Is hockey Canada's sport still??

Fanboy

Just now, Fanboy said:

I'm just asking what people think??  Canadians say hockey is their game, and Americans say Canadian teams suck that is why they haven't won a cup in Canada in 25 years so I wanted to see what people think.  Just having a discussion about what people think?

moo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Fanboy said:

I'm just asking what people think??  Canadians say hockey is their game, and Americans say Canadian teams suck that is why they haven't won a cup in Canada in 25 years so I wanted to see what people think.  Just having a discussion about what people think?

It's a nonsensical argument born from a position of ignorance and would could politely be called myopia. Again, if the Toronto Raptors, with a roster of about 90% American players, had a dynastic series of Championship wins, would that make Canada a basketball powerhouse?

I can't believe we're arguing about something so obtuse.

22 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

It's a nonsensical argument born from a position of ignorance and would could politely be called myopia. Again, if the Toronto Raptors, with a roster of about 90% American players, had a dynastic series of Championship wins, would that make Canada a basketball powerhouse?

I can't believe we're arguing about something so obtuse.

Obtuse.jpg

You may be on to something.....

This thread has more to do with geometry than whether hockey is Canada's sport or not.... :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Yabbut didn't a Canadian invent basketball? :rolleyes:

@Fanboy

You do realize there are 3 times as many American teams in the NHL as there are Canadian teams.

Based on this chart I'd say that Hockey in Canada is still strong.

Statistic: Total number of registered ice hockey players in Canada from 2010/11 to 2016/17 | Statista
Find more statistics at Statista

There are also twice as many indoor rinks and 5 times as many outdoor rinks in Canada than in the United States.

1 hour ago, Fanboy said:

Ummm......you suck.  I'd say you're trolling. 

22 hours ago, Fanboy said:

Crickets

Let's end this for good, eh? :-)

I go to ESPN.com (most visited U.S. sports site) and across the top of the site are links to (in order) the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAF, Soccer and then finally the NHL.

I go to TSN.ca and look at the same and see NHL, NFL, World Juniors, Hockey Canada, NBA, Curling, Sheep Shearing....

I know Junior teams in Saskatoon (population 295,000) and Halifax (population 405,000) often outdraw teams in Phoenix (population 4.5 million) and Miami (population 5.5 million). For the record, Saskatoon and Halifax are on Canada. Phoenix and Miami are in the US. :-)

Patrick Kane was the first U.S.-born player to win the Art Ross Trophy (I do hope you know that that is for). He won it in 2016. It's been awarded since 1947 or right around the same time @flyercanuck got his driver's license. :dizzysmiley-1:

1 minute ago, B21 said:

I go to ESPN.com (most visited U.S. sports site) and across the top of the site are links to (in order) the NFL, NBA, MLB, NCAAF, Soccer and then finally the NHL.

I go to TSN.ca and look at the same and see NHL, NFL, World Juniors, Hockey Canada, NBA, Curling, Sheep Shearing....

I know Junior teams in Saskatoon (population 295,000) and Halifax (population 405,000) often outdraw teams in Phoenix (population 4.5 million) and Miami (population 5.5 million). For the record, Saskatoon and Halifax are on Canada. Phoenix and Miami are in the US. :-)

Patrick Kane was the first U.S.-born player to win the Art Ross Trophy (I do hope you know that that is for). He won it in 2016. It's been awarded since 1947 or right around the same time @flyercanuck got his driver's license. :dizzysmiley-1:

ESPN might not be the most favorable reference for ranking the NHL, just saying...   I could counter that with NBCSports ranking the NHL 2nd after NFL.  Maybe a more neutral reference would be USAtoday ranking them 4th.  NFL MLB NBA NHL... is most fair.

7 minutes ago, B21 said:

Ok let's end this for good

CANADA CAN'T WIN ANYTHING IN HOCKEY, DONE

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

ESPN might not be the most favorable reference for ranking the NHL, just saying...   I could counter that with NBCSports ranking the NHL 2nd after NFL.  Maybe a more neutral reference would be USAtoday ranking them 4th.  NFL MLB NBA NHL... is most fair.

That was my point though. I know ESPN is out to promote the sports they air more frequently but it's clear you can at least argue that hockey is behind all of those sports mentioned in terms of overall interest in the U.S. 

16 minutes ago, B21 said:

...Sheep Shearing....

That's the #1 feed in Podein's house, ahead of hockey. But yeah, I'm probably the exception. 

My sister is a hockey mom. 3 boys and a girl - all played to high levels. Her youngest played Midget AAA with Nolan Patrick. Anyway, she's pretty woke, and she would rip the face off someone who suggested that Canada was anything but all hockey. 

9 minutes ago, B21 said:

Except for this.... :VeryCool:

P.S. - Those medals are gold.

2014_olym_feb23_canswe_gold_team_photo_6

Fair enough, but those jerseys ("sweaters" in proper Canuck parlance) are hideous! 

Any why aren't they wearing toques like proper Canadians?!

56 minutes ago, B21 said:

Remember, this guy plays in Pittsburgh but he is from Canada. :VeryCool:

Sidney%20Crosby%20wins%20cup_14972636618

Oh I remember this very well, 2 years in a row, where was it won??  Pittsburgh USA

1 hour ago, B21 said:

So what was your point??

Hey wait you had to have a driver's licence in Canada for horse and buggy??

Who knew.

On 1/3/2018 at 11:52 AM, JR Ewing said:

Stanley Cup - This one comes up all the time, and after all these years, and for the life of me,  I can't figure out why. It's either obtuse or purposefully intellectually dishonest, and either way doesn't speak highly of the person asking. If a Canadian team had won the Stanley Cup every year for the last 25 seasons, but without any Canadian players, would it go any further to answering your question? Which teams wins the Stanley Cup is completely unrelated to any country's power as a hockey nation. If the Toronto Raptors win the NBA Championship for the next 10 years, it doesn't make Canada a basketball powerhouse. Dignifying this question with a response actually p|sses me off.

Yes, thank you. The fan base is the only thing of consequence when it comes to actual Canadian cities. The last time I checked, no group of fans, no matter how rabid drastically affected a 7 game series. 

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

If only we could buy championships...like the Yankees.

Enjoy your bronze medal game.

Enjoy your silver medal after Sweden destroys you in the final

Archived