Flyers CAN NOT hold a lead!

Guest trevluk

How many games have we blown leads this year?? The last 4 games in a row they have blown a 2 goal lead. That is PATHETIC. There is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. I was criticized on this board a few games ago for calling them out on it but the facts are the facts. This team is pretty good overall but also has some big issues that need to be corrected or we are in for a lot more frustration and disappointment.

I've mentioned this several times too. I don't know what it is. I'd like to pin it on Bryz, but the defense leaves him high and dry sometimes. Not all the time. The offense is capable of scoring, but also struggles. You'd think 4 goals would be enough to win you a game. I'm not really comfortable with any Flyers lead unless they have 5 or 6 goals on the board.....and even then I still get butterflies. It is ridiculous. The 3rd period was an epic collapse.

The other thing I see is that whatever team we're playing, its goaltender just always seems to stand on his head making amazing saves. It seems like no matter who the opponent is, the goaltending is ridiculously awesome. The opponents goaltending seems to rise to the occassion and we struggle.

@brelic

It's 2 out of the last 4 games we lost. And we blew 2 goal leads in those lasr 4 games but on the positive side, isn't more fun and exciting to watch? keeps you on the edge of your seats doesn't it? lol

Definitely exciting. Love watching that 4th line. Our rookies are amazing. But my heart can barely take it and the disappointment at the end is overwhelming!

How many games have we blown leads this year?? The last 4 games in a row they have blown a 2 goal lead. That is PATHETIC. There is a serious problem that needs to be addressed. I was criticized on this board a few games ago for calling them out on it but the facts are the facts. This team is pretty good overall but also has some big issues that need to be corrected or we are in for a lot more frustration and disappointment.

For some reason the Flyers don't go into a defensive mode when they are in the lead. They keep pressing on offense and it's killing them. How many odd man rushes in the third? It was terrible to watch.

For some reason the Flyers don't go into a defensive mode when they are in the lead. They keep pressing on offense and it's killing them. How many odd man rushes in the third? It was terrible to watch.

I actually don't have a problem with that, with being agressive and not going into defensive mode, as long as they can score, or keep scoring. But you're right -- to keep pressing on offense, but not score any goals of our own, and then to give up goals against because we haven't clamped down defensively -- that is killing us. Play agressive but score some freaking goals! You'd think 4 would be enough though. They need to be in the 5-7 goal range to win apparently. Ha.

I actually don't have a problem with that, with being agressive and not going into defensive mode, as long as they can score, or keep scoring. But you're right -- to keep pressing on offense, but not score any goals of our own, and then to give up goals against because we haven't clamped down defensively -- that is killing us. Play agressive but score some freaking goals! You'd think 4 would be enough though. They need to be in the 5-7 goal range to win apparently. Ha.

You know what? We're like the Capitals of a few years ago. We'll be great in the season, score lots of goals, but with weak goaltending and defense, we will have limited playoff success.

To me this is a problem of ledership vacuum. With Pronger out, there doesn't seem to be a player in the locker room who can say, " We are not losing tonight. Not on MY watch". Briere logically should be that guy, but being so inconsistent himslef, he probably feels he doesn't have enough right to be so vocal. Timonen comes across to me more like a quiet leader rather than someone who can be forceful.

But this could be a problem moving forward...

How many games have we blown leads this year??

Well, the facts may ruin the bitch-and-moan session we got going here but...

We're 15-1-1 when Leading After 1 and 19-2-1 when Leading After 2. (Only the Kings and Boston have a better Win % Leading After 1 or 2)

Since it happened recently - twice - and 1 of the games was the Winter Classic, you can certainly be forgiven for thinking the Flyers are struggling to hold leads.

But the truth is it's only been a few games over the first half of the season. That isn't so bad is it? :-)

We're 15-1-1 when Leading After 1 and 19-2-1 when Leading After 2. (Only the Kings and Boston have a better Win % Leading After 1 or 2)

Since it happened recently - twice - and 1 of the games was the Winter Classic, you can certainly be forgiven for thinking the Flyers are struggling to hold leads.

But the truth is it's only been a few games over the first half of the season. That isn't so bad is it? :-)

you know what stat I'd be interested in? How many games have the Flyers spotted the opposition a goal in the opening moments of a game? That and allowing goals in the last minute of a period. Both painful to watch when they occur and they seem all to frequent.

Oh, and as a side stat, how many goals have we tipped or deflected into our own net... I don't remember it ever really being an issue but it seems like the Flyers M.O. this season.

First line was poor. Defense was slow getting back. Bryz really only made one major mistake . Anticipated a pass and did not face the shooter. Once again the youth came to play while Harts and Jagr and Giroux did not gel on the ice.

how many goals have we tipped or deflected into our own net... I don't remember it ever really being an issue but it seems like the Flyers M.O. this season.

man you're not kidding - esp early in the season it was like every game we were getting burned by a fluky goal - off somebody's backside, double-deflections off skates, all sorts of stupid sh-t.

I don't know about the early / late-in-the-period goals though. I remember scoring first a lot - nearly every game, and we were on a roll for awhile - and we didn't lose when we scored 1st (like most teams).

I think that started to change in December, even though we still had a pretty great month, 7 wins in a row before the Boston blowout at home.

Things have gotten tougher with the injuries and the Class Clown Goalie we've got, but at least the really stupid goals have stopped going in against us.

Now if only Bryzgalov could put together an entire game without giving up a bad goal. Tonight I bet we all knew Ottawa would score a late goal - knew it without a shred of doubt. Some, if not most of the loss is on the skaters, no question. But that long-ass shot from Kuba at the blue line - as soon as he wound up I knew it was going in. Hartnell tipped it a bit and changed the direction - but JHC can Bryzgalov NEVER pick up a deflection? So far he's 100% - missed every one. ;-)

I know this: for me every one of those point shots is cringe-worthy when Bryzgalov is in net. I can only imagine how the skaters feel, knowing their goaltender ain't gonna bail them out - ever.

The stat you provided is not what I was talking about. Yes, they have gone on to win the majoirty of the games when they held a lead but not before they give up that lead and have to score another go-ahead goal. The fact is that they have blown a 2 goal lead the last 4 games in a row, but managed to come back and score a GWG in 2 of them and lost the other 2. I don't have the time to look it up but from my recollection they have had leads in many games this year only to give up that lead and then have had to score more goals to get the win. Conversely, I can't recall too many times when the Flyers have taken the lead and then held that lead for the duration of the game.

The stat you provided is not what I was talking about. Yes, they have gone on to win the majoirty of the games when they held a lead but not before they give up that lead and have to score another go-ahead goal. The fact is that they have blown a 2 goal lead the last 4 games in a row, but managed to come back and score a GWG in 2 of them and lost the other 2. I don't have the time to look it up but from my recollection they have had leads in many games this year only to give up that lead and then have had to score more goals to get the win. Conversely, I can't recall too many times when the Flyers have taken the lead and then held that lead for the duration of the game.

Oh okay, yeah I didn't read your post right then. I wonder how often we cough up a lead? It doesn't seem like we're any worse than other teams but then again - I'm afraid I'm going to rag on Bryzgalov again - with the goaltending we're getting this year the games have definitely been more back-n-forth.

There's nothing we can do about it. Bryz is here for a decade, and we can only hope he levels up a LOT in that time.

And as long as Lavi is here, we're going to be a defensively liable team. I'm not being negative, but given how this team has been this way since his tenure began despite changing just about everyone on the team, there's kind of a clear pattern.

Part of being high scoring means being aggressive and taking risks, so you leave yourself open on the backend. Some of the goals were on the defensemen last night, but as we've seen over the past several games, there are lots of instances of blown coverage by our forwards too.

Like I said, we're the Capitals from a few years ago.

The 3 on 1 goal scored by Karlsson was Bourdon pinching in and getting caught at the blueline. Good no look slick play by Karlsson to put that one in. This weekend was all about horrible turnovers. Bourdon and Lilja being the main offenders. Yesterdays game might force Homer's hand a little because those 2 guys are terrible. Bring back Gus. There's no way he can be worse than either.

Edited by merrex

The 3 on 1 goal scored by Karlsson was Bourdon pinching in and getting caught at the blueline. Good no look slick play by Karlsson to put that one in. This weekend was all about horrible turnovers. Bourdon and Lilja being the main offenders. Yesterdays game might force Homer's hand a little because those 2 guys are terrible. Bring back Gus. There's no way he can be worse than either.

Lilja has been the second coming of OKT...HE ******* SUCKS!!! He gets caught standing still all the time.....he gets spun around more than a New York Subway turnstile...............Bourdon has been solid until the last couple of games where he has been a turnover machine.I think he just needs to be a little quicker on his passes and get the puck out of the zone before the Opponents can get on him. It is definitely time to bring Gus back up and sit Lilja