Chuck Fletcher it is...

vis

On 12/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, mojo1917 said:

I hope it works out, obviously.

Uh, he did trade Brent Burns away. 

And he did cripple the Wild with those Parise and Suter contracts which will be on the books until the asteroid hits in Donald Trumps 3rd term.

Needless to say, I don't have the "high hopes". 

Just looking through the old threads on a slow day.

Most of us where all worried and rightfully so especially what we have been treated to since the 2009-10 Cup run.

But as of December 8th 2019 pretty much a year later i have to say i have been impressed with pretty much everything.

Sitting 3rd in the metro. 17-8-5 is a huge turn around especially when we look at how young they are too.

The coaching staff and the personnel moves...it goes to prove you can learn and you're not always doomed to repeat past mistakes.

Even all the Wild fans chiming in saying we are utterly doom i know they have to be upset they can't say "I told you so..."

All they need to do is keep their nose down and keep finding a way to grind out wins. Playoffs or bust.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Just looking through the old threads on a slow day.

Most of us where all worried and rightfully so especially what we have been treated to since the 2009-10 Cup run.

But as of December 8th 2019 pretty much a year later i have to say i have been impressed with pretty much everything.

Sitting 3rd in the metro. 17-8-5 is a huge turn around especially when we look at how young they are too.

The coaching staff and the personnel moves...it goes to prove you can learn and you're not always doomed to repeat past mistakes.

Even all the Wild fans chiming in saying we are utterly doom i know they have to be upset they can't say "I told you so..."

All they need to do is keep their nose down and keep finding a way to grind out wins. Playoffs or bust.

Fletcher did improve the coaching staff. Of course you or I could have done that. It was Hextalls biggest downfall.

He also brought in Niskanen which has helped steady the D. Braun hasn't done much to warrant any accolades.

Hayes has added depth to the centre position. But I'm not going to heap praise on what I still think is a terrible contract.

IMO, though,  the biggest gains this team has made are in goal, with Hart...at D, with Provorov/Sanheim/Myers adding great depth and the forward position with Konecny/Lindblom/Farabee/Frost and hopefully eventually Patrick. In a short span the guy added a lot of quality to the franchise....and they're still coming. That just needed some tweaking. To Fletchers credit, so far that's what he's done.

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/3/2018 at 12:45 PM, mojo1917 said:

I hope it works out, obviously.

Uh, he did trade Brent Burns away. 

And he did cripple the Wild with those Parise and Suter contracts which will be on the books until the asteroid hits in Donald Trumps 3rd term.

Needless to say, I don't have the "high hopes". 

Hey slow day just looking back at some old threads (and not singling you out just picked one) i'm tired of beating the old ones to death.

I guess we can add snagging Kirill Kaprizov to list of acomplishments in the 5th round.

This kid looks like a star in the making for the Wild.

Now if Chuckles can only swing a trade like Erik Gustafsson for Kirill would he have my respect.

Memories.

On 12/3/2018 at 12:55 PM, OccamsRazor said:

And he traded for Bryz!!!

So far he hasn't done anything to crazy and well not much at all.

He needs to do something aggressive and bold to shake this team up soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Hey slow day just looking back at some old threads (and not singling you out just picked one) i'm tired of beating the old ones to death.

I guess we can add snagging Kirill Kaprizov to list of acomplishments in the 5th round.

This kid looks like a star in the making for the Wild.

Now if Chuckles can only swing a trade like Erik Gustafsson for Kirill would he have my respect.

Memories.

So far he hasn't done anything to crazy and well not much at all.

He needs to do something aggressive and bold to shake this team up soon.

I think I've washed the taste of crow outta my mouth since this post.

I didn't post anything that was untrue. 

I would as of today say the Fletcher era has had more hits than misses.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh i agree i was skeptical as well only knowing some of what he had done in Minny but i don't recall you being someone who said this was straight up a disaster but many of the Minny fans sure chimed in to bash the guy for sure.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Oh and i wasn't singling you out by this just one of the first ones i clicked on but you're also like me man enough to admit when we're wrong and i respect that.

Some here never own up to their serving of crow here and they know who they are. 

As i said i could be eating crow in a few years by dealing Patrick.

Sometimes we're right and sometimes we're wrong. Such is life.

• Good Post 1

Looking back at the trades Fletcher did for the Wild, I'd say maybe there were a few trades I wish wouldn't have been done (losing Tuch, acquiring Hanzal), but so what. Errors are made and how you're going to solve everything perfectly in a world as unperfect as it is... I do think the biggest flaw in Fletcher's era in the Wild was Fletcher not taking control of the room in the Wild. He was too nice a man to be able to handle our inmates running rampant and once Guerin stepped in, the authority was quickly taken back to where it belongs. Fletcher was an extremely decent man, I wish him all the best, and hope he's found some necessary ruthlessness into his style of leading (not as far as to beat the Wild, of course 😄).

• Like 2

I was one of those who didn't like the hire. We could only look at his previous scope of work and it wasn't exactly brilliant. 

Two and a half years in and he hasn't traded away all the youth/prospects for past their prime vets (other than Braun) which was a big concern so I'll tip my hat (and have) to him for that. But honestly, he hasn't done much that's made the team better either. He signed Hayes, which at this point just looks like it's going to be another Giroux/Voracek/JVR contract that is ok at first and we'll all learn to hate as he ages. 

Philly sits 16th right now, and we all know they don't look that good. If Hextall stayed and we were sitting 16th (and let's face it...sliding) how many would be thrilled about that? And Gordon is still, somehow, coaching LV. 

His drafting is still a work in progress. His trades have been pretty meh.

I'd say so far Fletcher has been ok. Not great. Not terrible... mediocre.

9 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I'd say so far Fletcher has been ok. Not great. Not terrible... mediocre.

Yes. He needs to act soon to help ease the burden on Hart, Ivan and even Coots.

If not now then when??? I will say i was nota fan of bringing Braun back at all much less for two years.

I mean you can't tell me there weren't better options in free agency....it was to me a panic move.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Yes. He needs to act soon to help ease the burden on Hart, Ivan and even Coots.

If not now then when??? I will say i was nota fan of bringing Braun back at all much less for two years.

I mean you can't tell me there weren't better options in free agency....it was to me a panic move.

the lack of moves is telling me that this is an evaluation year for all the young players and figuring out if this is the team going forward or this offseason we are going to make major changes? this team wasnt going to win the stanley cup, to be honest with you, i think fletch knows it too and i think fans were the ones that actually thought that this was a cup team on paper because of the belief of all the youth that hextall drafted and giroux and jake stepping up, plus hart playing well we were going to be on the top of the world, which is not the case.

i think we need to make moves in the offseason to acquire new talent to build a new core, these current players arent it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tucson83 said:

i think fans were the ones that actually thought that this was a cup team on paper

I agree with mostly everything you said except this many of us disagree or various things here but i don't remember anyone saying this was a Cup team. I think a few of us including me thought they a re few pieces away from making a very good run but that is about it.

I think they could use one good scoring forward and a solid vet defenseman who is good is his own end.

I think every year is an evaluation year, to see how the new pieces fit and where there needs to be improvement as well who has shown growth and also deciding who can still help and who needs to be on their way out.