Chances of Playoffs, Opponent and Similar

Digityman

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have no chance this year , no point in getting in only to lose in  the first round, so I'd rather get a lottery pick and speed up the rebuild.  Until we have a  a few more scorers , a franchise goalie on the roster  and are better defensively,  we are not winning anything. We have a couple more years of disappointment ahead,  but suffering now will be worth the reward when Hart is on the team and guys like Frost,  Meyers etc..

@RonJeremy

I don't see any super powerhouse teams outside of Tampa in the East.

CBJ is playing great right now we'll see how they do without Foligino though.

Pittsburgh is good and has 87 and 71 but Brassard is a downgrade from Bonino and they can be beaten when they aren't 3 strong guys down the middle and their defense is meh at best.

Washington is beatable, especially in the playoffs

Boston is solid.

Why not get into the tournament and see what happens ?

The Flyers would need super crazy #1 luck to get a top 3 pick. The difference between say pick 12 and 16 is negligible, so why not get some playoff experience ?

I'd rather have these guys in the tournament learning what that's like than drafting another guy who will be 2 years away.

9 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@RonJeremy

I don't see any super powerhouse teams outside of Tampa in the East.

CBJ is playing great right now we'll see how they do without Foligino though.

Pittsburgh is good and has 87 and 71 but Brassard is a downgrade from Bonino and they can be beaten when they aren't 3 strong guys down the middle and their defense is meh at best.

Washington is beatable, especially in the playoffs

Boston is solid.

Why not get into the tournament and see what happens ?

The Flyers would need super crazy #1 luck to get a top 3 pick. The difference between say pick 12 and 16 is negligible, so why not get some playoff experience ?

I'd rather have these guys in the tournament learning what that's like than drafting another guy who will be 2 years away.

stop thinking. don't you know that the season is lost and experience is bs? we should tank the rest of the way roll the dice for the tiny chance of repeating the draft miracle of last year. and then yell at whoever we get because he's not contributing enough. 

This organization is committed to mediocrity, sneak into the playoffs, get 2 or 3 home gates, draft in the middle of round 1, wait forever for players to develop, repeat. ALL i repeat All of the teams that have won cups in Bettturds salary cap NHL have drafted in the top 3 multiple times. Finishing second wildcard and getting experience is worthless.

2 hours ago, RonJeremy said:

We have no chance this year , no point in getting in only to lose in  the first round, so I'd rather get a lottery pick and speed up the rebuild.  

I'm not sure I understand this. It sounds like you are saying playoff experience has no bearing on the rebuild. 

A few more playoff misses in the name of drafting and rebuild, and we could become Edmonton East. 

Until we have a  a few more scorers , a franchise goalie on the roster  and are better defensively,  we are not winning anything. We have a couple more years of disappointment ahead,  but suffering now will be worth the reward when Hart is on the team and guys like Frost,  Meyers etc..

Again, I'm not sure I understand this attitude. Is it useless for New Jersey or Florida to make the playoffs? 

The thing about the future is that it is uncertain. Hart may NEVER become a #1 goalie. That is absolutely a possibility. Frost might never be more than a 3rd line center. Or a career AHLer. It definitely happens to drafted players more often than not. 

A 1st round exit this year means TK, Patrick, Sanheim, Provorov, Hagg, Lindblom et al get to experience the pressure in the playoff push and the playoffs, and the sting of losing. It makes them hungrier and better players. 

And the next time they're there, they have experience to draw upon and develop another gear. 

27 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

This organization is committed to mediocrity,

Huh? Do you honestly believe that? 

27 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

ALL i repeat All of the teams that have won cups in Bettturds salary cap NHL have drafted in the top 3 multiple times. Finishing second wildcard and getting experience is worthless.

From 2006 to 2017, 12 cups have been shared by only 7 teams. 

The Anaheim Ducks did not have any of their own top 3 draft picks when they won. 

The Carolina Hurricanes had 1 top 3 draft pick of their own (Staal).

The Detroit Red Wings did not have any of their own top 3 draft picks, and only two late 1st round picks of their own in the entire lineup.

The Boston Bruins had 1 top 3 draft pick of their own (Seguin) and he was a rookie (22 reg. season points, and 13 GP in playoffs)

The Los Angeles Kings had 1 top 3 draft pick of their own (Doughty).

So only 2 of the 7 teams that have won the Cup since the lockout have had multiple top 3 picks of their own - Chicago and Pittsburgh. 

Chicago had two - Kane and Toews.

Pittsburgh had four - Crosby, Malkin, Fleury, and Staal. 

The Flyers have Patrick (#2), Provorov (#7), Couturier (#8) as a top 10 pick base. Based on past history, there is no reason they cannot win once the core is mature and the right surrounding cast is in place. 

Where in my post does it say that playoff experience has no bearing on the rebuild? Are you CNN?  What I'm saying is simply,  I would rather have a higher draft pick with a chance to draft a better player than to make the playoffs only to go out on the first round. Sure some experience would be nice, but I'm looking at speeding up the rebuild and reaping the rewards in a couple of years. We are too inconsistent in scoring, we have mediocre goaltending and suspect defense to go far in playoffs.  I have confidence in the prospects we have and believe our top guys will be everything we expect. IF we had a Pronger on the blue line, and one big scoring threat  then I might say even with our garbage goalies we have a good a shot as anyone,  but we don't.  So I look to the future.

We have no chance this year , no point in getting in only to lose in  the first round, so I'd rather get a lottery pick and speed up the rebuild.

^ Ok, maybe I misunderstood you. The above implies that there is no point in making the playoffs and that a lottery pick would speed up the rebuild - meaning the playoffs are not as valuable as a lottery pick. 

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

What I'm saying is simply,  I would rather have a higher draft pick with a chance to draft a better player than to make the playoffs only to go out on the first round. Sure some experience would be nice, but I'm looking at speeding up the rebuild and reaping the rewards in a couple of years. 

Ok, when you lace on the skates tonight and warm up with G, let him know your plan :) 

I'm kidding around! But it's true, what *we* want as fans would make absolutely no sense to the players actually on the ice giving it everything they've got to make the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

We are too inconsistent in scoring, we have mediocre goaltending and suspect defense to go far in playoffs.  I have confidence in the prospects we have and believe our top guys will be everything we expect. IF we had a Pronger on the blue line, and one big scoring threat  then I might say even with our garbage goalies we have a good a shot as anyone,  but we don't.  So I look to the future.

Yes, all those things are true. But if we make the playoffs, that means over 82 games, we were better than those who didn't make the cut. Isn't that the whole point of playing a season?

Put another way, I think we just disagree on what we feel is better for the growth of the team. I feel that playoff experience is much better for the guys actually on the team now than a playoff miss and a better draft pick. 

34 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Where in my post does it say that playoff experience has no bearing on the rebuild?

"no point in getting in only to lose in  the first round"

Your words.

No point includes experience.

You said it.

Own it.

And playoff experience if a 1st round loss has meaning to the players especially the young core.

Let me rephrase ...in the grand scheme,  I believe getting a chance for a lottery pick or a better draft pick helps the rebuild more than 4 or 5 playoff games. Next year Patrick, Konecny and all the young guys should all step up their games and we can gain playoff experience then. 

3 minutes ago, RonJeremy said:

Let me rephrase ...in the grand scheme,  I believe getting a chance for a lottery pick or a better draft pick helps the rebuild more than 4 or 5 playoff games. Next year Patrick, Konecny and all the young guys should all step up their games and we can gain playoff experience then. 

But that players won't even see the Flyers for 4-5 years.

Playoff experience is needed now.

No sense in waiting.

Ask the Oilers.

Had they had more experience they may have went even deeper last year.

It showed.

We have sucked for a few years now, so if your gonna suck at least reap the benefit of a better pick. Trust the process. I'm hoping we take our 2 picks ,plus and make a deal for an impact player in the draft. So the better our picks the easier it is to make a deal

We have done will with our picks not many of our first rounders took 5 years to make the team...Morin is really the only one on the long term plan. As I said I'm looking to trade up and get a guy who can step in 

I wish and hope to be wrong, year after year. This lineup has more band aids than pieces of a rebuild. I would rather blow it up than limp to a mid first round pick that may or may not ever play in the league. 43 years is a long time. And yes I do believe that the corporates have too much influence on the hockey ops. 

ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!! WE JUST HAVE TO GET IN AND GO FROM THERE, MAYBE LYON CAN PULL A MATT MURRAY AND TAKE US ON A RUN!!!   NEVERMIND HACKJOB DON'T HAVE THE SMARTS TO EVEN CONSIDER THAT POSSIBLITY.... GIVE HIM THE CHANCE TO RUN WITH THE NET DON'T BE SO FRIGGIN HESITANT TO PUT HIM RIGHT BACK IN IF HE STUMBLES A GAME, INSTEAD OF PISSING ON HIS CONFIDENCE,OR THE CHANCE TO BUILD SOME

The Flyers goaltending is a revolving door  joke right now , and this yo-yoing bad are forth schitt isn't good for either goalie, because they don't get the opportunity to get comfortable in net because they know that the next game it's the other guy going in , (regardless of performance ,in most cases) and the players practically have to check behind them to see who's in net NOW? 

Hextall has the Flyers positioned to do whatever they want. If he wants to move up and grab someone, he had the assets to do it.  His management of assets has been first class. He has moved up to grab TK, Frost and Ratcliffe.  Not really hearing any complaints thus far.

the nhl Flyers should try and win every game and make the playoffs. Winning culture is the theme. Hextall will draft as he sees fit and I’m fine with it.  If he moves up great, if not whatever. Hextall has turned the organizational philosophy on its head and I trust him. 

@Pucked in the head our goaltending has been a revolving door since Lindbergh died. Hexy had a great rookie season and went downhill quick after all the hamstring injuries. So basically it's been about 30 years of mediocre goaltending. A few glimmers of hope, Boosh had one good year and Cecmanek had a couple,  but we have not had a true # 1 in over 30 years . Really hope that Hart and Sandstrom are the real deal.

Archived