Overall, I thought the Flyers played well. They hung with Vegas all game, and in fact probably had a slight edge in territorial play 5v5.
Basically, the failure of our PP and PK was the difference in the game. Vegas went 2/2 on the PP and we went 1/4.
A few observations from the game..
- Mrazek was good and made a number of big saves that kept the game close... but his rebound control is a definite problem. It probably turned a bunch of routine stops into adventures. I wonder if Clark Griswold made his pads with his new ultra-bouncy padding material.
- Giroux is a special player. @elmatus and I were talking about that last night. There are so many things he does on a nightly basis that don't even get noticed, but when you see them, your jaw drops. One of the most talented Flyer I've ever watched. He's doing everything he can to lead this team to drink... but when you're dragging asses instead of horses.... it ain't so easy.
- That being said, his line is the only one generating anything with regularity. Last night's point-getters - G, Couturier, Konecny, Voracek, Ghost, Simmer. Patrick and his line also chip in, but outside of that... crickets.
- So, Lindblom. How long until he officially becomes Raffl? Kidding. The kid looks like he will score in bunches. I can't believe he didn't pot two last night.
- Sanheim's looked good. I wonder if there's any chance he replaces Manning once Hagg is healthy.
- Flyers had at least two great chances to score that were blown because of overpassing. More worrisome is that TK has now picked up that habit and has been guilty of that a lot lately.
Can't be too upset with losing to one of the best teams in the NHL because of special teams. That's on us, not them. We controlled most of the game 5v5.
What's most hilarious about this conversation is how far up the depth chart Lehtera has risen! At this rate he'll be on the 1st line by April!
[seriously, he's been very good (for a guy who can't skate)]
I'm with you. I'm against any idea that puts Couturier on the third line.
I'm also against any idea that puts Weal on the top line. He is NOT an NHL players, let alone putting him on the top line.
Lastly, the dislike of Filppula on this board is really exaggerated. It's not as bad as all that and will be ending shortly. If anything, I'd put him back on wing and have Laughton center him and Simmonds.
He is the poster child for what the whole team is doing the last month to six weeks: Pass first.
Earlier, when Coots was having some success, he was shooting, crashing the net, and banging in rebounds. The whole stinking team has become allergic to the net and want to find someone, anyone, to pass to. Nevermind that there are 5 defenders, a goalie, and a division 1 lacrosse team in between them and whomever they're passing to. It's like they've all gotten Voracek Syndrome.
SHOOT THE DAMN THING AND FOLLOW YOUR SHOT. YOU'RE NOT IN PEEWEE; WE SHOULDN'T HAVE TO SAY THIS!
Sanheim should be in the line up for the rest of the season. You need his puck moving abilities because aside from the top pair, we have no one else that can do it effectively on a consistent basis. He'll make mistakes, but who cares? Manning and MacDonald make those mistakes on a nightly basis, but at least Sanheim will get better.