Hakstol experiment over

trevluk

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

That would have been what I expected.  But then it gave Patrick a chance to play on the top line, a line I never would have expected him to play on this season.  And you know, other than him needing to get stronger, he was one of the best players on the ice last night.

no doubt... I think he has been the best Flyer in the series honestly.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I would say Patrick has been the best player in O&B this series.

The simple fact that most forget is this Team is not built to compete right now.  They just aren't...   anyone who thought they had a shot at beating the Pens in this series was slugging the orange Kool Aid.   

Am I pissed?   No...  I never thought they would get into the playoffs to begin with.   I might be a little disappointed that they are getting their asses handed to them in this series but just look at the talent and match ups.  Easily, the Pens are the better team from the Coach down to the equipment manager they are a superior team.  

Isn't it a LITTLE disconcerting that your rookie pick with no playoff experience is the "best player" and the 100 point "Hart candidate" and his 85 point partner have three points and zero goals between them?

I ask this because the "ready in a few years" mantra seems to overlook the fact that these two unproductive playoff performers (93 with three points and one goal in his past 10 playoff games and 28 with TWO over that span) are taking up $16.5M on the salary cap and will likely still be doing so in "a few years" as they are both signed for at least the next four seasons...

I wanted Giroux to finally have a breakout postseason and instead he's gone practically invisible. Again.

Crosby has as many points in his past five playoff games as Giroux has in his past five playoff YEARS.

So by "a few years" are we still really talking the sliding 3-5 year time frame that has been the "window" for the past 3-5 years?

If the VeeGees don't get their playoff acts together, this team goes nowhere even if Patrick is the best player and Carter Hart is "the answer" in net.

1 minute ago, radoran said:

Isn't it a LITTLE disconcerting that your rookie pick with no playoff experience is the "best player" and the 100 point "Hart candidate" and his 85 point partner have three points and zero goals between them?

This is a concern and it has been brought up in the past.  Our 8M dollar players really did not show anything in this series.  But, I also think it has something to do with the Pens game plan.   Take away G and Jakes time and space and let the others beat you.  Simmonds is non-existent out there and has provided nothing in the series.  All 3 of them are the "core" as it stands today and the "core" came up small again.   I do believe if they had more firepower throughout the lineup it would help G and Jake.   

To me it was great to see NP play so well.  Now, I would have slid G to center b/c it at least gives you more balance in your lineup.  NP was the best Flyer in this series going into last night's game IMO.

I ask this because the "ready in a few years" mantra seems to overlook the fact that these two unproductive playoff performers (93 with three points and one goal in his past 10 playoff games and 28 with TWO over that span) are taking up $16.5M on the salary cap and will likely still be doing so in "a few years" as they are both signed for at least the next four seasons...

Well, you and I have been on the same page with this for a long time.   I know they are rebuilding but the time this Team is ready to contend (if things go right btw) G and Jake are going to be secondary players making taking up a lot of cap.  But then again, Hextall created this issue with giving Jake a HUGE contract after a career year when he didn't even need to sign him.

I wanted Giroux to finally have a breakout postseason and instead he's gone practically invisible. Again.

Crosby has as many points in his past five playoff games as Giroux has in his past five playoff YEARS.

So by "a few years" are we still really talking the sliding 3-5 year time frame that has been the "window" for the past 3-5 years?

If the VeeGees don't get their playoff acts together, this team goes nowhere even if Patrick is the best player and Carter Hart is "the answer" in net.

This has been my question...  A lot of folks seem to think by just adding a few prospects to the lineup they automatically are a better team.   There is a chance they might be better but we won't know for sure.  This is a huge off-season for Hextall in my opinion.  He needs to let the dead weight walk and bring in players that can help this Team.  The mantra of "just get into the playoffs and you never know" is total BS to me - you might catch lightning in a bottle but better teams win in the playoffs in most cases.   If Hextall *wants* to be a viable playoff team he has his work cut out for him.  They need scoring and they need someone b/t the pipes that can at least provide some sense of consistency.   Elliot was terrible in the playoffs last year and terrible again this year.   

We are one loss away from the off-season and I hope Hextall has a plan.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

Maybe. 

Maybe the thought was if they put him in there after playing 30 minutes in the last 2-3 months when already down 2-1 in the playoffs and it goes badly that there would be a mob with pitchforks between the building and his car.   

Starting him would have been the wrong play.   The problem was, he didn't legitimately have the right play.

That's not to say I don't think your complaint is valid.   I think it is.   But I think it goes to a general complaint that is forming:   Hakstol makes decisions based on a desire to not lose rather than to throw in and play to win.   I think that's a dangerous approach, and I think it's starting to permeate this team.    I think it is very likely the reason you see a game like last night (the series, really) where you see very low shot counts.   They're circling the wagons and trying to not lose rather than raining shots.    The problem--with this team, in particular--with this approach is that we have a very young, still not ready for prime time defense and a not very responsible forward group capable of playing that kind of game.  It's dangerous for any team, but it can work in a 1-2-2 or 1-3-1 system we're not playing.   And it's further doomed to failure when you have a merry-go-round of incapable goaltenders who continually allow harmless shots to turn the light on.

Until or unless this coach changes his approach and plays to win -- something I don't think he's constitutionally capable of -- and some decent goaltending behind a continually growing defense, this is what you'll see.     

I can agree with you now that I think about it. I would have been pretty pissed if they went with Neuvirth and got beat in the fashion that they did. I can say that this meltdown is not 100% on coaching, goaltending, players, etc. Pittsburgh, as much as it pains me to say, is light years ahead of the Flyers in all areas of play. This sucks, but it is the truth. Now, what bothers me is the odd lines, refusal to make a goalie change when it is clear that one is needed, and his in ability to utilize a time out. Also, these playoffs had really exemplified how undisciplined this team can be at the wrong times. I get that there are a lot of young pups out there and they may have a tougher time controlling their emotions, but for Voracek and Read let their emotions solidify the outcome of a game, that to me is unacceptable. 

Now on to Ronald Hextall, he had a lot of work cut out for him this Summer. I am, like most fans, growing rather impatient. I thought the team would improve over the years, but they are not. They have been a bubble team for the last five years. That needs to change and fast. The cupboard is full and the coffers should have roughly $13mm to spend this year. Maybe it is time to make a significant UFA signing and perhaps trade a pick to land a solid stop gap goalie until Hart is ready. By my estimates that is still another 2-3 years before Carter Hart is in the NHL and it could be another five until he is primed and ready to go. While I am not preaching to go full Homgren, I would explore trading one of either Neuvirth or Eilliot, a pick and perhaps a prospect to get an upgrade in net. Also, would it be out of the questions to look into the Tavres sweepstakes? Or make another go at JvR?

Top 3 Lines could look like:

Konecny-Couturier-Giroux

Patirck-Taveres-Voracek

Simmonds-Laughton-Weal

Or

Konecny-Couturier-Giroux

JvR-Patrick-Voracek

Simmonds-Laughton-Weal

I know that this team has at least one more game and that should be the focus, but this summer I want to see an improvement for 2018-19. Something. Anything. PLEASE!

@murraycraven

really good post.

The Pens have loaded up on G, he's a special player but he can't do it alone, and until someone else makes a play somewhere they will keep the pressure on. The Pens are right in the sweet spot, they have mature superstars and are finding ways to supplement them with good role players...it doesn't hurt that guys want to play with 87, easier to get them to come aboard and not take full $.  

The team is at an odd spot. How best to go forward, sign or trade for some better guys ?  Let the kids keep baking ?

Go all in on Karlsson or Tavares ?  I don't know, there is promise, with Patrick. TK, Sanheim, Provorov...there's some good veteran presence with Giroux and Voracek, where is the "window" ultimately. To my way of thinking there comes a time when a team needs to try to win and knock it off with the magic beans of drafting boys and hoping they become men.  

It will be interesting so see who rises for the Phantoms in their playoffs.

I'm glad it's not my job, it's not easy.

Not sky is falling, frustration the way they go about it. The corporates are all excited about the gate receipts from 2 home drubbings. They haven't a clue about the passion of the fans, nor the better way IMO of competing for a cup. If this was really about learning, WTF was #47 and #23 in and #8 out. Also, I have never suggested having a line brawl, but if Hextall is determined to ice a team of uncompetitive players, can he not find 3 or 4 guys who are bigger and can skate, versus the 3 or 4 zambonis they dressed last night. I swear every time I looked up from my book last night someone was lying on the ice or picking up their stick. Thats my frustration. When Cindy walks out from behind the net and Giroux and Ghost are flailing so as not to get hit, thats my frustration. The Pens have total physical immunity in this series. I dont even think they needed soap and hot water last night, thats how non combative this team is. There are bigger players about who are not goons who would offer a whole bunch more comfort to #9 19 53 than 40 or 21. Thats my frustration. Hextall played with more passion and compete than you can even imagine, yet he seems to strive for a lineup that don't. If you watch any of the other 7 series going on right now it looks like a different gender playing. thats my frustration.

21 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Now on to Ronald Hextall, he had a lot of work cut out for him this Summer. I am, like most fans, growing rather impatient. I thought the team would improve over the years, but they are not. They have been a bubble team for the last five years. That needs to change and fast. The cupboard is full and the coffers should have roughly $13mm to spend this year. Maybe it is time to make a significant UFA signing and perhaps trade a pick to land a solid stop gap goalie until Hart is ready. By my estimates that is still another 2-3 years before Carter Hart is in the NHL and it could be another five until he is primed and ready to go. While I am not preaching to go full Homgren, I would explore trading one of either Neuvirth or Eilliot, a pick and perhaps a prospect to get an upgrade in net. Also, would it be out of the questions to look into the Tavres sweepstakes? Or make another go at JvR?

Top 3 Lines could look like:

Konecny-Couturier-Giroux

Patirck-Taveres-Voracek

Simmonds-Laughton-Weal

Or

Konecny-Couturier-Giroux

JvR-Patrick-Voracek

Simmonds-Laughton-Weal

If it's for a goalie, I might be okay with a package.  I'm hesitant on the forwards because I do think we have some good players coming and would hate for them to be blocked.  I didn't like JVR the first time around and haven't really liked him in Toronto but would entertain it because I get where you're going with that.

I don't want to move Patrick to wing.  That's one of the reasons I wouldn't do Tavares.  But I'm also not actually a Tavares fan.  I think I posted my reasons elsewhere in a post to, I think, Brelic so I won't bore  you with a repeat.   I wouldn't hate the move.  It's not a VLC move.  I just don't think we get the bang for the buck we think it would be.    And to tell you the truth, I'd be more inclined to go for a winger.  It's actually too bad we didn't know Hall was available.  It probably would have taken Provy or Ghost, so I'd pass there, too.

Lastly, I'm really over Laughton and have never liked Weal.  I think  I'd try to sneak Laughton into the package for the goalie.  On a team that was horrible last night, Laughton might have been the worst among those not wearing goalie pads.  And he's been bad.   I'm convinced he's never going to happen.   And Weal is not an NHL player.  He's a stop gap until kids are ready, but he doesn't at all impress me.  If they have other options next year, he stays in Lehigh or I try to move him to a team with a GM not paying attention.

I said lastly, but one more lastly.   I really hope Simmonds was injury this year and that he's better next year. Otherwise, he's actually a huge problem.   And I love the guy.  

22 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

and #23 in and #8 out

I'll give you that one.

My weak link in all of this is the coach.   I still don't get a lot of what he does.   I want to give him a little cover because I do understand that in some instances he doesn't have a lot to work with.   I also think I get that he doesn't like Hagg with Gudas.   I don't actually like anyone with Gudas.   I get that he's a right handed shot.   But if that's his only reason for being in the lineup, that's weak.  

So while I kind of get his thinking, I think it's still flawed.  Put the kid in.   And for the love of God, explain to me why Manning is out there on the penalty kill!   

With Hakstol, I'm going to harp on the "play not to lose" thing.  I think it explains a lot of what he does.  For me, that's not a defense; it's an indictment.

I think he deserves another year but won't shed a tear if he's not given it.   Because I have no confidence that we're not still having these exact same conversations regarding him next April.

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Lastly, I'm really over Laughton and have never liked Weal.  I think  I'd try to sneak Laughton into the package for the goalie.  On a team that was horrible last night, Laughton might have been the worst among those not wearing goalie pads.  And he's been bad.   I'm convinced he's never going to happen.   And Weal is not an NHL player.  He's a stop gap until kids are ready, but he doesn't at all impress me.  If they have other options next year, he stays in Lehigh or I try to move him to a team with a GM not paying attention.

I said lastly, but one more lastly.   I really hope Simmonds was injury this year and that he's better next year. Otherwise, he's actually a huge problem.   And I love the guy.  

I agree with Laughton. He showed promise in the past, but man that guy has a low hockey IQ and concrete hands. If they can package him I am all for it. 

I see your point on Tavares and I am going through the thread seeing what you said to Brelic earlier. He would most certainly block a path and Patrick may not be a good option a wing. JvR, while here, was very uninspiring, but getting a bigger body on wing that can score is what this top six needs. 

Simmonds scares me right now, but he has done too much good while here to give up on him. I think he bounces back next season. However, I would move him if the price... cough.... couch Carey Price.... was right. Okay, now I am dreaming. 

26 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

The Pens have total physical immunity in this series. I dont even think they needed soap and hot water last night, thats how non combative this team is.

I ragged on you (I think it was you) for "heartless" earlier.   That performance last night was as damn close to heartless as you can come.  I don't think they started out that way.   I think "defeated"  (or "whipped") is a better term than "heartless" even last night, but I wouldn't jump at that word like I did earlier in the week.

If your reason for playing is not to lose and your losing 3-0 or 4-0 like they were, that has to be a psychological kick in the ####.   If you're playing to win and down like that, keep playing!

19 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

The team is at an odd spot. How best to go forward, sign or trade for some better guys ?  Let the kids keep baking ?

Go all in on Karlsson or Tavares ?  I don't know, there is promise, with Patrick. TK, Sanheim, Provorov...there's some good veteran presence with Giroux and Voracek, where is the "window" ultimately. To my way of thinking there comes a time when a team needs to try to win and knock it off with the magic beans of drafting boys and hoping they become men.  

It will be interesting so see who rises for the Phantoms in their playoffs.

I'm glad it's not my job, it's not easy.

Definitely an odd spot. Actually, I thought the Flyers were better than they're showing in the playoffs. I knew they were a bubble team, but I didn't expect them to be so thoroughly dominated and neutered. The games aren't even close! By the 2nd period, it's over, and it's painful to watch. 7-0, 5-0, 5-1? Ouch. 

So right now, it's hard to really say where this team is at. 

Will Patrick be the next-gen elite player we need to take over from Giroux? I don't know. I hope so, but he was never touted as that kind of player. I've seen comparisons to Toews in terms of point production and leadership and two-way play. That's fine, and it's great to have a player like that, but Toews also tops out in the 60 point range. 

Is Konecny that guy? 30+ goal scorer, 80+ points? He sure seems like he could be. 

Outside of that, it's hard to say. Frost is 3 years away from really understanding what we have - next year in junior, the following year as a rookie in the NHL/AHL, and then in the 3rd year we should see a comfortable player settling in. 

Hart is 2-4 years away. 

Really, the only new player with potential offensive impact I see coming up next year is NAK. He seems to me like a middle six guy. What can we expect next year? 25 points? 

So, it seems like it will be more of the same unless and until moves are made. 

I think trading Simmonds in the offseason is objective #1. 

Finding a real goalie should be #1A.

Moving at least one defenseman to make room for Morin next year might be a summer or pre-season decision.

What else can Hextall realistically do? Outside of JT and EK, are there any really good UFAs worth pursuing?

https://capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents

And then, who do you move to make space?

UFAs.JPG

1 minute ago, Bertmega said:

However, I would move him if the price... cough.... couch Carey Price.... was right. Okay, now I am dreaming.

Yes.

My problem with Price would be similar to my problem with Tavares in terms of the blocking thing.  He has an absurdly long contract for a goalie and I think that's crazy on a goalie.

I'd honestly be happy with competent at this point.   Wouldn't even that be refreshing?

Hakstol would better suited coaching seven year olds. No PRESSURE..No expectations.. No clue...And best of all cookies and milk. This guy needs 100 xanax and a councillor..Hes almost as bad as Elliott neuivirth and the other mongering team members...PATHETIC..CHEW that gum harder elliott....

1 minute ago, Kastompa01 said:

This guy needs 100 xanax and a councillor

I'm not sure Xanax does what you think it does, unless your intent is to put him (further) into a coma.   If that's the intent, okay, I'm on board.    But xanax won't give him human emotion or reactions if that's what you're going for.

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'm not sure Xanax does what you think it does, unless your intent is to put him (further) into a coma.   If that's the intent, okay, I'm on board.    But xanax won't give him human emotion or reactions if that's what you're going for.

He panics..And he chokes....Had no clue..Had a fire started he would have fainted and perished..

Barring any moves, we have - 

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Simmonds/Laughton/Raffl

Weal/Lehtera/Weise

Gone - Read, Filppula

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/MacDonald

Gudas/Hagg

Gone - Manning

Elliott / Neuvirth

Gone - No one, unfortunately

What about this?

Trade Simmonds and Gudas.

Trade one of Neuvirth or Elliott.

Maybe one of the trades gets you Reinhart or Sam Bennett.

Sign the non-Swedish version of Karlsson, John Carlson.

Sign E. Kane (I know, I know, I was completely against it last month!).

G/Coots/TK or Voracek

Kane/Patrick/Voracek or TK

Lindblom/Bennett or Reinhart/Aube-Kubel

Leier/Vecchione/Raffl

Provorov/Carlson

Ghost/Sanheim

Hagg/MacDonald

Morin

3 minutes ago, Kastompa01 said:

He panics..And he chokes....Had no clue..Had a fire started he would have fainted and perished..

I don't disagree with the premise.   In fact, I couldn't possibly argue with that statement.  Just saying xanax probably isn't the way to go if you want an improvement.  Unless killing him is your improvement objective (not really arguing with that either).

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

Barring any moves, we have - 

G/Coots/TK

Lindblom/Patrick/Voracek

Simmonds/Laughton/Raffl

Weal/Lehtera/Weise

Gone - Read, Filppula

Provorov/Ghost

Sanheim/MacDonald

Gudas/Hagg

Gone - Manning

Elliott / Neuvirth

Gone - No one, unfortunately

What about this?

Trade Simmonds and Gudas.

Trade one of Neuvirth or Elliott.

Maybe one of the trades gets you Reinhart or Sam Bennett.

Sign the non-Swedish version of Karlsson, John Carlson.

Sign E. Kane (I know, I know, I was completely against it last month!).

G/Coots/TK or Voracek

Kane/Patrick/Voracek or TK

Lindblom/Bennett or Reinhart/Aube-Kubel

Leier/Vecchione/Raffl

Provorov/Carlson

Ghost/Sanheim

Hagg/MacDonald

Morin

Well, Kane gets you the winger.  I don't like him and am against it in principle but can't argue that it's a horrible idea.

Simmonds is tough.  I think you get less for him now than at any time during his Flyers tenure, unless someone thinks this year was an aberration due to injury.  Waiting to see if he bounces back next year also has its challenges.   First, say he does bounce back and the Flyers are doing well.   It's hard to trade him at the deadline in that case because you end up doing what we criticized Armstrong for in St. Louis when he traded Stastny.  But I don't see them giving him a raise so then you lose him for nothing.   I don't have a good answer, but I'm thinking this offseason is probably the time.

I think trading Gudas might be the way to go if the coach doesn't like Hagg with him.  I really do think Hagg is a better option than either Manning or Gudas.   So if Gudas is actually the one blocking Hagg, then he has to go from where I sit.    A neutered Gudas has little value.  But given that, I think he's more likely a trade for a pick than bait for anything of immediate value.   I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first or last time.

It would be a strange fit of irony if we traded for Carlson.  He could have been here for years.  I do think he'd instantly make the defense better (not "defense," necessarily, but from an offense/PP standpoint).   

You and I have talked about this before.    You paint what I think is an accurate picture that without a move, next year's team looks like more of the same with the possible caveat that you have one more year under some of the kids' belts.    A competent goalie might help tremendously, though.  And even a non-splashy/flashy improvement of the bottom six would do wonders.    This may be the summer to finally address top-six winger and bump some people down to more appropriate roles.

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I can't tell you how many times I've actually typed "Nolan Ryan" myself, and I cannot explain why.

I guess there is greatness associated with that name and what we hope for with Patrick. 

Or it is just the deteoration of my brain cells. 

4 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You paint what I think is an accurate picture that without a move, next year's team looks like more of the same with the possible caveat that you have one more year under some of the kids' belts.    A competent goalie might help tremendously, though.  And even a non-splashy/flashy improvement of the bottom six would do wonders.    This may be the summer to finally address top-six winger and bump some people down to more appropriate roles.

If Hextall sits on his hands this off-season I might have a coronary.  He talks about progress... well, they made progress this year.  Now they need to start really prepping for the future.  You know where some of your prospects are slotted to play in the future but that should not keep Ronald from trying to make this team better next year.   It is to the point that I feel like he owes it to the fans and the players on the ice.   He will have cap room to work with and and some expiring contracts.   Something needs to be done to help this team...   

We are heading into the 5th year of the 5 year plan and we are still a good bit away from being a a viable playoff team - let alone a contender.  Time for Ronald to get this thing going...  not all of the prospects are going to pan out.  

1 hour ago, Bertmega said:

I know that this team has at least one more game and that should be the focus, but this summer I want to see an improvement for 2018-19. Something. Anything. PLEASE!

preach it brother...

it is time for it...   going into the 5th year of a 5 year plan.   It is time to make some moves.   

6 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

If Hextall sits on his hands this off-season I might have a coronary.  He talks about progress... well, they made progress this year.  Now they need to start really prepping for the future.  You know where some of your prospects are slotted to play in the future but that should not keep Ronald from trying to make this team better next year.   It is to the point that I feel like he owes it to the fans and the players on the ice.   He will have cap room to work with and and some expiring contracts.   Something needs to be done to help this team...   

We are heading into the 5th year of the 5 year plan and we are still a good bit away from being a a viable playoff team - let alone a contender.  Time for Ronald to get this thing going...  not all of the prospects are going to pan out.  

I think I agree.  It's time.  Our "core" isn't getting any younger.   Or at least the older "core" anyway.   I'm not a fan of Voracek, but if the thought is that you want to keep him for the contender stage, bring the contender stage to him.  Waiting is foolish and will only bring about the perpetual 5-year plan that people are growing (have grown) weary of.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

To my way of thinking there comes a time when a team needs to try to win and knock it off with the magic beans of drafting boys and hoping they become men.  

And that time has to be when the veterans on the team are able to meaningfully contribute.  When the Morgan Frosts and whoever else of the world arrive, guys like Giroux and Voracek on longer term deals will be longer in the tooth and probably less "effective" than they are today.  Are Patrick and Konceny (and possibly Lindblom) able to pick up the slack within the time?  Point is, they cannot keep saying we have a 3 or 5 year plan at the same time believing that Giroux, Voracek and Simmonds will be effective at that time or even on the team (at least in the case of Simmonds).  I'm comforted that Giroux had a great regular season.  And hopefully moving him to wing will slow erosion in his game going forward.

Archived