Game 45: Leafs at Flyers, 1/18/18 @ 7

Howie58

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was Neuvy's game but I think we are seeing that Nolan may have been worth drafting.  The last few games he's gone from dazed and confused to participating and contributing.  Konecny's pass was beautiful.  And the guys didn't collapse after falling behind.  Good effort...team win. 

2 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

If the Flyers want to make the playoffs they are going to have to fix this shiity powerplay. It is kill

They seem to have good puck movement....but don't do anything with it and end up relying on low percentage stuff from the perimeter. 

8 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

If the Flyers want to make the playoffs they are going to have to fix this shiity powerplay. It is killing them.

They can start by not having Manning, Weal and Lehtera on the 2nd unit 

Great come from behind win! It's nice to be on the winning side of a collapse lol.

Patrick had a really solid game! His 3 shots last night represent almost 10% of his total this year! I'm not even kidding! He needs to shoot WAY more. He's looked like a different player after being stapled to the bench when he took two careless stick penalties. Maybe that's what he needed.

Couturier played 23:06 - only Provorov played more. 

But the story of the game was Neuvirth. Without him, it would have been an ugly loss on Lindros night. He erased so many mistakes, it's not even funny.

Not sure why Laughton only got 7 minutes, less than Lehtera who actually played a good game. Goulbourne got 3 minutes. Barely worth dressing him up lol. Hakstol will need to find a fourth line combo he can trust again. A few shifts with Voracek in place of Goulbourne got lots of offensive zone time. 

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Great come from behind win! It's nice to be on the winning side of a collapse lol.

Patrick had a really solid game! His 3 shots last night represent almost 10% of his total this year! I'm not even kidding! He needs to shoot WAY more. He's looked like a different player after being stapled to the bench when he took two careless stick penalties. Maybe that's what he needed.

I thought he was going to score on that first rush...tyhen again just before he scored. I expect him to be a waaay better player next season.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Couturier played 23:06 - only Provorov played more. 

But the story of the game was Neuvirth. Without him, it would have been an ugly loss on Lindros night. He erased so many mistakes, it's not even funny.

Leaf fans could have said the same about Anderson if they'd scored just prior to Couturiers goal...it was a very good battle between the two. Love watching Provorov and Ghost, even though both had a few miscues. Ghost was at fault on that first goal and I didn't even care - he was soooo good all game long. He could have had 5 points that game if it weren't for Anderson.

1 hour ago, brelic said:

Not sure why Laughton only got 7 minutes, less than Lehtera who actually played a good game. Goulbourne got 3 minutes. Barely worth dressing him up lol. Hakstol will need to find a fourth line combo he can trust again. A few shifts with Voracek in place of Goulbourne got lots of offensive zone time. 

24 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I thought he was going to score on that first rush...tyhen again just before he scored. I expect him to be a waaay better player next season.

Absolutely. If he keeps up the urgency in his game, he may even have a strong second half. I felt that's what was missing from his game so far - urgency. And not in the sense of rushing his game, but of being hungry for the puck and anticipating plays.

Leaf fans could have said the same about Anderson if they'd scored just prior to Couturiers goal...it was a very good battle between the two. Love watching Provorov and Ghost, even though both had a few miscues. Ghost was at fault on that first goal and I didn't even care - he was soooo good all game long. He could have had 5 points that game if it weren't for Anderson.

Yes, it was a very even game. Provy and Ghost are awesome to watch. Ghost, in terms of excitement factor, is hard to beat. He's just such an athlete and thinks the game at a high level. Over time, he'll probably learn to pick his spots better, but he will always carry risk and that's makes his game so amazing to watch when bounces go his way. That diving grab at the blueline to keep the puck in, and then the heads up smarts of Giroux to not touch the puck until Ghost did was a high level play by both. Such smart players.

I think Ghost is one of the most dynamic defensemen in the NHL. He's a true game breaker.

2 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

They can start by not having Manning, Weal and Lehtera on the 2nd unit 

Well Knoblach is suppose to be running the powerplay and is suppose to be a great coach (from reports before his hiring) and some thought eventual Hak replacement. So that is scary....but i agree they have to find better personnel. 

So if they are not going to send Sanheim down let him play then it's not like Manning don't make mistakes.

Sanheim can help the powerplay. I'm ok with Weal on it for now....replace the other two.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

But the story of the game was Neuvirth

It really was.

giphy.gif

And there have been rumors swirling about teams asking about him in a trade.......but the Flyers need him still.

giphy.gif

And if there replacement is going to be Tokarski than i want to keep Neuvy.

giphy.gif

However after last night's performance his stock is soaring.

giphy.gif

And would always be listening to trade offers....but it would have to blow me a way to pull the trigger.

This is the only shot i expect him to make that he didn't....have to seal the 5 hole...

...however i think if Elliott played last night it would of been a loss.

giphy.gif

Sure it was a hard shot....i think he makes this stop 9 times out of 10. So i ain't mad.

2 hours ago, brelic said:

He erased so many mistakes, it's not even funny.

And this is what this young club needs. An eraser....and he provided that. All the great teams have one.

And i may get flack from others for saying this....Elliott has played pretty good for stretches put together some good games for sure.

But he hasn't (to me that is) just stood on his head and erased mistakes for this club nightly like they need.

Like i said he has made some damn good saves and has won games they shouldn't have been i haven't seen him carry them for stretches where they should have had a few losses that they won because of him.

I have seen Neuvy do that....not this year of curse but that last Capital series he replaced Mason in if they could of scored for him they would have went much deeper that playoffs.

Elliott has always been streaky......Neuvy has shown he can be relied on heavily....he just can't stay healthy.

I hope he can string together some great games....Flyers and Elliott can use it.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

I don't know man... it's hard to really fault a goalie on a breakaway. 

I expect him to make that save...not easy but it's doable...he almost had it....he sure looked quicker than Elliott has been lately.

If that was Elliott last night the Leafs would ofhung 5 or 6 on him.

2 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

I expect him to be a waaay better player next season.

I think he'll be much better by March....some nice pursuit by him...

...his hustle needs to spread....

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well Knoblach is suppose to be running the powerplay and is suppose to be a great coach (from reports before his hiring) and some thought eventual Hak replacement. So that is scary....but i agree they have to find better personnel. 

So if they are not going to send Sanheim down let him play then it's not like Manning don't make mistakes.

Sanheim can help the powerplay. I'm ok with Weal on it for now....replace the other two.

Weal could stay because we literally have no other options. If this is the line up, have Patrick and Provorov out there with Konecny, Filppula, and Raffl or Weal. Lehtera, Manning, Weise, Leier shouldn't be out there on the PP. Raffl has the size to be in front.

Archived