Game 5: Knights at Flyers; 10/13 @ 1 PM

Howie58

Terrible they don't call the high stick to Ivan's face and they call a tap on Huala's hand when Simmer tried to lift th stick.

But the Flyers had multiple, multiple times to score a goal or even a few...some on a empty net, they got as many points as the earned.

It was obvious the Flyers were slowing down bad at the end of the third... ie starting to give away too much ice time in their zone and not being able to clear.  You think clueless could have maybe called a time out to get everyone on track and give them some air time.....     nah.

I will never watch another Flyers game until Dirk Handspunk and company are fired. I've never seen a more inept coaching group who continually gets less and less out of the lineup that they have. It's unreal how Hexy gives these guys a CONTINUAL free pass. This is an incredibly bad coached hockey club. Could you picture what even a mildly competent coach and staff could do with this club? It's ridiculous to watch this same apathetic garbage for a fourth season now. Zero adjustments made, the same "heroes of the Hakshell/turd hole power" defensive play in the third period, just garbage all around. I can't see how players can stomach this, especially guys who are now on the downside of their career and seeing the sands of time slowly slip away and not being any closer to Stanley Cup contention. Even Giroux seems apathetic to the cause. It's heartbreaking to watch this mess. As a fan of over 40 years, I've never seen a worse coached club and that's saying something. They win in spite of this coaching collection of crap. I'm done.

I thought this was the Flyers best game so far. They controlled play for most of the game, and had lots of chances to win. Power plays, breakaways, and grade A chances. 

The Knights controlled most of the third, and capitalized on a Coots mistake with an absolute snipe to beat Elliott. 

And they did this with Patrick and JVR out, and losing Laughton and Lindblom for a period. 

I still think they play too much of a perimeter game, but overall, solid effort with a wounded squad. 

4 hours ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I will never watch another Flyers game until Dirk Handspunk and company are fired. I've never seen a more inept coaching group who continually gets less and less out of the lineup that they have. It's unreal how Hexy gives these guys a CONTINUAL free pass. This is an incredibly bad coached hockey club. Could you picture what even a mildly competent coach and staff could do with this club? It's ridiculous to watch this same apathetic garbage for a fourth season now. Zero adjustments made, the same "heroes of the Hakshell/turd hole power" defensive play in the third period, just garbage all around. I can't see how players can stomach this, especially guys who are now on the downside of their career and seeing the sands of time slowly slip away and not being any closer to Stanley Cup contention. Even Giroux seems apathetic to the cause. It's heartbreaking to watch this mess. As a fan of over 40 years, I've never seen a worse coached club and that's saying something. They win in spite of this coaching collection of crap. I'm done.

Can you remember Cashman? At least Clarke fired him midway through the season. I'd rate Hak as second or third worst, depending on how badly Berube's tenure is considered. 

I thought this would be shoot 'em up.  Instead it was a goaltending clinic. I will stay with day job. 

It's hard to fault effort. The team worked. Even Weise seemed with it.  Fleury was the difference.  Florida will be a big test.

They just have to bury their chances....and they didn't....that ain't on Hak...

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Then they don't call the high stick on Ivan but they do on the Simmer tap...which one is more dangerous???

giphy.gif

Have to bury your chances...

giphy.gif

...time to look in the mirror.

7 hours ago, Lunatic said:

Can you remember Cashman? At least Clarke fired him midway through the season. I'd rate Hak as second or third worst, depending on how badly Berube's tenure is considered. 

I'd put Berube as worse, but it's arguable.  The shortcomings of each are similar in many ways.  Neither seem to have an ounce of strategic ability or cognition. 

At least Berube could fight. 

But let's not limit this strictly to Hakstol.  The entire staff is lacking. I love Lappy as a player, but his approach to penalty killing was "stick anything you can in front of a shot.". It's not exactly a strategy. 

I think the power play should be better. 

I'm not sure what's causing us to hire those we are, but that's the part that needs to be changed. Because unless it is, we'll finally get our wish and Hakstol will be fired--only to be replaced by someone with similar approach and "strategy." 

Was at the game on Saturday with my son.  Overall, I though they skated hard and deserved a better fate.  Fleury was the difference.  Thought Jake played well.  I don't know what the official stats were, but I thought there was very little physicality.  Not saying people need to be run through the boards, but there just seems to be very little hitting anymore.  Couple of other nits: a lot of plays/rushes/etc. were broken up by poor passing.  lots of pucks in skates and blind, behind the back passes drove me nuts.  I think Weal had a badone at the top of his own zone.  Also, Couturier really needs to bear down on that clearing attempt.  He lollygagged it into the zone and got out hustled on the clearing attempt.  Hope that kind of stuff gets cleaned up as the season goes on.

On 10/14/2018 at 6:38 AM, ruxpin said:

I love Lappy as a player, but his approach to penalty killing was "stick anything you can in front of a shot.". It's not exactly a strategy. 

I can barely put into words my frustration with the PK.  How can it be this bad for this long?  I recall hearing an interview or reading something about how the coaches studied it this offseason to find ways to make improvements.  And the apparent solution was to keep playing the same passive box?  It's just unreal to me.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:38 AM, ruxpin said:

Lappy as a player, but his approach to penalty killing was "stick anything you can in front of a shot.". It's not exactly a strategy. 

Lol, it's not?!

2 hours ago, vis said:

I can barely put into words my frustration with the PK.  How can it be this bad for this long?  I recall hearing an interview or reading something about how the coaches studied it this offseason to find ways to make improvements.  And the apparent solution was to keep playing the same passive box?  It's just unreal to me.

I thought the general NHL consensus was aggressive PK wins the day? I guess maybe you have to have the right people to execute it....and maybe we don't.

8 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I thought the general NHL consensus was aggressive PK wins the day? I guess maybe you have to have the right people to execute it....and maybe we don't.

I do think some of it is personnel.  I thought they changed some things around (e.g., putting Konecny out there), but it still looks like the same system.

4 minutes ago, vis said:

I do think some of it is personnel.  I thought they changed some things around (e.g., putting Konecny out there), but it still looks like the same system.

TK was a great PK guy in Jr.

I don't think it's rocket science:

1. Win the faceoff

2. Pressure the puck

3. Block lanes

4. Eat the puck if you have to

5. Get off the ice for fresh legs asap

Archived