McDavid Contract may be $13.25M per year

nossagog

The talk is that McDavid is looking at an eight year contract for an average amount of $13.25 a year.   That's 18% of the current $75M cap. Granted this wouldn't kick in until the 18-19 season.  He's definitely worth the money as a player, but you always worry how that will affect signing players in future years for them.    

https://www.nhl.com/news/connor-mcdavid-nearing-extension-with-edmonton-oilers/c-290209886

14 minutes ago, nossagog said:

The talk is that McDavid is looking at an eight year contract for an average amount of $13.25 a year.   That's 18% of the current $75M cap. Granted this wouldn't kick in until the 18-19 season.  He's definitely worth the money as a player, but you always worry how that will affect signing players in future years for them.    

https://www.nhl.com/news/connor-mcdavid-nearing-extension-with-edmonton-oilers/c-290209886

I really don't believe anyone is "worth" 18% of the cap.

He's likely banking on the higher salary now to compensate for the inevitable rollback after the next lockout... :hocky:

Outrageous. How do you think you can win when you hog almost 20% of the cap space?  Does he even care about winning? 

What I don't get is this....the MAJORITY of major sports stars get the most of their money from endorsement deals. These deals usually dwarf their annual salaries from their actual sports. It's nothing for a guy to pull in 100 million A YEAR from various endorsement deals, IF they are at the top of their game like McDavid is and will be for a decade. Why do you need SO MUCH money from your actual salary, when the money tap is literally pouring in from other revenue streams?

I realize there is some pressure from the NHLPA for stars to maximize their deals, cause it's a drip down effect and they actually set the salaries for others....BUT...come on...18%...that is CRAZY.

Am I missing something here???

10 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Outrageous. How do you think you can win when you hog almost 20% of the cap space?  Does he even care about winning? 

What I don't get is this....the MAJORITY of major sports stars get the most of their money from endorsement deals. These deals usually dwarf their annual salaries from their actual sports. It's nothing for a guy to pull in 100 million A YEAR from various endorsement deals, IF they are at the top of their game like McDavid is and will be for a decade. Why do you need SO MUCH money from your actual salary, when the money tap is literally pouring in from other revenue streams?

I realize there is some pressure from the NHLPA for stars to maximize their deals, cause it's a drip down effect and they actually set the salaries for others....BUT...come on...18%...that is CRAZY.

Am I missing something here???

It's very easy to free with other people's money. In this case, you're throwing away a comment. In McDavid's he could be throwing away tens of millions of dollars.

3 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It's very easy to free with other people's money. In this case, you're throwing away a comment. In McDavid's he could be throwing away tens of millions of dollars.

I understand you only go through this rodeo once....but when is enough, enough? These guys make 10 times their salary in endorsements every year....leave some room for the Oilers to ice a Stanely Cup caliber team. Leaving a few mill on the table giving your team wiggle room to add new stars, is that really a lot to ask? Sign another endorsement deals to make up for it, there are other revenue streams for these guys.

6 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I understand you only go through this rodeo once....but when is enough, enough? These guys make 10 times their salary in endorsements every year....leave some room for the Oilers to ice a Stanely Cup caliber team. Leaving a few mill on the table giving your team wiggle room to add new stars, is that really a lot to ask? Sign another endorsement deals to make up for it, there are other revenue streams for these guys.

If McDavid felt like it, he could have walked into that room and demanded the limit (a full 20% of the cap), which currently means $15M per season, and the Oilers would have gone for it... But he didn't. In doing this, he left $14M on the table over the next 8 years, which the Oilers can spend and he can't.

9 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

If McDavid felt like it, he could have walked into that room and demanded the limit (a full 20% of the cap), which currently means $15M per season, and the Oilers would have gone for it... But he didn't. In doing this, he left $14M on the table over the next 8 years, which the Oilers can spend and he can't.

Right, because he's smart enough to recognize that they need another couple of players ....probably one defensive defenseman, one offensive in order to get them to the SCF, if not win it all.

1 hour ago, JR Ewing said:

42 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

By your own estimate he is "throwing away" $10+M by not asking for the full 20% of the cap.

Which circles back to jammer's query about "when is enough enough"? Clearly, McDavid has determined that "throwing away" $10+M is in his own best interest. Now we're just quibbling about what the "+" is.*

The Pens just became the first team with multiple high paid players to win the Cup (and they have Kessel thanks to a salary retention).

I am curious if any of the three current $10+M players (Kane, Toews, Kopitar) will win another one. Two got swept in the first round this year and the third didn't even make the playoffs...

* speaking of quibbling, Crosby's second contract in 08-09 had an $8.7M cap hit in a $56.7M cap - 15.3% - and when he re-signed (to the same AAV) in 2013-14 his cap hit was 12.3% of the $70.2M cap. And that cap hit is now down to 11.6%. The cap would need to get to $120M in the next eight years to have McDavid at the same % of cap that Crosby is now. The caveat, of course, is that you can't sign the same kind of deal Crosby has any more (12 years with a $9M gap between top and bottom paid years). Again, quibbling :)

1 hour ago, radoran said:

By your own estimate he is "throwing away" $10+M by not asking for the full 20% of the cap.

Yes, on this contract alone. If he had demanded a 5 year deal, he could have made even more money on the contract after that, given a higher cap, which is probable.

Which circles back to jammer's query about "when is enough enough"? Clearly, McDavid has determined that "throwing away" $10+M is in his own best interest. Now we're just quibbling about what the "+" is.*

The Pens just became the first team with multiple high paid players to win the Cup (and they have Kessel thanks to a salary retention).

I am curious if any of the three current $10+M players (Kane, Toews, Kopitar) will win another one. Two got swept in the first round this year and the third didn't even make the playoffs...

I really don't know how it will work out. The cap hit is precious; of that there is no doubt, but players like this come with that cost, and teams are willing enough to pay because they can be big difference makers in more than one way. The Oilers have made and will continue to make huge amounts of money in merchandising based on McDavid simply being on the team, in addition to the benefits he brings with on-ice performance and his ability to act as a magnet and draw talent that want to play with him.

* speaking of quibbling, Crosby's second contract in 08-09 had an $8.7M cap hit in a $56.7M cap - 15.3% - and when he re-signed (to the same AAV) in 2013-14 his cap hit was 12.3% of the $70.2M cap. And that cap hit is now down to 11.6%. The cap would need to get to $120M in the next eight years to have McDavid at the same % of cap that Crosby is now. The caveat, of course, is that you can't sign the same kind of deal Crosby has any more (12 years with a $9M gap between top and bottom paid years). Again, quibbling :)

Maybe it's quibbling, but CapFriendly lists Crosby's 2nd contract at 17.3% and his current one at 14.5% (each at the time of signing, of course):

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sidney-crosby

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

Maybe it's quibbling, but CapFriendly lists Crosby's 2nd contract at 17.3% and his current one at 14.5% (each at the time of signing, of course):

https://www.capfriendly.com/players/sidney-crosby

The 07-08 cap was $50.3M so it was 17.2% of the cap when it was signed but it was only 15.3% of the cap when it went into effect.

Of course, apples to apples (being fair) we don't know what the cap will be when McDavid's goes into effect.

Kudos to McDavid for choosing to leave a little on the table for fellow teammates.  He could have demanded 20% of the Oilers cap at $15M per year but chose to sign 2.5M less/ year for a $100M over 8 seasons starting with the 2018- 19 season.  He sets the bar now as the highest paid player in the NHL a level which has to be a sign of relief for other GM's as I don't see anyone topping this contract for some time.

McDavid at 12.5M per.

Just boggles the mind.

Just for fun...now bear with me here......I looked up the most recent signings listed on capfriendly. They are located in the upper left of the homepage.

How much is 12.5M?

Well, ALL the other recent signings, including Alex Galchenyuk, add up to 11.9M

I am no way saying the signing was bad/good, etc....like I said, just for fun, and to highlight the amount of money that a single player in the NHL will be making.....who isn't even old enough to drink in the United States (Canada may be different...US it's 21).

Of course, none of those players listed alongside McDavid in the recent signings are in his caliber, but the fact that one guy will be making more than 7 others combined who just got new contracts, is well, like I said, bind moggling... :VeryCool:

Makes Steven Stamkos, at a mere 8.5M look like a pauper.... ;)

Very nice contract that Jeff Jackson was able to negotiate, and another area where a rich owner can help, cap or not. Every July 1, McDavid is paid pretty much his entire year's salary in shot, and even if there's a lockout, he's getting paid either way.

DELTvI5XsAA3AC8.jpg

I am glad that Monohan and Gaudreau signed for what they did with the Flames. Mcdavid's contract is going to up the price for all the younger stars. Draisitl (spelling) will probably ask for a lot higher contract now because of Mcdavid's. Like others have said in this thread that Mcdavid's contract is going to hurt the Oilers chances of signing other players in the future and as Flames fan, I love that!

In my opinion, McDavid deserves the contract that he got because he is an amazing player and got a lot of talent. When I see him play I think of Sydney Crosby and Wayne Gretzky. He had an amazing second year and led Edmonton in the season and also in the playoffs.

In my opinion, he is the best player in Edmonton and one of the best players in the league he has amazing talent and personality. He is a true professional and got modesty that it's a great quality. I think that Edmonton did the right thing that secured him for the next years and in my opinion, they should build around him.

I think that McDavid should be the face of the franchise and he deserves this contract. I think that Gretzky and the management is doing a great job and gave him the amount and also left money for signing the other players that can help the team.

Archived