2019 NHL Entry Draft - Flyers Edition

pilldoc

If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ? Trade?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Flyers trade their #11 overall pick?

• Yes
    • No
    • Only for the right deal.
  2. 2. If the Flyers Keep the pick, If available at #11, who should the Flyers Draft ?

• Cozens, Dylan Lethbridge WHL C
    • Podkolzin, Vasily St. Petersburg KHL LW
    • Boldy, Matthew USA U18 NTDP LW
    • Krebs, Peyton Winnipeg WHL C
    • Caufield, Cole USA U18 NTDP RW
    • Zegras, Trevor USA U18 NTDP C
    • Dach, Kirby Saskatoon WHL C
    • York, Cam USA U18 NTDP LD
    • Newhook, Alex Victoria BCHL C
    • Soderstrom, Victor Brynas SweJE LD
    • Lavoie, Raphael Halifax QMJHL C
    • Broberg, Philip AIK IF SweAl LD
    • Seider, Moritz Mannheimer GerE RD
    • OTHER CHOICE

provorov, sanheim and TK must surely all be attractive offer sheet candidates...and with the haves terms, which apparently has a full NMC for the first three years and a partial for the remainder (12 team list), we can't afford another team to offersheet these guys

With the 45th pick i would like to snag this RW....

A nice big winger who can give the Flyers some nice size along the RW.  He is 20 so he could go and play for the Phantoms and fast track to the NHL and could help replace Allison if he doesn't sign. He turned 20 this past April.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/257755/brett-leason

Put up 25 points in 22 games for Prince Albert in the playoffs. Already 6-4 202. Needs to put on some more muscle.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CreaseAndAssist said:

I wrote about Bobby Brink in my forwards preview.  Read About Brink, the last prospect I profiled here

That's a good trade by Fletcher. Brink was borderline 1st round material. I don't hate him as much today. :IDunnoSmiley:

Edited by flyercanuck
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

That's a good trade by Fletcher. Brink was borderline 1st round material. I don't hate him as much today. :IDunnoSmiley:

The downside of the US development guys is after they have completed their junior year if not signed by Flyer they can sign with another club if they chose they don't have to wait till they have completed their 4th year.

It's risky as hell.

1 minute ago, OccamsRazor said:

The downside of the US development guys is after they have completed their junior year if not signed by Flyer they can sign with another club if they chose they don't have to wait till they have completed their 4th year.

It's risky as hell.

That sucks. 

Fletcher you stink! 

• Haha 1
  • Uggh... 1

I guess York and Brink have the highest chance of making it to the NHL...

...he will attending Denver...2nd most national titles with 8 only behind Michigan's 9... 

He will be coached by Matt Carle's younger brother David Carle.

Top 6 points per game last year in USHL

1) Turcotte - 2.125
2) Hughes - 2.0
3) Brink - 1.581
4) Boldy - 1.536
5) Zegras - 1.481
6) Caulfield - 1.464

Edited by OccamsRazor

The Flyers had a fantastic draft. I know people were freaking out about Cam York on Twitter and CSN Philly, but this is a really good and solid pick. I wanted Soderstrom, personally, but there's nothing wrong with the USNTDP product that was a +40, had 65 points in 63 games and is going to a renowned hockey program where they'll help address his physical deficiencies and get him up to par.

As for Brink, his skating issues are all mechanical and can be easily corrected. And once again, another high profile hockey school that will help fix the skating deficiencies. He was being compared to Mark Recchi and as a huge number 8 fan, I would kill for another Recchi-like player in the lineup (Konecny also reminds me of the wrecking ball). 

Overall, I think Fletcher and Flahr had a very good draft. More important, Nick Pryor really stepped up and this was basically his draft. All the doom and gloom sayers have nothing to complain about. Fantastic first draft for Fletcher and company. Dare I say it, this draft was very Hextall-esque and I love that they swung for the fences on players with huge upside. Looking forward to free agency and then rookie camp.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

I know people were freaking out about Cam York on Twitter and CSN Philly, but this is a really good and solid pick.

I admit i did a little only because i wasn't real familiar and i liked Soderstrom too and then they trade back and Arizona takes him.

I had to do my research on the kid and he sounds like he is going to be a good one.

20 minutes ago, BobbyClarkeFan16 said:

As for Brink, his skating issues are all mechanical and can be easily corrected. And once again, another high profile hockey school that will help fix the skating deficiencies. He was being compared to Mark Recchi and as a huge number 8 fan, I would kill for another Recchi-like player in the lineup (Konecny also reminds me of the wrecking ball). 

This jump may rival the one Hextall made for Ratcliffe.

And the dark horse maybe Ronnie Attard....he put up 30 goals in 48 games this past season is a hell of a feat.

I usually don't have strong opinions about draft picks unless they seem way off-board or don't seem to align with the organization's needs at the time.  I just don't follow prospects enough to form an opinion.  That said, it seems that Fletcher had a really strong first couple of rounds.  I'm impressed by the maneuvering to drop only three spots and replace a second rounder.  Then, he was able to parlay that newly acquired second rounder with a third rounder into an even higher second rounder.  That's some pretty shrewd dealing.  Kudos to Fletcher.

As far as the players he chose, it seems you cannot find fault in the players themselves.  York sounds like a real gem and I think I heard some say he may even have been the top d-man in the draft.  Our defensive prospects are depleted by graduation, so the choice at 14 makes sense to me.  I won't get into whether Caufield or whoever else should have been chosen.  Time will tell and it seems like the York pick was logical.

Brink sounds like the same type of player some were upset about not selecting at 11 or 14.  I read in some places that Brink was a top 20 player in this draft.  Nice work getting him at 34.  I hear complaints about his skating.  The complaints seem to be that his stride is awkward.  But I haven't read that he's slow or clumsy or doesn't accelerate well.  Is the issue with his mechanics?  If he can otherwise skate well in terms of speed, agility and acceleration, why do people handwring over an ugly stride?  I do get that smaller players who exceed in the NHL usually do so because of they overcome their "short"comings with superior skating.  So, I'd be lying if I said his skating doesn't worry me a little.  But if the issue is awkwardness only, what is the big deal?

Anyway, for now, it seems like he acquitted himself well in his first draft.  

Hopefully passing on the likes of Boldy, Krebs, Caufield and Newhook doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. Trading down 3 spots for an early 2nd was pure highway robbery...especially (I thought) when it looked like one of those guys would fall to us. 

York is a fine pick, and a need in the prospect pool, so it was a good pick. Caufield to me is about as big of a boom or bust pick as you can get. You don't get a chance to pick that production that low too often. But he also got to play with Hughes and is puny. Krebs was top ten on everyones list....how the hell he fell all that way is ridiculous.

I'm pretty confident the top 2 picks become NHLers. Serdyuk could turn out to be a steal. I don't know a lot about some of these guys but there wasn't any brutal reaches. 

Any one else think Flyer management was trying to build a WWF dynasty?

Bobby Brink

Mason Millman

Roddy Ross

Bryce Brodzinski    :lol:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, vis said:

I usually don't have strong opinions about draft picks unless they seem way off-board or don't seem to align with the organization's needs at the time.  I just don't follow prospects enough to form an opinion.  That said, it seems that Fletcher had a really strong first couple of rounds.  I'm impressed by the maneuvering to drop only three spots and replace a second rounder.  Then, he was able to parlay that newly acquired second rounder with a third rounder into an even higher second rounder.  That's some pretty shrewd dealing.  Kudos to Fletcher.

As far as the players he chose, it seems you cannot find fault in the players themselves.  York sounds like a real gem and I think I heard some say he may even have been the top d-man in the draft.  Our defensive prospects are depleted by graduation, so the choice at 14 makes sense to me.  I won't get into whether Caufield or whoever else should have been chosen.  Time will tell and it seems like the York pick was logical.

Brink sounds like the same type of player some were upset about not selecting at 11 or 14.  I read in some places that Brink was a top 20 player in this draft.  Nice work getting him at 34.  I hear complaints about his skating.  The complaints seem to be that his stride is awkward.  But I haven't read that he's slow or clumsy or doesn't accelerate well.  Is the issue with his mechanics?  If he can otherwise skate well in terms of speed, agility and acceleration, why do people handwring over an ugly stride?  I do get that smaller players who exceed in the NHL usually do so because of they overcome their "short"comings with superior skating.  So, I'd be lying if I said his skating doesn't worry me a little.  But if the issue is awkwardness only, what is the big deal?

Anyway, for now, it seems like he acquitted himself well in his first draft.  

My first reaction to York was "whaaa?"  Not gonna lie. But it was never about him. He is going to be a good player. And it was not about Caufield.  I'm not using my #14 on someone who does ONE thing well (albeit very well) and uses the crossbar for chin-ups.  I did like some other forwards at 14, and especially at 11.

But really, the Flyers telegraphed that they were taking defense for days. I really shouldn't even have been thinking forward. 

I've never seen anywhere that York waa the best in draft, though arguably best offensive defenseman.  I have read that.  I suspect his game complements what AV wants to do better than Soderstrom (who was still on the board at #11). 

I know some here are anxious about college kids.  I share that.  But I think I previously read on this board that they're possibly not going to be able to sign some of their Scandinavian defensemen.  Maybe that was a factor. Maybe they really wanted either left shot or offense there.   Don't know, but I've really come around on that pick. 

I love the trading up for Brink. I'm stunned he was still there at #34.  But to me, that where you risk your pick on the smallish scoring winger (NOT at 14!).

Not a bad first couple of rounds. 

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I've never seen anywhere that York waa the best in draft, though arguably best offensive defenseman.  I have read that.

Maybe that's what I read.  Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I know some here are anxious about college kids.  I share that.  But I think I previously read on this board that they're possibly not going to be able to sign some of their Scandinavian defensemen.  Maybe that was a factor. Maybe they really wanted either left shot or offense there.   Don't know, but I've really come around on that pick. 

****.  I forgot to mention that in my post.  I am one of the folks anxious about picking college kids.  I mean, it's a big loophole.  Say what we want about the FO and some of its decision making at times, but the Flyers are generally a well-regarded organization and hopefully the college draftees see value in that.  I don't think they have had a history of losing college players to FA, but maybe that's because they haven't been faced much with that threat given the previous dearth of strong prospects (college or junior).  My one concern is York thinking he's roadblocked from getting a top 4 shot at some point.  I wouldn't shy away from selecting him, though.  

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I love the trading up for Brink. I'm stunned he was still there at #34.  But to me, that where you risk your pick on the smallish scoring winger (NOT at 14!).

Tend to agree on risk taking.  Read to me that Caufield didn't do much away from the puck, whereas it sounds like Brink can do other things.  Have to say, I've been impressed watching some of Brink's clips.