• Ducks sweep 4-0
    • Ducks in 5
    • Ducks in 6
    • Ducks in 7
    • Flames sweep 4-0
    • Flames in 5
    • Flames in 6
    • Flames in 7

All discussion regarding this series here.

Anaheim Ducks vs. Calgary Flames

Date TIME (ET) #1 Anaheim vs. #4 Calgary Networks
Thursday, April 13 10:30 p.m. Calgary at Anaheim NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
Saturday, April 15 10:30 p.m. Calgary at Anaheim NBCSN, CBC, TVA Sports
Monday, April 17 10 p.m. Anaheim at Calgary CBC, TVA Sports, NBCSN
Wednesday, April 19 10 p.m. Anaheim at Calgary CBC, TVA Sports, USA
*Friday, April 21 TBD Calgary at Anaheim TBD
*Sunday, April 23 TBD Anaheim at Calgary TBD
*Tuesday, April 25 TBD Calgary at Anaheim TBD

Calgary is getting better but they are no match for the Ducks.  Agree with @yave1964, could be a sweep for the Duck.  I'm going Ducks in 5 simply for the oddball chance the Flames pull a game out at home.  One of the easier match-ups to predict.  Also Gibson is coming back strong and if he should falter, Bernier who played brilliantly during Gibson's absence, is waiting in the wings.

Not so sure I say the Ducks will "have it easy" in this opening round.

Yes, I am taking Ducks....but in 6.

Anaheim SHOULD be the more dominant team here, but as the season has shown us, the Ducks sometimes forget to play defense. And when they aren't playing like world beaters, Anaheim goalies sometimes seem to fall asleep and let in the softest of soft goals.

Calgary's goalie situation isn't rock solid by any means, but man, does this team play with lots of grit and heart...and if the Calgary defensemen start pitching in to the offense, Anaheim could have their hands full here! Also, the Flames can play every bit the physical and a-hole game the Ducks can when they want to.

At the end of the day though, if the Ducks don't take this series, then shame on them. They now have a very limited window to win it all with their current core, while Calgary looks to be making strides to become better as the next few seasons roll along.

The Flames could upset, but Anaheim should take this...albeit NOT in an easy series.

@TropicalFruitGirl26

The Ducks have bested the Flames 25 straight times at home, the longest current such streak. Now I will grant you that the postseason and regular season are different animals but that has to be in the Flame heads.

I like a lot of the Flames players, Monahan is a huge favorite of mine, Gaudreau, Frolik plays a hard style, Brouwer has a playoff type skill set, on defense Gio is as good as it gets, Hamilton had a brilliant year and Stone who came over from Arizona is my kind of player, a fearless defender who blocks shots and hits with a sold first pass who allows his partner to roam free. Elliott was even brilliant down the stretch.

I just do not see it though, the Ducks have the most underrated defense in the game, they are two deep in the net and Getzlaf/Perry are primed for a run with Eaves tearing it up since coming over, Kesler is an elite 2C and Vermette a faceoff God as a 3C. They are just too deep and while I was surprised by the Flames progress this year, I thought they were gonna be an also ran and give them credit for being a very dangerous club, I just do not see it.

@yave1964

I agree with pretty much everything you have said...which is why I predicted the Ducks WILL be taking this series.

I just don't buy into the "it should be easy" schtick that some fans or even the so-called expert analysts seem to think it will be.

Why?

For the very reasons you mentioned about the Flames.

Putting aside that winning streak the Ducks have against the Flames, I have watched quite a few Calgary games this year, and I gotta say, even when Calgary gets blown out in games 5-1, the other team KNEW they were in a game with them.

So yea, while I agree Anaheim takes this (as they should at this stage), it won't be easy by any stretch, and if the Ducks come out  complacent, the Flames can and would score the upset leaving the embarrassed Ducks wondering just what the heck happened.

I'm picking the Flames in 6, although the Ducks have been playing better of late I still like the Flames defense and speed.  This matchup has the best potential for an upset.

Just now, hf101 said:

I'm picking the Flames in 6, although the Ducks have been playing better of late I still like the Flames defense and speed.  This matchup has the best potential for an upset.

I see your POV, but IMO the Ducks have the edge in net.  I take Gibson/Bernier over Elliot and Johnson (who, from what I read, is DTD)

1 hour ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

I made the mistake of not picking Anaheim last year. Won't fall for it again. I have the Ducks winning this series. They're just a better, more experienced team, and they turn it on come playoff time. 

:)

I will take you on.  I will pick the Flames to pull it off

Oh my.... lol.

The things people say when they don't think others are listening.

This was after the Flames lost Game 2. The Calgary broadcast booth after the game was off the air and they THOUGHT the mics were off....

Below the video is printed out some of what was said as well.

Brodie’s is … that’s just a complete lack of … you got no composure when you’re doing that. He’s down already.”

“If you don’t rip Dougie Hamilton, I will. Stupidest [expletive] penalty you can take.”

“How about the T.J. Brodie one, too? But you’re right, that Dougie Hamilton one.”

“Does he had a [expletive] brain?”

“He doesn’t. He’s stupid as [expletive].”

“I don’t know him that well.”

“He’s not an intelligent guy.”

“You’re Mr. Flames, so you probably know him better than I do.”

To be honest, it isn't that surprising that even the home town announcers would be this irritated with their players (I haven't heard, but have read lips on some Lightning ones when they think the cameras have been pulled away during an intermission segment), but usually the anger and/or swearing is just general.

These broadcasters REALLY seemed to be zeroing in on Hamilton and Brodie.

Wonder if they will need to do any 'splaining to anyone after this? :shifty:

EDIT:

Apparently, somebody got wind of this making the rounds on youtube and had it either removed or 'hidden' from general public view.

Will post another I I can find it, but at least you get the gist with the printed transcript.

;)

Here's another audio capture of it...for as long as Calgary and/or the NHL will allow this one to stay out there....embarrassing stuff for the broadcasters, no?

On 4/12/2017 at 10:15 AM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I made the mistake of not picking Anaheim last year. Won't fall for it again. I have the Ducks winning this series. They're just a better, more experienced team, and they turn it on come playoff time. 

:)

Since you said that watch the Flames come back to win the series! I hope I didn't jinx you!:hocky:

Archived