2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

10 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Oilers have a bit of a cap issue, they will pay 4 forwards 32 million next 2 years. You could probably take on some salary from them and get a nice piece or 2 as well. Maybe something like Ghost and Laughton and Hagg for Larsson Lucic and Puljajarvi. Ya gotta break some eggs to make an omelet.

Ghost is the best player in that deal,  yes ?

I know Puljajarivi has talent but has under performed, doesn't sound like your kind of player.

Lucic is done.

Larrsson, I like and he fits a need. 

what if the deal was paired down to Ghost for Larrsson and they send us a pick ? say a 2nd ?

11 hours ago, elmatus said:

I don't mind Nuge, but Voracek is easily the superior player here.

See i disagree. Center carry way more value than wingers....especially ones who only put up 20 goals and are 3 years younger.

I'm afraid you are valuing Jake on what he did not what he may do.

Just compare their stats both on not so good teams...both on the 2nd line.

Voracek 

78 20 46 66 -16 25 4 18 0 0 2 0 210 9.5

Hopkins

82 28 41 69 -13 26 8 26 1 3 3 0 208 13.5

They are pretty close in production so i think Oilers have the better talent. Or we agree to disagree.

It is why i was including Hagg and the 11th pick to move up to the 8th.

Now they don't even have to include the picks but you might need to add something to make it happen.

RNH has the better contract. 2 X 6 mill. Jake 5 x 8.25.

So not sure if the Oilers would want that back but you would have to make it worth their while.

28 Claude Giroux  - 14 Sean Couturier - 11 Travis Konecny

25 James van Riemsdyk - 93 Ryan Nugent Hopkins - ?????????

23 Oskar Lindblom -19 Nolan Patrick - 38 Ryan Hartman
12 Michael Raffl - 21 Scott Laughton - 13 Nicolas Aube Kubel 

You can go into free agency to find the 2nd line RW i think. Or keep trading assets for one maybe.

I mean we are retooling why not.

11 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Maybe something like Ghost and Laughton and Hagg for Larsson Lucic and Puljajarvi.

I don't want to really trade Ghost but if i have to i want some better back...and to take Lucic back with 4 more years of 6 mill per would be goddamn insane as hell...and where would you even play him....better yet hell not even going to contemplate that. NO!

Talk about cap hell...they are just getting out of it why go back into it???

• Like 4

Man, you guys take everything way too literally. Its just a for instance the kind of trade you have to make in todays NHL in order to acquire decent pieces back. Maybe they should do nothing and just stay the way it is, that way nobody's feelings are hurt. I hate to burst your bubbles, but the youth in the system is probably not going to grow into what we are all hoping for. thats just the history of where they were taken in the draft. 

And mojo if you think that playing all 200 feet for all 82 games and earning your multi million dollar pay cheques and having pride in what you do and being accountable to your team mates is my type of player then you are correct.

3 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

And mojo if you think that playing all 200 feet for all 82 games and earning your multi million dollar pay cheques and having pride in what you do and being accountable to your team mates is my type of player then you are correct.

The Flyers have a pile of 200ft players.

I don't think the 200ft player is more of what the Flyers need, I do think they need more game breaking talent. 

Hitchcock turning Simon Gagner into a responsible 2 way player probably cost that guy and the team 150 goals over his career.

If I got a guy like Ovechkin, Kane or Gadreau...I don't give a rats ass that he plays defense, I don't, score me some goals son.

I want guys that hate to lose, I think there are a lot of those guys already on the team. i do think they need a vocal leader, I'm not sure that guy is on the roster. I do see Voracek trying, but he's been "fun Jake" for so long it may take a while to adapt to demanding Jake. 

It is clear you think hockey players make too much money and therefore should live up to a standard you feel is commensurate with their pay. That's all out of our  control, a thing is worth what someone will pay for it, some damn fool thinks highly skilled hockey players should make 8 million a year.  

Edited by mojo1917

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I'm afraid you are valuing Jake on what he did not what he may do.

Just compare their stats both on not so good teams...both on the 2nd line.

At 25, RNH isn't going to get magically better. His point totals in the last seven seasons:

24, 56, 56, 34, 43, 48, 69 (as McDavid's shotgun partner)

Over that time, he was the Oilers no.1 center for all but the last two years. He had every opportunity to grow into whatever hype he had around him when he was drafted, and he really never did. That's not to say he's a bad player, but the numbers don't favour him as much more than a 3C. Note this season appears to very much be an anomaly owing to his status as McJesus' wingman. He's never produced above 56 prior to this year, and seems just as likely to end up in the 35-45 pt range.

Voracek meanwhile:

46, 62, 81, 55, 61, 85, 66 (with zero McDavids)

Hell, Voracek's floor is basically RNH's ceiling with regards to likely production, and V's hit 80s twice. RNH couldn't even hit 80 running with the most talented player in the world.

Maybe if RNH was especially good defensively or something, I could see that having value to compensate for the difference in production, but Nuge is not exactly a perennial Selke candidate...

And yes, I'm comparing them on what they have accomplished, not on any kind of magic 8 ball projection of an idealized potential future. Again, RNH is not some young prospect who has yet to show his true colours in the NHL. He's been around long enough that we know what he's generally capable of.

That said, I'm still fine with trying him at a 2C-3C spot. I just wouldn't want to give up Voracek to get him, as Voracek is the better player imo (which frankly isn't exactly high praise for RNH).

Edited by elmatus
  • Good Post 1

2 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Man, you guys take everything way too literally. Its just a for instance the kind of trade you have to make in todays NHL in order to acquire decent pieces back. Maybe they should do nothing and just stay the way it is, that way nobody's feelings are hurt. I hate to burst your bubbles, but the youth in the system is probably not going to grow into what we are all hoping for. thats just the history of where they were taken in the draft. 

I can see a trade in the vein of Seth Jones for Ryan Johansen, or even Hamilton for Hanifin. It was a win-win for each team, and quality - not quantity - went both ways.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mojo1917 said:

Ghost is the best player in that deal,  yes ?

I know Puljajarivi has talent but has under performed, doesn't sound like your kind of player.

Lucic is done.

Larrsson, I like and he fits a need. 

what if the deal was paired down to Ghost for Larrsson and they send us a pick ? say a 2nd ?

I have less than zero interest in any deal involving Lucic. 

May be singularly the most ridiculously vulgar suggestion I've ever heard. 

Other than, "wanna go to Cracker Barrel?" 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

I don't want to really trade Ghost but if i have to i want some better back...and to take Lucic back with 4 more years of 6 mill per would be goddamn insane as hell...and where would you even play him....better yet hell not even going to contemplate that. NO!

Talk about cap hell...they are just getting out of it why go back into it???

This. 

I'm keeping my fingers from expressing the rest of my thoughts on it.  But Jesus, one of the very last players in the league I or anyone would consider

• Like 1

9 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

I would absolutely 100 chances out of 100 do absolutely nothing before trading even MacDonald for Lucic straight up. 

The guy has absolutely nothing and is a boat anchor. 

So is MacDonald at this point, but for only one more year. Lucic is an embarrassment. 

9 hours ago, flyer4ever said:

Who in the world are you referring to with that? 

Are you seriously referring to any of the Oilers you mentioned or did I miss a post?  Because it doesn't remotely resemble any of those Oilers. 

I'd consider Larsson. 

The next great one: 15 year old Shane Wright has been granted “exceptional status” to join the OHL a year early.

Flyers need to get a head start on their tanking....

TANK TANK  TANK  TANK  TANK  TANK 

Edited by OccamsRazor
TANK TANK TANK TANK TANK

38 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

The next great one: 15 year old Shane Wright has been granted “exceptional status” to join the OHL a year early.

Flyers need to get a head start on their tanking....

TANK TANK  TANK  TANK  TANK  TANK 

Not sure he's a "great one". Very good, yes. Wish my Colts finished dead last this year.

This mock draft has Flyers taking:

Philadelphia.gif

Ht/Wt:5' 7"/165 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: NTDP U18 

He just scored 4 goals today vs. Switzerland....Hughes with 4 assists...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Kind of small. Hope he grows some.

Pure goal scorer.

Edited by OccamsRazor

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

This mock draft has Flyers taking:

Philadelphia.gif

Ht/Wt:5' 7"/165 lbs
Position:C/RW
Team: NTDP U18 

He just scored 4 goals today vs. Switzerland....Hughes with 4 assists...

http://www.mynhldraft.com/NHL-Mock-Draft/

Kind of small. Hope he grows some.

Pure goal scorer.

I'd be ecstatic. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I'd be ecstatic. 

After Allison and Laczynski not wanting to sign now and go back to school, i would be pretty much done drafting guys from the college ranks. I'd rather go after them as undrafted free agents than waste a draft pick on them.

They will lose them both (a 2nd and a 6th ) for pretty much nothing to show for it unless they find a taker for them before August 15th of next year.

Draft the best player available on your board. If Cole Caufield is the best player at 11, then take him. He just turned 18 and he's probably got one final growth spurt that should be good to bring him up to 5'9 - 5'10. The 5'7 doesn't bug me though as he's got natural talent and skill and that more than makes up for any size issues that there is. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

Draft the best player available on your board. If Cole Caufield is the best player at 11, then take him. He just turned 18 and he's probably got one final growth spurt that should be good to bring him up to 5'9 - 5'10. The 5'7 doesn't bug me though as he's got natural talent and skill and that more than makes up for any size issues that there is. 

I'm not scared of the height either as long as he can find the twine like he has been touted i am good with him Cam Atkinson is getting by just find as a small forward in the NHL.

Danny Briere was very good too...his 30 points in 23 games in the 2010 playoffs will live in infamy!!! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

After Allison and Laczynski not wanting to sign now and go back to school, i would be pretty much done drafting guys from the college ranks. I'd rather go after them as undrafted free agents than waste a draft pick on them.

They will lose them both (a 2nd and a 6th ) for pretty much nothing to show for it unless they find a taker for them before August 15th of next year.

Ya...it's the reason there is a draft....so the bad teams can get better. Choosing where you go doesn't help that at all.