Flyers claim McKenna (G) off waivers

brelic

8 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

Can you cancel NHL Center Ice mid season and get a partial refund?.....

Asking for a friend.....

No sh it.

They claim a goalie who is 35 with 7 NHL wins!!!!!!!!!

And one of them was versus them this year!!!!!

Lose for Hughes!!!!!!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....
Normally a move like this I think, "Ok, this is a minor league move..... some bodies that need to play in the AHL while real NHL prospects are moved up"

However, given the Flyers' situation this season, he might ACTUALLY see NHL time with the big club.

As for those who asked who McKenna was, he basically is a minor league journeyman goaltender...putting up ok numbers while playing for various clubs down there, and seeing some occasional NHL action with a bunch of other clubs.

For those who said "desperation" about the Flyers, that seems about right....especially if he sees significant time with the Flyers themselves.
His wife may seemed "thrilled" to be coming to Philadelphia, but if Carter Hart really does take control over the crease (and Flyer management decides to put Stolarz or Lyon backing him up....ideally), then she may find that her stay in Philly (ahem...Lehigh Valley) may be with Phantoms accommodations instead of Flyer ones....

At any rate, yea, McKenna SHOULD be manning a Phantoms crease while younger more viable goalies play in Philly....but with the Flyers just wanting someone, ANYONE, who doesn't require duct tape to keep them in one piece, playing goal for them, Mr. McKenna just may see playing time with the big boys.

Also, what better way for the Flyers to sneakily "Lose For Hughes" eh? :shifty:

4 minutes ago, hf101 said:

It seems to me Fletcher as a plan to move one or more of the 5 goaltenders not named Carter Hart in a trade.

I think they need a pulse to qualify though, right? Lol

I think you’re right, that he’s looking at a longer term plan, but I think McKenna was a desperation move because of circumstances. Pretty much Pickard redux.

The Flyers have a shortage of healthy bodies. And I think that *really* messes with whatever plan he’s got. 

4 minutes ago, brelic said:

I think they need a pulse to qualify though, right? Lol

Yeah true. I'm not sure who's backing up Lyon these days or who is playing in Reading.

Just now, hf101 said:

Yeah true. I'm not sure who's backing up Lyon these days or who is playing in Reading.

I think this is a smart move by Fletcher horde ALL the goalies THEN someone has to do business with him if one goes down!

BRILLIANT!!!!!

:bonkingheadonwall:

18 minutes ago, hf101 said:

On a serious note they have the damn space go sign Kari Lehtonen to finish the year/audition whatever and send Hart back to the AHL.

9 hours ago, vis said:

Who the **** is Mike McKenna?

What a joke.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I truly believe Neuvirth has mental issues.  Probably some form of anxiety.

Munchausen syndrome.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

It seems to me Fletcher as a plan to move one or more of the 5 goaltenders not named Carter Hart in a trade.

B...b...bu...butt...they get hurt when they move!

47 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Munchausen syndrome.

Yessir.  Or maybe severe anxiety which results in him faking injuries to avoid feeling that way.  Remember when he passed out on the ice?  Like, wtf?

7 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

On a serious note they have the damn space go sign Kari Lehtonen to finish the year/audition whatever and send Hart back to the AHL.

Good idea. But CF obviously couldn't think that far:

McKenna 35 years old, Lehtonen 35.

Lehtonen 310 wins in 649 games, SV% 0.912, McKenna 7 wins in 34 games, SV% 0.892

CF: "We take McKenna in a heartbeat!" Or has Lehtonen retired already...

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Good idea. But CF obviously couldn't think that far:

McKenna 35 years old, Lehtonen 35.

Lehtonen 310 wins in 649 games, SV% 0.912, McKenna 7 wins in 34 games, SV% 0.892

CF: "We take McKenna in a heartbeat!" Or has Lehtonen retired already...

However if you want to tank....

giphy (9).gif

**wink wink**

..then you go with McKenna...

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

However if you want to tank....

giphy (9).gif

**wink wink**

..then you go with McKenna...

Tank? LOL. That's pure lottery, nothing guaranteed and the odds are minimal of getting the top pick. But hey, whatever makes you guys feel good about McKenna! 🙂 Hell, he might prove me wrong.

1 hour ago, Hockey-78 said:

Tank? LOL. That's pure lottery, nothing guaranteed and the odds are minimal of getting the top pick. But hey, whatever makes you guys feel good about McKenna! 🙂 Hell, he might prove me wrong.

Odds aren't horrible for first pick if we finish last. We're currently tied for last. 

And the only people happy about McKenna should be those who WANT to finish last. He's horrible. 

16 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Odds aren't horrible for first pick if we finish last. We're currently tied for last. 

And the only people happy about McKenna should be those who WANT to finish last. He's horrible. 

18% chance of something is minimal in my opinion.

Having the chance to pick first doesn't guarantee you'll get a superstar.

And IMO, in pro sports you should only aim for wins. Why losing purposely gets awarded is beyond me...

13 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

And IMO, in pro sports you should only aim for wins. Why losing purposely gets awarded is beyond me...

That post got better and better as it once. Yes, agree. Especially with the last part. 

48 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

Well I think it's a moot point to begin with.

They don't have to tank they are trying as hard as they can I guess the reality is they just aren't that good.

52 minutes ago, Hockey-78 said:

How did tanking work for Edmonton until they got McJesus? Asking for a friend.:ph34r:

Archived