Reported that Mark Friedman will forgo senior and sign @ Flyers

Lunatic

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see Hextall going with 3 rookies on the blueline. That's why I bring in Del Zotto on a reasonable contract as a placeholder. He isn't going to get more vie free agency than what we could offer him 

14 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

I can't see Hextall going with 3 rookies on the blueline. That's why I bring in Del Zotto on a reasonable contract as a placeholder. He isn't going to get more vie free agency than what we could offer him 

I would certainly sign him to say a 1 year deal before bringing Streit back (only reason i say that i seen somewhere that could be an option. I was just never really impressed by him).

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd be for signing MDZ to a 1 year prove it contract...and then dealing him at the deadline. Pretty sure we'd have got a 1st for him last year.

Eh. I'm at the point where I want them to start building some stability along the blue line. I think that with the young kids coming up, I'd like to see a solid vet between 28-30 with 2-4 years on a contract brought in to help mentor the kids and keep them level through the ups and downs. While there's obviously some benefit to picking up draft picks here and there, I think at this point, the roster spot and cap would be better served with a veteran voice that's going to have the respect of the youngsters and isn't likely to be somewhere else at year's end.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Eh. I'm at the point where I want them to start building some stability along the blue line. I think that with the young kids coming up, I'd like to see a solid vet between 28-30 with 2-4 years on a contract brought in to help mentor the kids and keep them level through the ups and downs. While there's obviously some benefit to picking up draft picks here and there, I think at this point, the roster spot and cap would be better served with a veteran voice that's going to have the respect of the youngsters and isn't likely to be somewhere else at year's end.

A Ron Hainsey type. I think he did a lot to help Justin Faulk mature with the Canes.

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

I think at this point, the roster spot and cap would be better served with a veteran voice that's going to have the respect of the youngsters and isn't likely to be somewhere else at year's end.

I agree but Macdonalds contract kills that possibility unless they move him.

Just now, Philly29 said:

I agree but Macdonalds contract kills that possibility unless they move him.

Not really. It'll come down to what the Flyers want to do at goalie more than MacDonald.

7 hours ago, AJgoal said:

We'll be losing Shultz. That vet could replace his spot. If Morin or Hagg are ready (I assume one is) trade Manning.

Plus the opening when Vegas takes McDud :hehe:

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

We'll be losing Shultz. That vet could replace his spot. If Morin or Hagg are ready (I assume one is) trade Manning.

Plus the opening when Vegas takes McDud :hehe:

Really no need to trade Manning if we waive MacDonald. I don't like either, but I'd rather have Manning as the 7th than MacDonald.

I just don't trust Hakstol with MacDonald on this roster.

Well now with hindsight. This is looking like a hell of a draft so far compared to many before it.

2014 NHL Draft

1st (17th) Sanheim- Phantoms

2nd (48) Aube-Kubel- Phantoms

3rd (86) Friedman- Phantoms

5th (138) Lindblom- will join Phantoms once playoffs are over

6th (168) Fazleev- Phantoms

7th (198) Pettersson- Phantoms/Royals

Sorry i know it is still early but for Hextall's first draft that is impressive as hell that all are within the organ-i-zation helping strive for one common goal!!!

Unless Hagg totally flames out, I think he has the best shot to make the team next year out of camp.  Not because he's the best of the bunch.  Rather, he is at a point in his development where the Flyers have to make a decision as to whether he is NHL material.  He's already spent a good amount of time in the AHL and may have reached his ceiling there.  Time to evaluate whether he can make the next step to the big club.  If he falters, then Morin gets his shot.  I'd be surprised if all three make the team, but you never know.  Maybe it would work if they signed Bishop.  

7 hours ago, vis said:

Unless Hagg totally flames out, I think he has the best shot to make the team next year out of camp.  Not because he's the best of the bunch.  Rather, he is at a point in his development where the Flyers have to make a decision as to whether he is NHL material.  He's already spent a good amount of time in the AHL and may have reached his ceiling there.  Time to evaluate whether he can make the next step to the big club.  If he falters, then Morin gets his shot.  I'd be surprised if all three make the team, but you never know.  Maybe it would work if they signed Bishop.  

I think Hagg and even Morin should be called up and play the last couple of games this season. I know Hextall wants these guys on the Phantoms for the playoff push, but giving these guys 2-3 games with the Flyers isn't going to hurt the Phantoms. Let's just hope that once the Phantoms clinch a playoff spot, Hextall will be more willing to give these guys a few games with the Flyers.

The Flyers last 2 games are on April 8th and 9th (Columbus & Carolina). The Phantoms play on the 5th, 7th and 8th. Call them up to play the last 2 games after their game on the 5th and they'll only miss 2 games with the Phantoms (their next game is the 12th)

@RJ8812

I don't see a big benefit to calling them up for 2-3 games.  It may assuage the fans' desire to see these kids (and I have previously been an advocate of bringing them up), but I don't know that it's going to move the needle much on evaluation or experience.  Let them win with the Phantoms.  Think it will be better for their overall development.

5 minutes ago, vis said:

@RJ8812

I don't see a big benefit to calling them up for 2-3 games.  It may assuage the fans' desire to see these kids (and I have previously been an advocate of bringing them up), but I don't know that it's going to move the needle much on evaluation or experience.  Let them win with the Phantoms.  Think it will be better for their overall development.

It's done for obvious reasons: for them to get a taste of NHL action

it's not going to hurt their development. They'll be sent back down the to the Phantoms for the playoffs 

9 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

it's not going to hurt their development. They'll be sent back down the to the Phantoms for the playoffs 

I'm inclined to agree. I think a little taste of the NHL is a very fine incentive indeed. Don't really see a downside. 

3 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I'm inclined to agree. I think a little taste of the NHL is a very fine incentive indeed. Don't really see a downside. 

Exactly. Even if they struggle in those 2 games, at least they'll know what they have to work on over the summer. There's absolutely no downside in them playing a couple of games with the Flyers.

51 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

40 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Obviously it would be to get them a taste of the NHL.  I get that.

But, I think there is something to be said for keeping the Phantoms group together and not yanking players out for a couple of games.  Let them experience the home stretch and the preparations for making a Calder Cup run, rather than coming up and playing on a team in the midst of dying a slow death.  Those last couple of Flyers games are likely to be meaningless.  So, what are they really experiencing?

I rather them experience an exciting, winning atmosphere and the preparations that take place when getting ready for the POs.  Especially when they have been important parts of that team all year.

I've been critical of Hextall in the past for being too cautious with the young guys.  But I think he gets it right on this.

35 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

Exactly. Even if they struggle in those 2 games, at least they'll know what they have to work on over the summer. There's absolutely no downside in them playing a couple of games with the Flyers.

They should already know what they have to work on over the summer.  Two (meaningless) games should not move that needle one way or the other.

Not sure if you'll see anyone called up for one Hagg is still out with a LBI and two the Phantoms are the only ones with something to play for and the seeding is still on the line so that right now is more important that a callup to the NHL.

In due time Weal will be sent back down to the Phantoms to for their playoff run.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

the Phantoms are the only ones with something to play for and the seeding is still on the line so that right now is more important that a callup to the NHL.

Agree 100% with this.

I know it will never happen but I would love from them to call Brennan up for a game or two as a reward for his season.  TJ has over 50pts for the fourth season in a row. I realize he's not in the long term plans but I think he would make a good 7th d-men for the Flyers next season while the prospects continue to develop in LV. 

1 hour ago, vis said:

But, I think there is something to be said for keeping the Phantoms group together and not yanking players out for a couple of games.  Let them experience the home stretch and the preparations for making a Calder Cup run, rather than coming up and playing on a team in the midst of dying a slow death.  Those last couple of Flyers games are likely to be meaningless.  So, what are they really experiencing?

I rather them experience an exciting, winning atmosphere and the preparations that take place when getting ready for the POs.  Especially when they have been important parts of that team all year.

I've been critical of Hextall in the past for being too cautious with the young guys.  But I think he gets it right on this.

They should already know what they have to work on over the summer.  Two (meaningless) games should not move that needle one way or the other.

#nailedit!

Absolutely agree with this.  Let them develop that winning culture now.  If they develop the right mentality now for the AHL playoffs, then when they are with the Flyers...it will  be like second nature to them and they should know what to do..... 

56 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I know it will never happen but I would love from them to call Brennan up for a game or two as a reward for his season.  TJ has over 50pts for the fourth season in a row. I realize he's not in the long term plans but I think he would make a good 7th d-men for the Flyers next season while the prospects continue to develop in LV. 

Well one thing is for sure no way in hell his can be worse defensively than Mcturd and at least TJ can move the puck and score...

....so with that said no let him stay on the Phantoms he comes up and then would possibly be more productive and win some games therefor ruining the draft pick in this lost season.

2 hours ago, vis said:

Having them play a couple of games for the Flyers this season isn't going to magically kill their development or instantly infest them with a losing mentality. It won't hurt them or the phantoms playoff chances 

Archived