Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Filppula was on the list of players exempt from the expansion draft (ie, needed to be protected). But, he waived his NMC, so it might not still be in effect - clubs have the option to honor it, and often players won't waive if the acquiring club refuses to keep the clause.

Well now, the Flyers "did something" how's everyone feel ?

I don't see the point to this deal on it's own.

If it is part of some other thing, then alright, but all and all I'd be fine with letting Striet walk and having 5m off the cap.

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

A better question might be: Why the hell would Filppula want to play in Philly instead of Toronto?  

Toronto has a great young core of players and is trending upward in a big way. Philly seems to be about to rebuild again.

Filppula = idiot.  Hope he breaks his leg or something in his first game. 

So....I'm putting you down as not being a Filppula fan.

19 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

You would think we could have gotten at least a 2nd.  This helps the Bolts a lot more than us.  Not going to hate on it though.

Neither team is likely to make the playoffs so IMHO it's possible Tampa needed some cap room for something they intend to go for in the off season.  Or maybe just to resign Tyler Johnson.  

In that way I think it does help them more than us.  

1 minute ago, mojo1917 said:

If it is part of some other thing, then alright, but all and all I'd be fine with letting Striet walk and having 5m off the cap.

I will go first:

1.  We resigned the worst statistal goaltender in the league and gave him a 1M raise.   He also happens to be hurt all the time and can't manage to stay in the lineup.

2.  We gave a 100% raise to a pretty standard 4th line that has 6 points.

3.  We traded for a vet that really has fallen off a cliff statistics wise and we have his 5M for another year.   In return we got a 4th rounder and also a conditional 7th.   So, we traded and asset that is now offset by Filp's contract and we have it for another year.  The only thing that would make sense is if we traded Streit for picks.   No roster players should have been acquired if they were not a UFA.   Seriously, how does this one help?   We gets picks but give 5M for another year and we have to cover part of Streits contract this year?

Notes:   If I keep hearing that "well, he could be exposed at the draft" as reasoning I might just laugh.  How many ****** Flyers are we hoping now to be picked in the expansion?!?!?  

Hextall is a fukcing idiot....

2 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

I don't hate the move. The day just makes very little sense unless something more happens, though it could admittedly happen in the off-season.

What this does do is shift Couturier down and Schenn permanently (well, for a season) to the wing. Or opens up a trade of Schenn or Couturier.

The more I think about it though, the return probably isn't bad. Filppula CAN play, he's not terrible, it's just that Tampa needed to move his contract, and I thought that you could get more than a conditional 7th (I figure Streit garnered the 4th).

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I will go first:

1.  We resigned the worst statistal goaltender in the league and gave him a 1M raise.   He also happens to be hurt all the time and can't manage to stay in the lineup.

3.  We traded for a vet that really has fallen off a cliff statistics wise and we have his 5M for another year.   In return we got a 4th rounder and also a conditional 7th.   So, we traded and asset that is now offset by Filp's contract and we have it for another year.  The only thing that would make sense is if we traded Streit for picks.   No roster players should have been acquired if they were not a UFA.   Seriously, how does this one help?   We gets picks but give 5M for another year and we have to cover part of Streits contract this year?

Notes:   If I keep hearing that "well, he could be exposed at the draft" as reasoning I might just laugh.  How many ****** Flyers are we hoping now to be picked in the expansion?!?!?  

4.  I'm willing to accept the possibility that Hextall might be taking a few things into consideration that we aren't exactly aware of.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

4.  I'm willing to accept the possibility that Hextall might be taking a few things into consideration that we aren't exactly aware of.  

i hope so... but as it stands today I really dont think today was good - AT ALL.

Filp will help... he is a good setup guy but really is not a scorer.  he is not going to set the world on fire and is past his prime.   We will see but today is more confusing than anything...

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

I will go first:

I have lost my trust in Hexy after THIS.. this is his only move??? why bother.. let's just maintain the crappiness they've had.  LOL they can't move G or Jake, they're over paid super under performers.  This team is locked in mediocrity for the forseeable future at best. 

WTH Flyers!

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Why would you think that...because of his awesome track record? 

6 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Technically I'm glad the move didn't happen, because I would never want to give up a young player or draft pick for Filppula, but it's his attitude that bugs me.  

Seriously?

.....wow.....

Thank you for correcting my spelling by the way.

Just now, murraycraven said:

LOL... the Flyers only retained 4.7% of Streits contract so TB could fit him under the cap...

Well, that makes more sense.

At first blush this says:

1) Mason is gone;

2) Some of our centers will be trade bait;

3) MDZ is part of our future;

4) We are a team of expensive has beens or never will bes that nobody wants; abd

5) The rot is so deep our GM can only make marginal moves that will take ages for impact.

I think Rad, Murray C and I did some analytics a few weeks ago...PEB is actually pretty cost-effective relative to Coots controlling for salary, TOI.  Coots probably warranted a trade but who the hell will pay for his services.  

This will take a few Merlots to figure out later today.

i hope so... but as it stands today I really dont think today was good.

Filp will help... he is not going to set the world on fire and is past his prime.   We will see but today is more confusing than anything...

I suspect part of what we saw today was our asking prices were too high on guys like MacDonald and Del Zotto, and maybe even a Couturier. 

5 minutes ago, icehole said:

Why would you think that...because of his awesome track record? 

His track record has been consistently ulterior.  

Except for resigning Jake, pretty much every move he's made has been to achieve a goal other than the move for its own sake.  

it is called blind faith... there is a large portion of the fan base that thinks Hextall can do no wrong.

Exactly, check out the Flyers Reddit page. If you even hint minor criticism you will be downvoted out of existence. 

Hockeybuzz isn't much better either. 

Archived