So what happened?

Jam1986

This is a team that is finding ways to lose.  But the principal path is defensive lapses, the worst of which was in OT, leaving Elliott out to dry.  The next problem is PP impotence.  After that--lots of shots that aren't very challenging.  

Martel looked good.  Morin needs some seasoning.  

Meanwhile, the O and B have lost six straight.  If roster changes don't help, what's next?  Or perhaps it is Who's next? As in coaching?   Given some of the mental lapses (Ghost has been off his game big time), I am wondering if the players are even listening to whatever the coaches are saying.

Best wishes for Turkey Day.  I am visiting in NJ close to Philly--will be at Black Friday game--a ritual.  Maybe I see a win...or the end of a coaching tenure.  

Howie

36 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Martel looked good. 

I didn't get to see the game but seen he was wearing 70. Yuck what a ugly number.

If it's a temporary number he can find a better one.

There are a bunch kids on the team now for sure.

So there is a lot of trial by fire.

Some casualties along the way too.

Patience!?!?

21 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

My neighbor took his 3 year old to public skating once, maybe Ron should take a lool at him for head coach.

LOL....at the very least you would think Lappy would get canned.   That PK is just awful....

I have some sympathy for the youngins and inexperience, particularly on D.  There is effort--they aren't slacking. But the defensive lapses and stupid passes to nowhere.  Yikes.

We had 10 straight wins and missed the playoffs last year--a first in league history (I think).  Who knows...maybe we will have 10 straight losses and make the playoffs...maybe that would be another first.  But candidly, I don't see playoffs and I give it 50/50 that Hak makes it to year 4. 

Enjoy the turkey and give thanks....lots to give thanks for.

• hf101 changed the title to So what happened?
5 hours ago, Howie58 said:

I have some sympathy for the youngins and inexperience, particularly on D.  There is effort--they aren't slacking. But the defensive lapses and stupid passes to nowhere.  Yikes.

We had 10 straight wins and missed the playoffs last year--a first in league history (I think).  Who knows...maybe we will have 10 straight losses and make the playoffs...maybe that would be another first.  But candidly, I don't see playoffs and I give it 50/50 that Hak makes it to year 4. 

Enjoy the turkey and give thanks....lots to give thanks for.

I wouldn't want Hakstol to coach a shinny team, let alone a pro team. He makes Berube look like a real coach

27 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I wouldn't want Hakstol to coach a shinny team, let alone a pro team. He makes Berube look like a real coach

I was with you until the last part. No one is powerful enough to do that. 

23 hours ago, murraycraven said:

I would bring in Sutter...

But then again I am sure Hextall will try to outsmart himself...

Sutter is an interesting idea really. The only worry I have is that he remains a bit of an old school coach. Does his preferred system translate well to the game today? I'm not sure. He likes big guys and pushing folks around a lot, though maybe that was just a function of what he was given to work with in LA. The Kings were possession beasts with him behind the bench, so there is that.

In all, he definitely has a solid resume. I'd be interested. Given the connection to Hex, I don't think it's out of context either.

7 hours ago, FD19372 said:

Two Stanley Cups on his resume are too boring?  :eyeroll:OK, got it.

Past Stanley Cups really don't mean anything when you're bringing in a new coach to a new team. 

If that were the case, we would have won multiple Cups in the past 20 years 

On 11/26/2017 at 11:38 AM, RJ8812 said:

No thanks to Sutter. Boring and too old school 

Yeah, you're not wrong. He definitely is an old school coach. I'm not sure how well that works in today's game.

That said, he was a big proponent of possession-based hockey, which will always be extremely important regardless of era.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Yeah, you're not wrong. He definitely is an old school coach. I'm not sure how well that works in today's game.

That said, he was a big proponent of possession-based hockey, which will always be extremely important regardless of era.

This team is too small and not fast enough to play possession-based hockey.  His teams were able to play that way because they were tough on the puck and skilled.

I'm not sure Sutter is the right coach either.  Doubtful he would even accept the position, I think.

2 hours ago, vis said:

This team is too small and not fast enough to play possession-based hockey.  His teams were able to play that way because they were tough on the puck and skilled.

I'm not sure Sutter is the right coach either.  Doubtful he would even accept the position, I think.

Let's not forget one the biggest things is he had a guy who could bail his team out and erase mistakes too.

And they made them by the bunches the 1st year the won a cup the difference is Quick kept it out the net so most don't know how big it could of been.

The goalie like the QB position is HUGE it can give the whole team confidence they have a chance every night.

And this isn't meant to bash Elliot or Neuvy but they just are not those type of goalies.

They aren't.

The Flyers basically have two backups waiting for a starter.

I think the Flyers have one of those types it is just going to be a few years before he is ready.

So it is not just about the size of the players. It's more than that.

They just are not exectuting and they don't have a goalie to erase their mistakes.

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Let's not forget one the biggest things is he had a guy who could bail his team out and erase mistakes too.

Oh yeah, fair point re: the goaltender.

Archived