numminen.

7 hours ago, King Knut said:

My best bet would be to bring in a guy like Justin Williams or Jagr.

Remember, the had Jagr here for a year.....decided to put all their eggs in the basket to go after Weber.  No offer to Jagr at all..and when the Weber offer fell through when NSH rightfully matched...well Jagr's ship had sailed.

IMO...one of the biggest blunders in this teams history. 

Good thread.

Upon consideration, I find myself in the don't blow up category, if by blow up we mean jettisoning some combo involving something like 4-5 of: G, Simmer, Schenn, Coots, Jake.  Plus the shedding of contracts and players on D....

Ok, here's why I'm against that: the grass is always greener. It's too easy a solution. A blunt object (NTTAWWT). 

The harder work is to figure out "what can be done?" (to paraphrase Lenin) with the decent core that we do have: G, Simmer, Jake, all of whom I still like *as hockey players," i.e., the skills and attributes of those players.

But strategically, my approach would be to start with a decision in goal. Let's make that decision and make it now. Start there and build the team out with the D that we will have in 2-3 years because we drafted well. 

I'd keep Mason. I don't know why.

You'll never get Doan out of Arizona. He's had multiple opportunities to leave and never has. I don't know who is available out there that fits the bill of a guy who will take players to task in the locker room, but finding a guy like that is something they could definitely use. 

I don't blow it up. Gotta let it all shake out over the next couple of years. 

Let Vandevelde and Gordon walk next season. Re-sign Lyubimov. Maybe Bellemare. 

Consider using a draft pick or B prospect to move MacDonald. It's a crappy use of an asset, but it's an even crappier use of your cap space. You don't NEED to get rid of him, so don't overpay just to make it happen, but it does make life easier in the coming years. I treat a buyout as an absolute last resort. If Jamie Benn is willing to sign with you by you need an extra 1 mil, yeah, buy out MacDonald. Otherwise, I'd rather have his full hit off the books in three years, rather than part of it over the next 6.

I don't know what to make of Weise. By rights, his numbers should be better. His lines play on the right side of the ice. He just isn't getting the puck luck where it comes to goals - he should be at around 6 (historical shot percentage), not great, but better, and more in line with his production over the past few years. He's not expensive though, so he's not really hurting you down the road, even if he ends up relegated to the 4th line or Lehigh.

Flyers next year are 22 million under the cap. They'll need to re-sign Ghost and find a goaltender (Be it Mason, Neuvirth, or someone else) and a veteran defenseman, but they should still have around 8-10 million in cap space with no terribly enticing free agent targets. They can consider a deal like Carolina or Arizona made in the offseason, taking on a contract from a contender in order to get a piece they can use. For example, taking on Valteri Filpula's contract from Tampa (5 million for one year, they only have 12 million in space and a bunch of guys to sign again), with something desirable coming their way.

So this offseason should be the first one where things can really start to take shape. Deadline's only a bit over a month away, so there should be some indication of where things are on March 1. Do some of the D go and get replaced with Phantoms? Does Hexy stand pat? A lot will depend on the state of the team over the next month, but a fall in the standings will almost certainly mean deadline casualties, which probably isn't a bad thing going forward.

2 hours ago, pilldoc said:

Remember, the had Jagr here for a year.....decided to put all their eggs in the basket to go after Weber.  No offer to Jagr at all..and when the Weber offer fell through when NSH rightfully matched...well Jagr's ship had sailed.

IMO...one of the biggest blunders in this teams history. 

You've hit on my favorite pet peeve.  That summer was the final undoing.  The trades, bryz, even Bob were survivable.  All the ridiculous deals they made trying to recover what they lost in Jagr and Carle are what destroyed this team. 

JVR for Luke Schenn

Grossman, Streit, Schultz, MacDonald, VLC just to name a few that might not have been necessary. 

Also so you forgot that Weber was actually the backup plan.  Homer blew Jagr and Clarke going for Parise and Suter who had both made it pretty clear already they weren't coming to Philly. 

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Good thread.

Upon consideration, I find myself in the don't blow up category, if by blow up we mean jettisoning some combo involving something like 4-5 of: G, Simmer, Schenn, Coots, Jake.  Plus the shedding of contracts and players on D....

Ok, here's why I'm against that: the grass is always greener. It's too easy a solution. A blunt object (NTTAWWT). 

The harder work is to figure out "what can be done?" (to paraphrase Lenin) with the decent core that we do have: G, Simmer, Jake, all of whom I still like *as hockey players," i.e., the skills and attributes of those players.

But strategically, my approach would be to start with a decision in goal. Let's make that decision and make it now. Start there and build the team out with the D that we will have in 2-3 years because we drafted well. 

I'd keep Mason. I don't know why.

I honestly think they're just 2-3 players away. 

A vet D man and a forward with a shot.  

The third would be either a2nd vet d man whose cheaper or a cagey angry vet who can light a fire under them. 

Shattenkirk and Scuderi or Oduya

i honestly don't think it matters terribly what they do with the goalies.  As long as they sign someone to expose and protect stolarz. 

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Sounds like you're talking about Shane Doan.

He learned from some of the best. Keith Tchuk (i know I butchered that) Jeremy Roenick and one of my favs Teppo Numminen.

40 is a bit old. I was thinking Justin Williams who will be UFA and 35. 

Oshie isnalso UFA, but younger and having a good year so he'll probably command much more money at a longer deal. 

Bith also tend to play on the right side which won't help (other than replace Read who I expect to be drafted by Vegas). 

Archived