Game 54: Kings at Flyers: 2/7/19 @ 7

Howie58

Greetings:

We are the fairly heavy favorite:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1082279/los-angeles-kings-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-2019-02-07/

Given our play of late, that is no surprise.  All in, it pits our offense versus their defense. 

At some point the streak ends.  This could be a "trap" game against a sub .500 club.  Of late, this has been a "Visitors" series:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Los_Angeles_Kings

Let's hope home ice advantage plays out.  

6 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, what strange times we live in.

Yep!  I thought that Turkey Day would be the turning point for this team. It was later than predicted--Hakstol was dismissed after 12/15.  

On face, the only way LA wins is some low-scoring affair.  They are 30th in offense.  

2 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Yep!  I thought that Turkey Day would be the turning point for this team. It was later than predicted--Hakstol was dismissed after 12/15.  

On face, the only way LA wins is some low-scoring affair.  They are 30th in offense.  

Agreed. 

Been busy with work and life and haven't gotten a chance to post much, but have really been enjoying this run.

In the past, I'd curtail my excitement in anticipation of the inevitable 10 game losing streak.  But now I think the stability that Hart brings to the crease has mitigated my concern.  I'm not saying that the current streak is sustainable.  Just saying that the "consistently inconsistent" nature of this team in terms of W's and L's may not be as prevalent since Hart seems capable of carrying this team to a W when their play dips.

My only concern at this point is how their play affects Fletcher's approach to the deadline.

As for the Kings, they are only a few points out of a PO spot in the West.  They beat the Rags and Devs.  Lost to NYI, but beat STL before that before Muzzin was traded.  Could be a real challenge, especially without Hart in net.  Their lineup looks dreadful to me, though.

Time to give Hart some rest.

Image result for anthony stolarz

Just keep winning.

Projected Lines (Subject to change)

FLYERS 

25 James van Riemsdyk - 28 Claude Giroux - 11 Travis Konecny
23 Oskar Lindblom - 14 Sean Couturier - 93 Jakub Voracek
21 Scott Laughton - 19 Nolan Patrick -17 Wayne Simmonds
44 Phil Varone - 20 Mikhail Vorobyev - 12 Michael Raffl

9 Ivan Provorov - 6 Travis Sanheim
8 Robert Hägg - 3 Radko Gudas
47 Andrew MacDonald - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere

41 Anthony Stolarz
[79 Carter Hart]

Scratches: 15 Jori Lehterä (healthy, on waivers), 26 Christian Folin (healthy), 56 Mike McKenna (AHL conditioning assignment), 30 Michal Neuvirth (IR, lower body), 37 Brian Elliott (IR, lower body), 10 Corban Knight (IR, collarbone), 5 Sam Morin (ACL surgery).

KINGS

19 Alex Iafallo - 11 Anze Kopitar - 23 Dustin Brown
14 Brendan Leipsic - 44 Nate Thompson - 73 Tyler Toffoli
17 Ilya Kovalchuk - 9 Adrian Kempe - 62 Carl Hagelin
13 Kyle Clifford - 10 Mike Amadio - 51 Austin Wagner

24 Derek Forbort - 8 Drew Doughty
27 Alec Martinez - 7 Oscar Fantenberg
2 Paul Ladue - 3 Dion Phaneuf

32 Jonathan Quick
[36 Jack Campbell]

Scratches: 61 Sean Walker (healthy), 64 Matt Luff (healthy), 77 Jeff Carter (lower body), 22 Trevor Lewis (IR, foot), 76 Jonny Brodzinski (IR, shoulder).

Wonder when the trades start??? Keep winning there might now be any. Good motivation.

On 2/6/2019 at 10:54 AM, Howie58 said:

Greetings:

We are the fairly heavy favorite:

https://sportsjaw.com/nhl/picks/1082279/los-angeles-kings-vs-philadelphia-flyers-prediction-2019-02-07/

Given our play of late, that is no surprise.  All in, it pits our offense versus their defense. 

At some point the streak ends.  This could be a "trap" game against a sub .500 club.  Of late, this has been a "Visitors" series:

http://www.flyershistory.com/cgi-bin/opponent.cgi?Los_Angeles_Kings

Let's hope home ice advantage plays out.  

They've got to be careful.  The Kings have been playing much better as of late.   Winners of 5/8 and doing well against the metro on this trip.

This is NOT a time to ease off the pedal.  These next two games against the Kings and Ducks are MUST WINS if the Flyers are going to keep pushing themselves back into the picture.  They're still a long way off and 4 points that they're supposed to get is 4 points they absolutely have to get.  

1 hour ago, Howie58 said:

Stolarz vs. Quick.  Interesting. Hopefully the Hart Effect carries over to others between the pipes.  

Won't be able to watch i am taking my 7 year old daughter to a daddy daughter dance at her school tonight....can't wait to impress her with this dad knack to cut the rug.....

...have to break out was tried and true dance my dad taught me at our beach house in Myrtle Beach...the Shag....she doesn't think this 47 year old dude can dance...

...anyways here's to another win....Stolie with another shutout.

Flyers-3  Laughton with the empty netter.

Kings-0

I sure hope @radoran doesn't jinx the going tonight!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Occ:  Have fun and work off those calories.  You are a semi-kid in my book.  Today is Number 61 on this end.   I may break out of wine mode and have something stronger.  

Howie

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

Won't be able to watch i am taking my 7 year old daughter to a daddy daughter dance at her school tonight....can't wait to impress her with this dad knack to cut the rug.....

...have to break out was tried and true dance my dad taught me at our beach house in Myrtle Beach...the Shag....she doesn't think this 47 year old dude can dance...

...anyways here's to another win....Stolie with another shutout.

Flyers-3  Laughton with the empty netter.

Kings-0

Stolarz played well.  I am sorry we lost the SO.  At least we got a point w

A Hart-Stolarz goalie tandem might not be so bad.  But we could use a sniper or two.  

There is no shame in this loss.  They competed.  This was what I feared--a low scoring game.  

Flyers were really sloppy with the puck.

They gave the puck twice as much as the KIngs. Can't win games like that.

TK and the top Dpair Sanheim and Ivan 7 give away between them.

They have to take better care of the puck especially in their own end.

Stolie kept them in this one. I think have to rebound with a win saturday can't afford to fall behind anymore.

That was a wicked shootout goal by Patrick.

Giroux's was awesome too...not enough...

They have to finish their chances close don't count...

And then all Gudas has to do is prevent the pass let the goalie have the shooter...and whiffs...Mcdud taught him well...

Then Mcdud trying to take the young star out..

Keystone Kops at their best...

Stolie played very well the whole game (though he was horrendous in the shootout). Assuming he can string together a few more games like this one before the end of the season, I'd be more than fine with a Hart/Stolie tandem next year. To me, Stolie has well outplayed Elliott for one, whom I'm thinking is probably the only other name of note in the conversation at this point.

Small sample size of course. I'd like to see him pull together a few more of these performances.

Dude really needs shootout practice though... 

As far as the actual game goes beyond the net, it's really been more of the same non? I think we have to take what positives we can. If we don't, we're going to be talking in circles here. I know some folks are holding on to a playoff berth, but given how hugely unlikely that is, we really shouldn't look off other good stories that come out of these remaining games. This whole season has been a disappointment. I'll take the daylight, even if it is fleeting. 

Stolie was a big positive in my book in this game. Let's make that the story.

18 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Well, I got them a loser point, eh?

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

There is no shame in this loss.  They competed. 

It certainly felt a lot like they were playing down to the Kings level. It was a very frustrating game as the Flyers would control play and then give up the breakaway.

I agree they "competed" but this is exactly the kind of point you need to get if you're digging yourself back into the playoff race. Facing a team missing Crater and giving up goals to Kempe and Wagner? Needing a goal with 17 seconds left to even salvage a point?

The Kings are the worst in the West and clearly going in the opposite direction. Ninth in a row or not, I would have preferred to see the Flyers assert themselves against this team more than they appeared to.

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

Dude really needs shootout practice though... 

You'd think all the breakaways he was facing would have helped? 👺

Honestly, Stolarz looked a little shaky to me. Wasn't as calm in his positioning and reaction that I've seen from him in the few previous games. Not sure why. Maybe the pressure of getting #9 in a row?

He did make a great save without his stick - but on the flip side he also lost his stick a couple times. (On that note, don't forwards give up their sticks to goalies anymore?)

2 hours ago, elmatus said:

I know some folks are holding on to a playoff berth, but given how hugely unlikely that is

Five Eight points out with 28 to play isn't insurmountable is daunting - but possible with the Eastern-loaded schedule they're playing down the stretch.

I think the two Pens games coming up are good benchmarks - if they're going to break into the playoffs they're going to have to show it there.

A potential "problem" is their ROW being several games behind the Pens and Canes for tiebreaking purposes.  Let's hope we have to worry about that potential problem.

The main "plus side" takeaway was that they kept fighting down the stretch and at least got the point out of it. Five points out is better than six, but, obviously, not as good as four.

Rad:  I think the one glaring error pointed out by Colby Cohen was the inability of the defender (maybe Gudas) to stop the pass on the 2 on 1.  Stolie was hung out. 

I started the thread by saying if we lose, it would probably be a low scoring game.  When your playing a team that's 30th in offense, the stats are giving you a warning.  I am glad we got the point. This was a weird game in terms of goalpost hits and near misses.  But I guess that happens.

Stolie did not look like the dude who shutout NY, but....stopping 37 of 39 ain't shabby.  For a big guy, he is quite mobile.  

Stolie may not have been great on the SO.  But his teammates looked a poop load worse....

59 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Stolarz vs. Quick.  Interesting. Hopefully the Hart Effect carries over to others between the pipes.  

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

well the streak ends at least they got the loser point.

Damn some pathetic attempts in the shootout besides Giroux and Patrick...zero creativity...

I can't understand how they don't work on this every practice.  like just 15 minutes at the end of every practice.  Bring in someone to do a clinic on penalty shots and work on executing every day.  

They've just been so bad at this for so long.  I don't need them to be good, but for the history of this OT format, the Flyers would fair much better if the refs just flipped a coin at the end of OT.  

Archived